It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking news: Plague Spreading in Africa

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by 25cents
god forbid i ever meet any of you people in person. i'm not a racist by any means, but some of the things i say in humor would have you people foaming at the mouth. buncha pansies.

Funny how this starts off so many sentaces that never end well.

It's just like the old joke:

How does every racist joke start?
(look over left shoulder, look over right shoulder)

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
A quarantine on Africa wont be necessary the poor standard of living, the small under educated communitys and the poor sanitation will do the job anyway. Dying people can hardly walk out of the country.

The Aid and resources should be used where they are going to do the most good saving aids infected people from the plague is hardly an effective use of resouces. Save those that at least have a chance of surviving the next decade.

Its sad but if africa is to have any chance of improving this century some tough decisions are going to have to be made ( i would start with an arms embargo against the U.S and ukrain/russia first but that aint gonna happen anytime soon).

Isnt the real world a nice place.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
"If someone believes that a country is 'too messed up' to sort out and let them die from plague they may also believe the same about other groups of humans, like Astyanax said it opens the doors to doing the same with single mothers or drug users, depending on who hates who."

There is a difference between single moms, drug users (me) and dying countries. What you suggest is that by letting nature take it's course in Africa we are committing genocide. I will correct you and say no it is not we will have done nothing besides sit and wait.

See not all of us drug users live on the street especially up here in Canada where everybody smokes weed and as for single moms they do not suffer from illness nor do they live in a place where everyone around them is dying off anyway. I am not suggesting segregation of population thus there is no comparrison I just think Most of Africa is beyond repair and we do not have the resources or the means to save that many dying countries.

To be honest with you If this was happening anywhere else and is I still think the same thing in regards to the issue. Disease etc is natures way of taking off the load.

As for Superviruses etc coming from Africa I can name one and it's called Ebola. If this was unleashed in a large city like New York for example how many people do you think would die? Ebola is one of the fastest spreading, fastest killers on the globe. It is responsible for killing huge ammounts of people and it's killing power is potentially way higher if there was another huge outbreak. For those people who wish to come here they should take disease screening before entry to ensure they ar not carriers of potentially dangerous diseases.

Again can someone look up genocide because doing nothing is found no where in the definition nor the outlined terms in which genocide can be declarred by doing this.

I say leave them alone see what happens if they cannot survive then that's how nature intended it to be. It is not our responsibility to care for the entire planet. These people should be helping themselves as opposed to pouring us pouring time, money, food, medicines and guess what seeing no results.

This is not a matter of hatred but a matter of logic and common sense and I'm sorry if you disagree but it's not like we are throwing these people into concentration camps or imposing anything they are fading out on their own as many cultures and civilizations have over the course of human history.

Dae

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Doctor
What you suggest is that by letting nature take it's course in Africa we are committing genocide. I will correct you and say no it is not we will have done nothing besides sit and wait.

Yes I do. If we have medication to help these people to survive the plague and we dont give it to them because they have 'evil dictatorships', then yes, its genocide. Wilfully standing by letting people die unnecessarily

I just think Most of Africa is beyond repair and we do not have the resources or the means to save that many dying countries.

What on earth is a dying country? Because a country isnt being run by your standards then they should all be left to die when we can help them?

I say leave them alone see what happens if they cannot survive then that's how nature intended it to be.

Are we not part of nature? People I mean. People who have developed science to fight these death causing agents. For instance, child birth is not as dangerous as it used to be (western civ)... as nature intended it to be, are you suggesting we stop these practices? Perhaps the next time you visit the doctor or dentist you stop and tell yourself that its as nature intended and go back home.

It is not our responsibility to care for the entire planet.

Who is 'our' anyway? I disagree (what a surprise! lol) I believe it is, time to grow up and take responsibility

These people should be helping themselves as opposed to pouring us pouring time, money, food, medicines and guess what seeing no results.

I understand where youre coming from, honest! It does seem like a waste, dont let capitalism/economics do that, people want to help (chairty) but through our insane monetary system its like using a water pistol to put out a forest fire.

This is not a matter of hatred but a matter of logic and common sense and I'm sorry if you disagree but it's not like we are throwing these people into concentration camps or imposing anything they are fading out on their own as many cultures and civilizations have over the course of human history.

Again I understand the logic. I personally didnt think you had hatred, I just think you dont care, which from people who do care, it can seem like hatred. Reminds me of a quote about good men doing nothing.

I suppose the crux of it is this, you dont believe that standing by and doing nothing is genocide and Im saying it is, or at least accessory to genocide.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
"I suppose the crux of it is this, you dont believe that standing by and doing nothing is genocide and Im saying it is, or at least accessory to genocide."

It is a fact that it is not genocide.

But anywho we have overcome disease, opression and poor living conditions whether it be Europe or the great depression even Asia. We overcam our obstacles and advance it is now their turn to take responsibility for their own. If they cannot do this then perhaps these people just weren't mean't to be.

People have faced nearly impossible odds and have overcame them.

