It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrorism is in the eye of the beholder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   
We in the UK and US are being bombarded by our governments and media with alleged threats of bombings by "terrorists", and yet we are given little or no evidence that confirms any of these threats.

Thats not to say that the threat does not exist, I could neither confirm or deny.

Are the additional funds thrown into "Homeland Security" actually making a difference?

Would those funds have stopped 9/11 or 7/7?

Whats to stop a "terrorist" walking into a department store and gunning down "innocent" shoppers?

IMO, no amount of money would have stopped 7/7, an independent cell made up of what appeared to be everyday people who had jobs and were just living their lives and offered up no suspicion.

How does, pouring billions into additional security stop home grown "terrorism"?

Living in the highly cosmopolitan London, I know for sure that there is not a hope in hell of additional funds stopping acts of "terrorism" it is not a battle that can ever be won.

The UK police recently performed a high profile raid on suspected "terrorists" in Forrest Gate , London. Requiring 250 police officers in the actual raid and god knows how many thereafter to perform a search of the property and then perform forensics tests, and to what end?

Zilch.....not one particle of evidence found, the reason given for this raid. A "reliable" informant, and the raid didn't even take place until the occupants had been observed for sometime....money well spent.

I guess if I point my finger at my neighbour and declare them to be a witch I would be afforded a similar response.

So if this threat is so prevalent, why are there not more acts of "terrorism"?

I don't expect much argument on this subject as even the far right wingers can't answer it, Why?....because even they know we are being conned.

[edit on 17-6-2006 by Koka]

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I take it that due to the lack of response, you all agree with what I am getting at?

So we are all in agreement that we are being conned by our governments and manipulated by the media?

YES/NO?

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
pretty much.

I have been saying that: if there was a real WoT, then why are there no little attacks?
Nothing at all since 911(in america)? If there was a real Jihad against us there would be terror attacks everyday somewhere in this country. A mini-mall here; a gas station there; but, no, nothing at all save the grandest scheme ever to hit our soil.

Not to mention the coincidence of tape releases from the "terrorists" coinciding seemingly flawlessly with Administration timing for agenda or PR purposes.
This Amdinistration has been all to eager to take firm measures of control over the Constitution and further squeeze our personal rights. This over-eagerness, to me, stood out as one of the bigger reasons I feel there is some complicity on the govts part.

I dont believe for a moment that the terrorists are ONLY going to pull off huge David Copperfield type events. I dont buy the arguement that since we are fighting over there that we are stopping them here. This doesnt make sense to me since anyone can be a terrorist and according to the Patriot act; we are ALL potential terrorists.

Then you have the Defense contractors. These guys are making a killing off this unending war. Their stocks keep going up and they keep getting contracts.

there are too many Big corporates involved in our govt. to not see that the govt. has been taken over by the corporate interest(oil, investment bankers, defense contractors)
Remember, from a business perspective: there is no greater customer than a repeat customer. Why have a war with an end. The WoT is the perfect war for: defense contracters; oil magnates, investment bankers.

thanks for your time

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
i hate to say it mate but your right

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Guess I hit the nail on the head, thanks for the informed response TONE23, I couldn't agree more.

8th

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I agree. Its hard to actually see whats being put forth, if anything at all. Who the hell knows. All most of us can know, it what the media feeds us. I try not to watch too much television.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koka
Guess I hit the nail on the head, thanks for the informed response TONE23, I couldn't agree more.

you really did hit the nail on the head.

Ive been wondering about the lack of attacks for quite a while. It seems as though not too many people even ponder this scenario.

I cant help but think of that movie "Wag the Dog" where the Admin. fakes an entire war. It is often said that art mimics life.

It will be interesting to see if you DO get any responses that differ from ours on this matter. I can almost garauntee you that the number one answer you will get from supporters of the WoT is:

Our fighting them over there is what is stopping them from hitting us here.

This is such a manufactured answer put forth from the MSM and our govt. leaders. It is often parroted by those that do not really want to think about the answer and feel like they are in the "know" because they caught the latest Fox,CNN,MSNBC, etc. interview in which some retired genital(general) is blabbing out the above bold texted line.

hopefully we will see some more original responses then the one I posted.
we shall see

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koka
I take it that due to the lack of response, you all agree with what I am getting at?

So we are all in agreement that we are being conned by our governments and manipulated by the media?

YES/NO?

YES and NO

I think the governments certainly make the most of the situation, but it's also silly to write off any news you hear just because it doesn't suit your own agenda. I think some serious attacks have indeed been foiled - maybe as a result of the money that's pumped into anti-terrorism or from intelligence gathered overseas. Of course, there's also some of spin on it as well.....that's just "propaganda 101". But you can't write it all off.

