It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan says: "if a missle is dropped on us, it will be regarded as an attack" lol!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
ok i saw this article on the drudge report about Japan's take on this whole thing with north korea and the missle launch, and the headline was:

Japan says: if a missle is launced on us, it will be regarded as an attack

and im sorry i had to laugh. i mean..no freaking DUH!! who wouldnt regard a country aiming a missle at their country and hitting them as being an attack. even if it was an "opps" situation.

aside from my laughter with that headline...japan does seem to be freaking out a bit and i dont blame them. kim is a total lunatic and who knows if he wouldnt just point to a spot randomly on a map and go "WOOT!!! i pick this one. LAUNCH THE MISSLE!!!!!"

here is the article though on japans whole response to this impending situation.KIM STEP AWAY FROM THE BUTTON

Washington said Friday it will not sit idle. “We, of course, will take necessary preparatory steps to track any potential activities and to protect ourselves,” State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said. Such “protective steps” are presumed to include intercepting the missile at an early stage with Aegis destroyers in the East Sea. Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Aso warned if the missile is dropped on Japan, “it will be regarded as an attack." Tokyo says it will refer the matter to the UN Security Council for sanction

Cheerio!
Digitalgrl

mod edit to use external quote code, please review this link

[edit on 19-6-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]
[edit: fixed ex tags]

[edit on 6/19/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Kim step away from the button... lmao.

The thing is though there are: "Warnings that North Korea appears close to test-firing an intercontinental missile are escalating tensions..."

This warning from Japan should be considered a warning from the US too because Japan should really be considered a US state. So if anyone fires on the US expect Japan to fire back along with the U.S. and who knows else.

[edit on 18-6-2006 by Techsnow]

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Japan small though it is will not stand back and allow it. Tech sno is dead right on his statement of Japan and anyone else firing back. It is not a game to Japan or its allies. North Korea knows better but they might do it tomorrow as they have said just to see what will happen. Their president is just a little nuts I think to risk this. But perhaps nothing will happen. Tomorrow we will know.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   
definatly. Japan will back us and vise versa. That lil island has been through so much. aside from all of the natural disasters that have been occuring there, and the harrassment from China, the last thing they need to deal with is some insane dictator from Korea.

hey just a little side question..but is kim married? i cant imagine having him as a spouse. i think he just has a major napolean complex and with the pic that was just posted on drudge report, i think the U.S should ship him over some rogaine lol. couldnt we just trick him with a fake button? he'd go and push it and then a movie would be playing on his tv to make him think that something actually happened...hehehe.

but yea, i dont really think Korea is going to hit anyone when they do their missle launch. but i may be immune to the warnings because every single day i come on here there are dates posted for terrible disasters and time and time again nothing happens so when something does i think im going to be hysterical

thanks for your comments guys!
Digitalgrl

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I don't know if kim is married. I can't imagine being female (iam not) and waking up to him every morning. Scary picture.
Japan is not going to put up with this guy. If that missle launch happens and it comes even what looks close, there's gonna be a big problem.
I think he does or might have the Napoleonic thing going on. Rogain might help but Avacore might even work better.
I do know that there are now 3 carriers in that part of the world or might soon be. My brother is on one of those carriers somewhere. It's going to be interesting to see who flinches on this one. Doom and gloom is really old. I am a survivalist (using the term lightly) and they are not going to do it "YET". When they do it's gonna get hotter than Korean Kimshe.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Nth Korea will do what she has always done in this kind of situation.

Namely test-fire a missile into the sea letting everyone see the ranges they are apparantly capable of (although with weights etc unknown the detail will remain debatable).

The seeming current US fashion for claiming the leader(s) or leadership(s) of other countries, that take a totally different view as the US does, are 'crazy' might be a tabloid/Fox favourite but it still doesn't make it so.

They are not going to let the missile drop onto Japan......but no doubt scaring all 7 shades out of the Japanese is a bonus to them, given the history they 'share'.