It is not only disease and war killing people in these areas. Extreme drout and deplorable weather conditions havee done a good job at turning fertile land into desert along with locusts etc. These people are literally beyond saving seriously We have no cures for Ebola and HIV and by the time we figure out how to cure viruses they will already be dead or dying. I consider it just another step in humanities legacy to move on and progress even further.

I find it Ironic how the cradle of life has now become deaths hand. the land that spwned human life is no longer supporting it.

People need to face the facts that most of these people are already dead and that there is literally nothing you can do to save them.

I am also not responsible for these people picking oppresive leaders that is their own faults they can fix it.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Doc, If you saw your brother with his foot stuck in a train track, with a train on its way, but you have plenty of time to rescue him, would you? After all, if he's not strong or smart enough to avoid the train, then isn't it natures will to have him die?

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   
"Doc, If you saw your brother with his foot stuck in a train track, with a train on its way, but you have plenty of time to rescue him, would you? After all, if he's not strong or smart enough to avoid the train, then isn't it natures will to have him die?"

There is a huge difference if you can actually save somebody. In the case of a large part of Africa where millions will die in years to come we cannot do anything for them accept keep giving them aid and handouts without them helping themselves it is a losing battle one in which these people must be willing to battle on their own. Because they do not seem to be capable of this it will be years of usless attempts to acheive the inacheivable.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Funny how this starts off so many sentaces that never end well.

It's just like the old joke:

How does every racist joke start?
(look over left shoulder, look over right shoulder)

god forbid anyone remember the second part of that joke.

how does every racist joke end?

HILARIOUSLY!!

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Doctor
There is a huge difference if you can actually save somebody. In the case of a large part of Africa where millions will die in years to come we cannot do anything for them accept keep giving them aid and handouts without them helping themselves it is a losing battle one in which these people must be willing to battle on their own. Because they do not seem to be capable of this it will be years of usless attempts to acheive the inacheivable.

Okay lets update the scenerio,
Your brother, train tracks, crowbar near your feet that he askes you to throw to him. Once he has that crowbar he can pry himself loose and save his own life. What do you do?

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LovingSoul
I cannot believe that I am reading such prejudiced, biased claptrap! I live in Africa and let me tell you I would not live in the US of A if you paid me millions and millions of dollars! Astyanax and The_Doctor should be ashamed of themselves.

prejudiced? I think they're just sayig they don't want a disease that could have been stopped easily, had the african population practice more sanitation. I agree it's very generalized, and not very nice, but it's just his opinion. Also, I believe they're reffering to 'Sub-Saharan' Africa, not Morocco or Egypt, where the population is much cleaner (muslim religion teaches cleanliness, or so I've heard).

And besides:

I fervently hope that you two (and your ilk) will be infested by the fleas of a million plague carrying rats! I'm absolutely disgusted by your ignorance and superiority complex.

Saying that makes you no better, and in my opinion worse, than who you originally detested against. They didn't wish Africans got diseases. In fact, just the opposite, they want Africa to clean up it's act and stop spreading disease. They want the continent to 'get well' so to speak, albiet is a not very nice way.

In my country we live happily with each other, we have a beautiful city much sought after by tourists from your country and Europe, amongst others, we have a pretty good education system and a healthy distrust of "the developed world".

I"m happy that you live in a peaceful place in Africa (assuming you're in Sub-Saharan), as there is tons of unrest and rioting throughout. But this is not due to the people living there, but do to the people controlling them.

Here's a good article on the African's leasders and thier corruption: magnet.undp.org...

Africa was doing just fine until the white (trash) man arrived to mess things up.
P.S. I'm a white African! Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!

Doing fine? What about the slave trade? African Political leaders had been practicing Slave trading for thousnads of years (as had many other cultures, if not all, around the world). However, Kingdoms actually sought out people to trade.

So if by saying, "...white (trash) man arrived to mess things up", do you mean white man came and helped the political leaders get wealthy? In that case, I can see where your concern is. That the Sub-Sarahan continent corruption got a kick start by 'our' (aren't we one species) arrival.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Okay lets update the scenerio,
Your brother, train tracks, crowbar near your feet that he askes you to throw to him. Once he has that crowbar he can pry himself loose and save his own life. What do you do?

I believe you're missing his point as well. If his brother was on the train tracks, and he could be saved...of course he would save them.

On the other hand, if your brother called you on his cell phone, and said that his foot was stuck and a train was coming, and he was out of state. Would you help him? You'd start to run in that direction, but 3 seconds later, that sprint would have been a lost 'cause. All he's saying is, don't spend the energy if there's no where to put it.

I agree it is heartbreaking, to think of entire countries, seconds away from a collision, and we're too far away to help. But what you don't consider is...if his brother wsa smart, he'd lean off the track, so the train would only take his leg.

That's all he's suggesting. Let the ones who can figure out to lean away, go in peace, and the ones who knew how to save themselves...do just that. And bring up their respective countries. After all, wouldn't you want a country full of people could think for themselves in a time of need, rather than babysit?