The way I see it, there is a chance of a major terrorist attack (I don't believe the terrorists are completely fictional) but at the same time we had the same situation with the IRA in Britain for decades and we didn't have to live in a "climate of fear" then. However, the way the current US and UK government work is by manipulating us with this fear. Yes, there is definitely a threat, but they make sure they're darn well going to use it to their own advantage. Not to mention business deals, oil deals, arms sales, building and reconstruction contracts....there's a lot of fingers in a lot of pies.

As for the media, I think it's more a symptom of the "info-tainment" age we live in now. There are a million channels, web sites, newspapers, magazines, RSS feeds, e-mail and text alerts, etc, that need constant news and gossip to keep them going. So they're going to exaggerate and sensationalize everything to get a good story. Sure, there's probably some government influence here and there (that's always been the way), but I think it's, once again, just them making the most of the situation.

Basically, I don't see any big government/media conspiracy to turn life into some 1984-type nightmare where we're all brainwashed sheeple. I think there is a real threat, but we're all being "played" to some degree as well.

[edit on 18-6-2006 by Curio]

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I think that what really narks me about this particular issue is the apathetic attitude which greets it.

At the moment the government/media could call a square a triangle and there are those that would wilfully accept it as fact and there are those that accept it cos' it doesn't affect them.

I try not to get dragged too heavily into the big conspiracies, but if I do I tend to look toward the finer aspects, looking toward that one weak link which breaks the chain.

This is one of my previous posts which you might find interesting:

Damning Evidence for 9/11 Conspiracy

I've yet to hear a valid argument on this particular subject.

p.s. TONE23 - I assume you're a Pete Tosh fan and into reggae?...

[edit on 18-6-2006 by Koka]

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Great thoughts on this thread. I couldn't agree more.

It does seem the powers that be are milking this terrorism for every cent it's worth. I wonder how much this threat is ballooned out of proportion in order to scare the plebs. A majority of attacks (foiled or otherwise) seems to be connected to this huge Al Qaeda network. How true it is, we'll never know. I do recall of someone mentioning (I can't say when or where) that the 'Al Qaeda' name was invented by someone in CIA for the purpose of giving the enemy a label, and of making it seem like a larger network of terrorists working together.

Now when you have a common enemy, you can put forward any plan, no matter how absurd, and tell people it will help in defeating this foe and in-turn denounce anyone as being unpatriotic who disagrees with it. As we all know the Neocons had a plan developed with 'Project for a New America' which brings us back to the 'new pearl harbour' incident. I'm sure any detective working a case would look at something like this and call it a motive.

IMO I do reckon their are some people out their making a lot of money off this, whilst making it easier for themselves to govern a nation.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Well . . . Why is still more acts of terrorism?

While this question will be very easy to answer with a simple As long as is muslin we are going to have terrorist. I will take a different approach to answer. . .

First let’s see who the newest targeted people in this new war on terror . . . given birth first by the present US administration and taken by his closes ally the UK.

If we are to consider the reasons behind the targeting we most go back various decades to the very first time that the Middle East found oil.

Then we most advance to the time in which US and UK has gotten involve in the Middle East one way or the other.

Then we most ask ourselves the question of who is defending what and how.

It seems to me that the reasons of the war on terror is nothing more than the results of bad polices, war, invasions and meddling through years in the affairs of the middle eastern nations taking sides with the governments that are friendly to the US through coercion and alienating the ones that sees to fight the meddling of foreign nations in their lands.

Is so obvious that you have to be blind no to see it. . .

Look at the nations that have oil and see which ones the war on terror has been wagged against. . .
Saudi is not part of the Axis of evil because their ruling class are willing partners no necessarily the rest of the population.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I tend to think that the extreme apathy is a relativley new phenomenon, I know some method(s) of acheiving it have been formatted and practiced for a long time, but I bet some new tools have been added to that toolbox as of late. Since we can now all be labeled 'terrorists' and abducted and held indefinitly with no due process, I think its safe to say that being a 'terrorist' is a pretty broad title.
I used to think that the terrorist were propagated monsters only. I knew of course that there were some crazy-ass fanatics, not un-like other religions. Now I realize that because their system of theocracy leaves no stone unturned when forcing thier religion down the throats of their people, and their children learn to hate a jew before they can read or write. Those people are very truley being oppressed. The hate itself is the propaganda. The hate that people have for one another is real, you can be infinatly sure of that. but it is being guided very carefully, where it can serve the most. our political system is a watered down version of that same tactic. I realize that this assumtion suggest a much earlier infiltration of the system but Im prepared to defend that argument.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
remember that one terrorist group that used to have a huge influence on american politics, they wore hoods and harassed, abused, and killed minorities?

yeah, terrorism isn't new, the USA has had it since the civil war

new topics

top topics

join