It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Menstruation and the Mooncup

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
We all know that the sea is becoming polluted to ridiculous levels, and a major contributor to the problem is tampons and sanitary towels.

Obviously, women are always going to have periods, but why are we not encouraged to choose a different method to deal with this time of the month?

Because the Government taxes tampons and sanitary products, and makes a steady income from them.

I have a product called a 'Mooncup' that collects menstrual blood and is emptied out and re-inserted.

For some reason, this repels and disgusts other women. Why?

It is safer than tampons, better for you, saves you money and is better for the environment by far.

Hardly anyone I speak to has even heard of them. That in itself speaks volumes to me about how serious the Government is in tackling environmental issues.

[edit on 19-6-2006 by Delta Alter]

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'm in 100% agreement with you.

Here's a thread on this subject. but not so much about the environmental issues as Medical ones.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Thanks, B -that's a really interesting thread.

Even my closest friends don't like to discuss this subject matter with me - they are in complete denial, unable to accept the alternatives that exist if you look for them. Some people just cannot bring themselves to stray from the 'norm.'

I hadn't heard of those other products- the Lunapads sound good, but even I am unsure about the whole 'sponge' malarky!

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Ok, first off, i will tell you that i am not a guy. So, therefore, i have never been though the pain of periods, the pain of inserting tampons, the uncomfortableness (sp?) of the entire thing.

I would think that women would not like to try a Mooncup, for a few reasons:

1) It is a new thing for them. People, and, in my experience, women expecially, do not like to try new things.

2) It carries a possibility of touching the menstrual blood. Pretty much everyone I know thinks that menstrual products are dirty, unclean, and will go out of their way to avoid touching such products.

3) Do you sterilise the mooncup everytime you empty it? does it take a long tim/is it easy to sterilise. The women I know would not like to re-insert a dirty or contaminated 'Mooncup', basically because of the risk of infection and Toxic Shock Syndrome, both of which can kill or sterilise the woman in question.

Thats just my two penn'eth worth, and its probably a misguided two penn'eth at that...

[edit on 12-7-2006 by duckiciao]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by duckiciao
Ok, first off, i will tell you that i am not a guy.

Don't you mean you ARE a guy?

Thank you for your 2 penneth worth!

I agree with your reasons for a woman not wanting to use one, but once they actually went ahead with it, they would realise it is nowhere as bad as it seems.

Women need to get used to their menstrual blood. It is far from 'dirty,' it is sterile as it as been in the womb. A natural part of a woman's cycle should never be abhorred.

A mooncup is very easy to sterilise, just boil it in a pan for a few minutes. You don't do this every time you empty it - all it needs is a rinse occasionally. It takes a surprisingly long time to fill up!

The risk of Toxic Shock is virtually nil with a Mooncup, read the thread mentioned earlier regarding the danger of tampons vs the Mooncup.

And thanks for your contributions, it's good to have a man's perspective on a subject they normally shy away from!

new topics

top topics

join