I'm not at all saying the some countries are baby-like, but it does seem as though some just have it much harder than others...some are unhelpable, just too far away.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
No, the amount of time, money and effort that the US puts into bulls*** wars, excess spending, and corperate tax breaks, we could do something. It is not out of reach, we just don't care to put out a helping hand. It's only a lost cause if you believe it is.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
why is it incumbent upon the US to help these people?

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
It's incumbant for those that have to help those who have not. That's my whole argument. I can't explain the logistics of it, and I can't describe why it is so in a debate, but it is so.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
in a perfect world, i agree with you.

then again, this is why i'm pro NWO.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Some of these posts are "Opinion's" and they are very harsh. I don't think that I would allow my little one's to hear some of the prejudicial statements being made on this thread! I would have to say to them,"Now thats what you don't want to become like." and walk them away. Your statement is that it's not racist, but yet you dare to call it logic? Man, do some of you guy's got a chip of serious parinoia on your shoulder's. I could only pray, that if something like that took place in the USA and we were all in the same trouble, they would leave you guy's behind to roll in the B#*@ you are so willing to allow them people roll in.
MEn,women,adolescent,teenager's,babies, how could you possibly be so disillusioned to think that would be the proper procedure, for any man,woman or child in this world. F the $ , it is all politics when it comes to that, but to be able to save lives, and I mean "ANY" life is much more alluring as caring people than to be so derogatory as to say who stays and who goes, like your some kind of god.
"WOW,WOW,WOW!!!"

"GET REAL"

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   
"get real" indeed. compassion and caring are awesome, but so is accepting that death is a part of life. i'm not saying it makes me feel good or anything, but i think it's high time there was a reality check for many of you people - everyone dies at some point. if it's their time, then who are we to play god by prolonging their lives?

quit being so afraid to die. quit being so afraid to let others die. death is NOT that bad.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 01:08 AM
link   
"MEn,women,adolescent,teenager's,babies, how could you possibly be so disillusioned to think that would be the proper procedure, for any man,woman or child in this world. F the $ , it is all politics when it comes to that, but to be able to save lives, and I mean "ANY" life is much more alluring as caring people than to be so derogatory as to say who stays and who goes, like your some kind of god."

"MEn,women,adolescent,teenager's,babies, how could you possibly be so disillusioned to think that would be the proper procedure, for any man,woman or child in this world. F the $"

It is because you could pour all the money in the world into the region and your still only delaying the inevitable. No amount of money or food will save most of these regions because there are things happening as I posted earlier that are beyond our control.

"I mean "ANY" life is much more alluring as caring people than to be so derogatory as to say who stays and who goes, like your some kind of god."

No I am not a God if I were that would not be happening in the first place. I'm saying it is simply a waste of time and resources to try and save people that in my opinion are already dead then so be it.

It is not a matter of race or anything else like that it is a matter of that part of the world is becoming more devoid of life due to several factors beyond our control. As such I am not doing anything to kill these people I just think Nature should take it's course with them (will happen anyway). Nothing you can say or do will save them now so why not quit delaying the inevitable and tell them to deal with their own freakin problems.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 01:58 AM
link   
the_doctor

I don't think they're gonna get it man. This is one of those, time's where its pointless to pend our energy on someone, if they won't come around to the facts.

To the people who don't understand the_doctor's point:

Someone said that we should use the money we use in War to helping the needy. The US can't even help itself, Congress jus denied the raise of minimum wage, again!

How much did we spend in Iraq? 200 billion?

How much would it cost to make JUST ONE Sub-Saharan african country life sustaining for it's current population (Food, Medicine, ENTIRE LAND MASS RESTRUCTURING [ie: crops, soil, water irrigation, farmland, etc.], Education, Manufactoring Plants for self-sustained GDP, Resources for those plants, etc.).

It's inconceivable...ZILLIONS must be spent for one small society, let alone an entire continent. What htey need to do is pull themselves out, or quit complaining. Now I understand that the people are suffring also becuase of their governments. Why don't he LEAVE. It's not that hard. Some Euros got pissed a few hundred years ago, and now we have the strongest country in the world. Albiet we used dirty tricks, but we're ANIMALS, survival of the fittest. How is none of this getting through to you people?

I'm not saying we have to embrace Death, but we must ACCEPT it.

Why should we help others when the United States of America cannot even compete in the average middle class bracket with small countries like Japan and Norway.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Hey thanks for participating in my thread guys. you all have some good points. and despite some of the mud slinging that has been going on there have been some important issues pointed out.

Doctor: i get what you are trying to say and i partly agree with you. i too am frustrated that the aid that is being sent out to certian countries isnt having any effect. and i also believe that certian countries need to learn to be self reliant, the united states cant be a babysitter....look what it has gotten us into over the years.

on the other hand, aside from the human species gift of rationality, compassion is also an intrical part to what makes us unique and moral. The quadry is knowing when to teach a man to fish and when to fish for him.

thanks again for participating!
cheerio!
Digitalgrl

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join