.....and as for Japan, that poor lil island and her suffering?
I suggest a little look at the not too distant past and to the incredible, real, actual and grotesque suffering Japan was happy to dish out to China and Korea for decades.

China and Korea (either 'shade') have no reason to feel especially kindly towards the Japanese and given the forgotten and ignored genocide and barbarity Japan conducted in those 2 places not that long ago that should be very obvious reasons to anyone.

IMO Japan has only herself to blame, she managed to apologise for her 'war record' in a manner quite unlike that of Germany.
Equivocation and down-playing coupled with ambiguous comments (sometimes even skirting with justification) have all helped poison the atmosphere between these countries long after the conflict was over
(hell, there are plenty of ex-service personnel from the UK very p**sed off at Japan's cavalier attitude to this day, never mind the rest).

Japan's cruelly inhuman brutality and genocidal mass murder was quietly forgotten, completely ignored or worse just simply covered up (the biological warfare 'expertise' - look up unit 731 if you don't know about this 'episode' - they had 'tested' on unsuspecting innocent Chinese civilians was considered very valuable and so was quietly sought and bought).

[edit on 19-6-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Japan did some terrible things in WW2, they also paid for it by having most of their major cities incinerated along with large numbers of their inhabitants. Since then they've been one of the most peaceful countries on the planet. While not "disarmed" as many think, Japan has a small military when considered against their huge GNP, and one geared clearly for defensive purposes. With Japan's current huge economy and advanced technology, they could easily be a superpower, however they have continued to forsake any capability for power projection. They could develop nuclear weapons and the ICBM's to carry them in months, yet haven't.

So while they may not have abased themselves sufficiently for some, neither have they behaved in an imperialistic fashion for sixty years. For that matter the West has not had such a great record for acknowledging and apoligizing for it's own brutal wars of colonization, and it's was the West's behavior in Asia Japan was aping. For Japan in the early 20th century, modernity equaled the West equaled imperialism. They learned all their best dirty tricks from us.

As for North Korea, a state that has slaughtered far more of it's own citizenry than the Japanese ever did has a poor case for righteous indignation.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DigitalGrl
couldnt we just trick him with a fake button? he'd go and push it and then a movie would be playing on his tv to make him think that something actually happened...hehehe.

LOL, that'd work
I like your sense of humor!

Seriously though, I don't think Japan has much of a punch. Since WW2 they've had military "limits" imposed on them, meaning they can only keep a small force for defense only. I don't think they have any power projection, so any altercation with NK will likely need the US.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Damn, xmotex beat me to it

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Oh, yea...we should take that personally, by all means.

Them's fightin' nukes.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The Japanese are just warnin' Lil' Kim in case he thinks this is some kind of game. I got the feeling that japan would kick NK's butts big time if they got pissed off. Mind you Lil Kim always talks tough because he has China behind him or so he thinks.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I think you all just got owned by "Crazy Kim..." He is quoted as saying:

"I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track."

Ever cross your closed minds that maybe Kim WANTS you to think he is crazy? And judging from various accounts from people who have actually met him, including Madeline Albright, crazy is the last word used to describe him. He is cold and calculating, and the whole "insane" image is pretty much part of that strategy. I mean what better way to put your enemies on edge than to make them think you're crazy?

The lesson? Don't give a guy too much credit, but don't give a guy to little credit either. We can never defeat Kim Jong Il by playing into his hands.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by denythestatusquo
The Japanese are just warnin' Lil' Kim in case he thinks this is some kind of game. I got the feeling that japan would kick NK's butts big time if they got pissed off. Mind you Lil Kim always talks tough because he has China behind him or so he thinks.

Japan has absolutely no offensive capability, so I'm not sure where you are getting the idea Japan can kick North Korea's butt. They can defend against an attack (which is a useless prospect, since NK would never try to invade Japan), but to say Japan can go on an offensive campaign against North Korea is just plain false.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
[Eit: No need to quote the Entire preceeding nested post]

www.globalsecurity.org...

he Defense Agency's overall budget request for the fiscal year beginning 01 April 2004 amounts to 4.96 trillion yen, up 0.7 percent from the initial budget for fiscal 2003. This amounts to US$45.324 billion at the exchange rate [1 USD = 109.433 JPY ] prevailing in late 2003.

