It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ads popping up over thread?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   
The past few days I have opened threads only to have a big ad pop up over the thread. Yes I am logged in.

Seems to be a glitch somewhere. It doesn't seem to be in the thread itself, since if I back out of it and go back into it, it doesn't happen again on the same thread.

Anyone else finding this?

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I have not crossed this yet, and I really hope I never have to. Nothing I hate more than going to a website and having a huge ad popup over the screen, blocking most of the page. TSN.ca is really bad for this and it drives me.

Hopefully this is not something we will have to come accustomed to on ATS.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I have been getting it too, they go away but it is anoying as heck.
But that is about it though, nothing like a typical pop up, just a layering over kind of one.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Yes, every first visit. Usually it's a big 3D smiley advert. And I have a pop-up blocker cause it's built into Netscape 7.1.

Happens at some other sites too - Google Toolbar couldn't block it either. They also leave cookies on your computer - and I have my cookie settings on custom so that shouldn't be able to happen. The evil has obviously by now found out what the various blocks and settings use in their code and has changed their advert-coding so as to bypass what is there to keep them out.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Yes, layering is a more accurate description, it's not like a typical pop up but more of an ad that should be locked in the page somewhere floating over it instead.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
~~

most every time i get to my front door,
i fish out my house key...

i then turn the doorknob or press the latch
~~~regardless if i needed the key~~~

i've become accoustomed to this rote routine,

i click off these adverts & purge any Ads underneath the site page,
its become as normal as opening my front door anymore.

~zen~

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
There is no ad code anywhere in ATS that allows a "layered" ad, or that initiates a pop-up (we killed all pop-up code in the board pages, even for non-members).

If you experience this, please see what you can do to determine where it is coming from. It's possible that one advertiser's banner is improperly triggering a popup, and if discovered, we will kill it.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   
It's on now, I was thinking it may be the service provider, but I do recall it being ad specific.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Just want to back R's experience up here. This has happened to me at least three times in the past 24 to 48 hours. I know it has happened to Springer as well because he commented on it last night.

What's exceptionally aggravating about it (other than I just flat hate having to close something in order to see what I'm trying to read) is they are a "paired" pop-up. In other words, when you close the first one, you immediately get a second one.

Damn the pop-up people!

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Pop ups here also. Started early yesterday for me. When I bounce to and from the ATS homepage in Firefox I get a smaller ad but it hides itself to a degree behind the home page. And sometimes when closing the first pop up another is triggered. Weird because I have all my add blockers set and until early yesterday I never got them near as frequently and on none of my other sites.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I'm wondering if it's a PC-specific thing. I use a Mac with the Safari browser, and have never received one.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:21 AM
link   
One other note - if I just back out of the thread it is gone (I don't have to close it and it is not behind in another window.)

Also want to back up it is not a particular ad, I have seen more than one. One time when it happened I refreshed the page and it went to the top replacing the ad that is suppossed to be on the top of the page, so there might be a glitch in the advertising itself.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I suffer from the "double" pop-up problem as well. It usually occurs every couple days. It happens when I load up the main page as I never go directly to any other forum pages.

I simply figured our transition to remove pop-ups had not yet occurred.

I can't remember the exact URLs, however I do know that one of the pop-ups is definitely from TribalFusion, and it relates to the 3d animated smileys.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I've never seen the paired pop-ups, and I've only rarely gotten the problem, but I have seen it. It's been the same ad everytime it happens. It IS a pretty annoying problem. I'll see what I can find out about it next time it happens.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I just got one from militarychannel.com
It was nice though...I like that channel, but that was a layered pop over thingy.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I just got one of the pop-ups and caught it on a screencap...hope this is helpful in tracking them down.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I use Firefox and have not gotten one yet.

Could they be Browser specific?

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
I use Firefox and have not gotten one yet.

Could they be Browser specific?

I think they are, i get them with MSIE but, like you nada when I'm running Mozilla firefox... Must be the wonder of Microsoft.

Springer...

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Just wanted to say I got the same one Valhall got.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I have a PC and run IE and I got one not too long ago, If I recall it sort of originated from the normal ad at the top of the page, and I couldn't close it, as soon as I attempted to close the ad it opened up again covering a good majority of the page, annoying to say the least.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join