It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What True Motivation for Hawaii's Nat'l Monument?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
*Mods - If I posted this in the wrong area, please move it for me*

First and foremost, I am focusing on the notion of whether or not this is a political conspiracy for other means other than the ones that we have seen in the media. I am not posting this to bash the president, I am just stating the facts as I see them, and how they have been covered through various media outlets.

After reading through the thread about the Hawaiian National Monument that has been put into place by President Bush, I thought it would be interesting to take a look at exactly how this stands, when compared to environmental issues that have been taken up (or not taken up) by the same administration. I decided to see if I could provide evidence that this is purely a political stunt to further divide the two main political groups: One, the Republicans who are trying to bolster their support in an election after having a president with low ratings. And two, the Democrats who take this as a stunt for publicity, while leaving the open chance of a backlash, for not caring for something they are supposed to stand for. Divide the people even more is the way of the game, and this stinks of divisive issues. Therefore, this is what I have found about the administration and its lack of concern for the environment, which leaves me in the belief that this is yet another game being played by the administration to save face before November elections. After gathering the information that I have provided below, new questions arose. Why exactly did this turn occur at this moment, and why is it that it took this long for something positive to happen from this administration in dealing with the environment.

Alaskan Wildlife Refuge Drilling Approved in Senate

The Senate voted narrowly Wednesday to open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska to oil drilling, a defeat for environmentalists who had fought the measure for decades and a major win for President Bush and Republican efforts to boost domestic energy production.

Bush, in a news conference Wednesday, indicated he is ready to sign the measure as soon it reaches his desk. He called it "a way to get some additional reserves here at home on the books."

Problem: One such animal to be greatly affected by the offshore drilling, will be polar bears. Female polar bears are very sensitive to disturbances in the area of their dens. When a female polar bear is disturbed, she can abandon the den, while the young cubs are doomed to death inside without the ability to fend for themselves or gather food. Damage to the habitat would of course lessen food supplies, introduce the bears to potentially deadly toxins, and possibly cause death due to overheating/exhaustion while fleeing from overhead aircraft, ships, and other vehicles. These pristine creatures would be placed in danger for the consumption of oil. Of course, our President was more than willing to sign a bill in that would work as a temporary solution, while putting less effort into alternative resources, and endangering animals. Not exactly what I would consider typical from a man, so lovingly concerned with the environment. Source Info

President Bush Approves Nevada Nuclear Waste Dump

President Bush approved Nevada's Yucca Mountain on Friday as the site for long-term disposal of thousands of tons of highly radioactive nuclear waste.

Nevada's Republican governor, Kenny Guinn, said he was outraged. Within hours, Nevada filed suit in federal court arguing the way the Energy Department came to its conclusions in recommending the site violated a 1982 nuclear waste law. The suit had been expected.

Problem: According to a report, this would lead to an impact on wildlife, which construction and usage of a railing would entail. You would have animals losing their grazing area, and the habitats themselves would be altered. There are apparently two grazing allotments in Crescent Valley that would be affected by this, as well. Again, I do not see how someone that is so keen on creating a National Monument to protect ocean life is also happy with supporting such a move to disrupt the life of land animals. Source Info

White House Played a Role in Easing Drilling-Runoff Rules

The Bush administration intervened in crafting new regulations exempting oil and gas operations from having to control dirt and debris washing into streams, according to documents.
The changes in storm-water runoff rules - mandated by Congress' 2005 Energy Bill - went into effect Monday.
Runoff of toxic substances, such as grease or petroleum byproducts, still would require a permit. Where the EPA and Bush administration went further, environmentalists say, is in allowing sediment, such as dirt and debris, to flow from drilling sites into streams without regulation.

Problem: Dumping such debris into streams and other bodies of water would have an obvious impact on animal life, plant life, and ultimately human life. Animals would begin to lose their habitat, as the water would eventually become inaccessible, move to other areas if they are to survive. This could potentially lead to animal life coming into closer contact with humans, which would put humans at risk. Wouldn’t a president that cared about animal life try to avoid this from happening, instead of sanctioning it? Source Info

1 of 2

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Bush Stands Behind Rejection of Kyoto Treaty

President Bush is holding fast to his rejection of mandatory curbs on greenhouse gases that are blamed for global warming, despite a fresh report from 300 scientists in the United States and seven other nations that shows Arctic temperatures are rising.

This week, a four-year study of the Arctic will document that the region is warming rapidly, affecting global climates.

Scientists project that industrial gases such as carbon dioxide will make the Arctic warmer still, which would raise the level of the seas and make the earth hotter. The world's atmosphere now includes about 380 parts per million of carbon dioxide, compared with 280 parts per million in 1800, according to scientists.

Russian President Vladimir Putin signed the Kyoto international climate treaty last week, which puts it into effect early next year without U.S. participation. The treaty requires industrial nations to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases below 1990 levels.

