It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Cup fever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 06:07 AM
link   
How much money is invovle WC2006?

FIFA had many closed cases of corruption. ticket problems in the world cup and bribery?

anyone have an information or opoins to share on the business, economic, media and political side of the WC2006?

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 06:41 AM
link   
its add upto billions. right from the start when the stadiums are built, all the way through to the final and beyond. the winning country normally gets some sort of economic boost as well.

we are talking billions, thats why it is the hardest to win, so there obviously be also loads of corruption as well. countries would do anything to win that prize.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:28 AM
link   
the world cup or any stupid huge sports event is stupid and retarded they block all my fav tv shows and show some pretty boys running around tripping on nothing and screaming in pain retarded babys
and they get millions of dollars from it while little kids in some crappy country are fixing soccer balls for 2 cents WTF!!!!!!! turds

[edit on 3-7-2006 by dabomb]

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
the largest sporting event on the planet probably has more money involved in it than the entire income of 5 of the countries that are competing

especially when betting is factored in

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dabomb
the world cup or any stupid huge sports event is stupid and retarded they block all my fav tv shows

So that billions of people can watch it?? Yeah I think so..
There's nothing on tv that is more watched than the world cup.

and show some pretty boys running around tripping on nothing and screaming in pain retarded babys
and they get millions of dollars from it while little kids in some crappy country are fixing soccer balls for 2 cents WTF!!!!!!! turds

You obviously don't have any idea what immense efforts these guys have to do to get there, to that level of skill and experience. And how many fail. They are professionals in a guy played and watched by billions. Give them a break.

I have a relative that had bronchitis as a baby. Doctor's didn't expect him to have a normal life. They were right... He didn't. He worked his ass off his whole life, his parents have sacrificed most of their time in helping him with his goal of becoming a professional. And now he has played for the Dutch National team in a World cup, and two European cups; won three Champions League cups with three different teams (A European Record!) and in 2004 was named to one of the 125 greatest living football players. I have other relatives who have failed to reach the level he's achieved. Btw... Don't think that they underachieved in school either.

Correction.. I forgot the '96 Euro cup.. Three European cups..

[edit on 3-7-2006 by TheBandit795]

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The new German stadiums cost hundreds of millions each. The top players have contracts in the tens of millions. It's a LOT of money.

As an aside, the world cup is the only sports event I ever watch. I'm not a sports person, but for some reason, I like to catch a few games of world cup soccer now and then. That's the only reason I know the dollar amounts; they came up during some of the pre-game and intermission talking.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
the world cup is the pinnacle of international tournaments. no sporting event can match the emotions caused by the world cup in the player or fans for that matter. just look and see how much people care about their teams.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Those of you wanting to go to the world cup in 2010 might want to look here first!

www.crimexposouthafrica.co.za...

Will SA be ready for World Cup 2010? : Mail & Guardian OnlineMail & Guardian Online:

Will SA be ready for World Cup 2010? ... fans will be confronted with poverty and unsightly shacks, and crime is shockingly high. ...

www.mg.co.za/articlepage.aspx?area=/breaking_news/ breaking_news__national/&articleid=275986

FIFA denies plans to move 2010 World Cup to Australia
AngolaPress, Angola - 4 Jul 2006
... move the 2010 Soccer World Cup to Australia if South Africa is unable to host the event. It was reported over the weekend that because of serious crime problems ...

www.angolapress-angop.ao...

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I strongly believe they will move the 2010 World Cup,
due to crime problems and the fact that some are reporting the facilities are not even ready to host the World Cup. I know FIFA really want a World Cup held in Africa, but if its going to cause major problems, they should move it.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
there is no way that they will move the world cup from south africa now. it would cost too much money, piss off africa and most importantly no where else would be even prepared in time to host the event. it is a major undertaking to organize such events. it just wont happen.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I heard Morocco offered FIFA a lot of money to put it in morocco but the FIFA refused.

Why they put the WC in the country with the highiest crime rate?

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
What can I say about the WC? What can I say about all of these highly advertised sporting events? Super Bowl? Stanley Cup? etc etc.

While I think it's great to get out there and be athletic and have fun doing it... that's completely out of the meaning behind these sporting events, which is too bad.

It used to exist. In a time not so far away. But now, it's all about the $$$ and the publicity stunts, and the advertising (which essentially means $$$), and the halftime fuss, and the yadda yadda yadda.

Everyone made such a big piss up about FIFA. I really wonder why? In the big picture, what does it signifye to this Universe? Sweet F A.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I think SA will be on track for the WC in 2010. (Of course there will be many ministers arrested first on fraud charges...always) but the police are very good at locking down the areas of play and directing traffic flow, fans etc.

We just had Manchester United play against some local teams in Durban where the new stadium is being built and it went down smoothly. I think Ive got a pic of what the 2010 stadium will look like when complete - It looks pretty cool.

The only problem I see is - Like with any major city, there are places you go & places you dont and its VERY advisable that you find out where you can & cant go if visiting. - THeres Hilton hotels etc so show the host your itinerary and ask advice and you will have no problems

(I found the pic) - The smaller stadium on the left is where MAN UTD just played last weekend. That grey bit in the middle is the train station so if commuting by train, you will be funneled straight to the stadium with no problems. I suggest doing an image google search for Durban - Its not half as bad as most of you think it is. Theres a serious negative stereotype that we all live in mud huts and cant speak english, have pet lions and theres zebra on the runway but I seriously beg to differ. (Based on my time spent in the UK) Im a young white male, and this one girl in the UK said "You speak english very well, did you learn how to speak English before you came over?" LOL!!

In MANY ways I found Durban to be much better than London and the Northern districts.

new topics

top topics

join