What's N. Korea's budget again? Defensive Armies can be easily used for offense btw. They also have the support of the USAF. No contest.

[edit on 6/19/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

he Defense Agency's overall budget request for the fiscal year beginning 01 April 2004 amounts to 4.96 trillion yen, up 0.7 percent from the initial budget for fiscal 2003. This amounts to US$45.324 billion at the exchange rate [1 USD = 109.433 JPY ] prevailing in late 2003.

What's N. Korea's budget again? Defensive Armies can be easily used for offense btw. They also have the support of the USAF. No contest.

But in denythestatusquo's case, he was talking Japan exclusively. Granted, in reality, they'd have the USAFs support. But we weren't assuming that at the time. Stick to the parameters, otherwise, I have no comment on that.

Defensive armies can be EASILY used for offense? Geez... that's the biggest paradox I've ever read. And ESPECIALLY not for Japan, whose military has been heavily restricted and tailored to conduct defensive operations only. Want proof? Take a look at that same page you linked to on GlobalSecurity, read up about Japanese military doctrine and take a look at the kind of systems the JSDF has. No need to tell me if there is any offensive capability in there of any kind.

As for budgets... last time I checked, my country has the largest military budget in the world, yet we fall short in actual performance to the militaries of countries like Canada. Budgets actually mean very little in terms of who has a winning (note not superior) military.

***END OF STORY***

EDIT: On a lighter note, I enjoy your Transhumanism Anarchism stance as well as your link "The World Is Changing."

[edit on 19-6-2006 by sweatmonicaIdo]

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I wouldnt want to mess with Japan. Even though they are currently limited to a "defensive force" with Japanese technology they could create a very offensive force in short order if push came to shove and they needed one. Honestly how long do you think it would take them to develop a nuclear weapon if they wanted?

Personally I think S Korea and Japan could handle N Korea without any other help as long as China didnt get involved.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I wouldnt want to mess with Japan. Even though they are currently limited to a "defensive force" with Japanese technology they could create a very offensive force in short order if push came to shove and they needed one. Honestly how long do you think it would take them to develop a nuclear weapon if they wanted?

Personally I think S Korea and Japan could handle N Korea without any other help as long as China didnt get involved.

Yeah, but would they use the nuke?

Its also a stretch to say "short order." One look at Japan's military shows they need a long period of development in order to develop an offensive force that is EFFECTIVE, and not just a conglomeration of offensive platforms.

No matter what the case, I think deterring a North Korean invasion or taking on North Korea offensively is probably the modern-day Ultimo military scenario. I think the Combined Forces would definitely win at the end, but at an insane cost in the end, that cost might render the victory not much of one at all.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
Yeah, but would they use the nuke?

If they got hit by a few from N Korea they very well might. I just used nuclear weapons really as a example because a country as advanced as Japan could likely create even a complex offensive weapon like long range nuclear missile in a fraction of the time it would take most countries.

Perhaps even in a matter of months compared to years. They have good experience in what are right now peaceful fields nuclear energy, orbital rockets etc.. which could easily be used on offensive weapon programs.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Perhaps even in a matter of months compared to years. They have good experience in what are right now peaceful fields nuclear energy, orbital rockets etc.. which could easily be used on offensive weapon programs.

But they'd need advance warning of some sort to convince the U.S. that they need a nuclear retaliatory capability. Nobody gets hit by a nuke and plans to strike back in a matter of months.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
While Japan's annoucement does seem silly, maybe they're just pointing out that they're not going to get pushed around like the US. That's right. A North Korean missle (or at least fragments of a NK missle) was found in Alaska about three years ago.

Read more here:
times.hankooki.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join