Problem: As we increase greenhouse gasses, the inevitability of heating the atmosphere will allow waters to rise from melting ice in the Artic, causing fluctuations in water levels in many areas far away from the effected ice. Climates in different areas can change causing species to face either migration, adaptation, or death. The introduction of different species to established areas is a formula proven to cause problems with the animals already inhabiting the area, which has been proven time and time again to cause severe damage to the ecological system. Our president has shown that money is an issue over the salvation of the planet. How is it that other countries were able to easily sign this treaty, while one of the global superpowers was afraid of the financial loss? The higher road was left unpaved for the lower path that will surely affect many animals, including the ones that will be “protected” by this monument in Hawaii.

Administrat ion Plans to Remove Endangered Species Protections from Yellowstone Grizzly Bear

The Department of Interior said today that the grizzly bear population that lives in the Yellowstone area had recovered and no longer needed protection under the Endangered Species Act, but that four other grizzly populations in the United States were still at risk and would continue to be listed as threatened species.
Some conservationists criticized the announcement, saying the proposal to remove the bear from the list opened up its habitat to encroachment and industry, and made it likely that its numbers could go down again with regulated hunting. Others said it was a success story for the Endangered Species Act.

Problem: Logging, oil drilling, development, roads, and off road vehicles are among the factors that still endanger the habitat that the bears use as their home. The species has been on the Endangered Species list since 1975. This listing has allowed the bears to fall under stringent protection rules, and has helped the animal to start rebuilding its population. By proposing the removal of the species from the list, it becomes more difficult to enforce the regulations that go into protecting this animal. A president that cares about the fish in Hawaii, should also care about the Yellowstone Grizzly. Source Info

These are just a few examples of what has been done by this administration to show disregard towards the environment in exchange for corporations and themselves for profit. How is it that a man that has been so apt to deny environmentalists with even a fair middle ground is now the environmental savior of Hawaii’s waters? What motivations other than elections can there be for the administrative branch’s control over this area? Why did it take 6 years for this president to finally decide to do something good for the environment, when time and time again, he has shown a lack of compassion after all this time? There seems to be something stinky with this Hawaiian water, and I assume that it is something that the good people of ATS could help me figure out.

2 of 2

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Tunas w/good taste.

www.etfriends.com...

THE DOLPHINS AND MYSTERIOUS LIGHTS IN THE OCEAN

Joan Ocean, M.S.

One of the Speakers at our Dolphin and E.T. Civilizations Conference in June, 2005 is Dr Richard Sauder. I invited him to be a speaker because I was fascinated by his research of Underground and Underwater Bases. He has been gathering information about these oceanic sub-marine bases for decades.

I am interested because I have seen artificial lights down deep in the ocean; large white lights that are approximately 3 – 5 feet across, facing upward to the surface and illuminating the water. It is difficult to determine their exact size because the movement of the water expands and diffuses the light.

As someone who has been swimming in the local waters of the Big Island for two decades I have seen many amazing sea creatures and unusual phenomena, such as whalesharks and giant jellyfish. But these lights remain in one place beaming a continuous stream of light while my boat circles around them. These are not rays from the sun that are everywhere at once. We can swim away from these light beams and return to see them still there. Entering the water and diving down 50 feet, I can see that this bright light is still far below. This type of light is seen in water that is more than a mile deep. Many people traveling on boats with me have seen this phenomenon.

In addition to these lights, many of us on the Big Island have experienced large, transparent, sphere-shaped Balls of Light as big as a ballroom, while swimming among the dolphins. These spheres are near the ocean’s surface and are 60 to 80 feet around. My rational mind wants to identify it as plankton or algae. But after 20 years in the ocean, I know these Spheres of Light are not plankton or algae. This white mist is something I have been experiencing for the past 6 years at Keahole Bay. It seems to be alive and pulsing.

This is how we interact with these Domes of Light. We notice the dolphin pods of approximately 150 dolphins swimming close to shore. They come to our boat and then bring us to these milky-white plasma balls. They seem to want us to go there and so they lead us directly to it. When we swim inside, we can see nothing beyond our hands. We cannot see each other or the dolphins. We cannot even see our own feet. It is unusual to tread water, see our heads above the surface and then look below and see no bodies! It feels like our body is in two different dimensions.

Within the White Sphere we can hear the dolphins’ sounds. Swimming just outside of this Plasma Field, we can no longer hear them.

We often swim in and out of this huge floating plasma ball for 2-3 hours. When we finally swim away and board the boat to return to land, we feel very etheric and lightheaded. We experience a quiet peacefulness, serenity, a heightened awareness of Beauty all around us, and a deep feeling of inner joy and gratitude.

I am very interested to hear from other people who have seen similar ocean anomalies. Please write and let me know if you have heard of this or seen it.

Dr. Richard Sauder will share his knowledge of underwater bases and ETs, the Navy and the dolphins at our Dolphin and E.T. Civilizations Conference in June 2005. www.ETFriends.com/conference

new topics

join