It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breeding the best and brightest to save the world

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 05:49 AM
link   

He was a millionaire who dreamed of saving humanity using the sperm of geniuses. But what became of Robert Klark Graham's master plan?

In the late 1970s, in a underground bunker on his ranch near San Diego, American millionaire Robert Klark Graham set up the world's most controversial sperm bank known as the Repository for Germinal Choice.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The perfecting of the human race through selective breeding. WHat do you think of that?

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

He was a millionaire who dreamed of saving humanity using the sperm of geniuses. But what became of Robert Klark Graham's master plan?

In the late 1970s, in a underground bunker on his ranch near San Diego, American millionaire Robert Klark Graham set up the world's most controversial sperm bank known as the Repository for Germinal Choice.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The perfecting of the human race through selective breeding. WHat do you think of that?

That's a disgustingly horrible idea, Herr Eichmann.

Mariella

[edit on 6/16/2006 by bsl4doc]

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Maybe, but it seems to have worked. I know that smarts run in my family, and what we consider normal intelligance is considered high on the bell curve. So, maybe there is something to this selective breeding.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I thought that breeding two geniuses bring a high probability of having autistic children.

Perhaps his experiment yield an undesirable result after all.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Many with aspergers and autism show amazing logical capabilities and high IQs. It's not quite the same result as siblings breeding retarded children. It's also not necessarily that common (not that I've heard anyway). Currently, the main cause of autism is supposed to be murcury poisoning during gestation, combined with genetics.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 08:20 AM
link   
To save the world, we need to breed common sense and selflessness. I think there're already enough brains, just not enough people with the aforementioned to use knowledge wisely.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Sometimes i think we should just have a few wackos try it, but then, people with such visions want to make them come true via discrimination.

Gattaca anyone?

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Well, we have people so smart that 2+2=5 in our government right now....if they get any smarter, nobody will need to work.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
It's a natural tendancy anyway. I know that the people with whom I chill, and the ladies that I gravitate towards are pretty intelligent. That's just my taste. I know that in general, people with common interests tend to match up anyway. The only way to develop an entire population of geniuses would be to eliminate the reproduction of the average people, which of course is out of the question.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsl4doc

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

That's a disgustingly horrible idea, Herr Eichmann.

As Mariella said, it's actually been tried before... by Hitler. Breeding for intelligence doesn't mean you get a stable Einstein or Hawking. And it doesn't mean they'll use their intelligence.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
There is an incredible gap between intelligence and Wisdom.

I think we have too much intelligence, raw information and data that serves little purpose.

What we need is more wisdom, which is the righteous application of Knowledge.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
One of the co-discoverers of the structure of DNA (though there is debate on just how many people really were involved in that), beleives that 'stupidity' is, in essence, a disease that can be cured by genetic medecine.

www.newscientist.com...
"If you are really stupid, I would call that a disease," says Watson, now president of the Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory, New York. "The lower 10 per cent who really have difficulty, even in elementary school, what's the cause of it? A lot of people would like to say, 'Well, poverty, things like that.' It probably isn't. So I'd like to get rid of that, to help the lower 10 per cent."

Watson, no stranger to controversy, also suggests that genes influencing beauty could also be engineered. "People say it would be terrible if we made all girls pretty. I think it would be great."

Seems like a bad idea, really gorgeous women shouldn't be very smart, they'll take over the world.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 04:22 AM
link   
There are enough brainy people in the world already. The trouble isn't a shortage of intelligence; it's an oversupply of stupidity.

The solution is simple. Instead of cherishing our sprogs like they're made of platinum, we should tear them from their mothers' grasp as soon as they're old enough to breed and shove them into some Survivor-type situation where the attrition rate is eighty percent or ninety percent and intelligence, not brawn, is the key to survival.

If the thought makes you snivel, you're not being tough-minded enough. Take a leaf out of the Spartan mothers' book of parenting: 'Come back with your shield, son, or come back on it.'

It would solve the population problem, too.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Intelligence Isn't Everything

It's also important for children to have good strength, wisdom, dexterity, constitution and charisma if they are to save the world.

That's probably why Mr. Graham's project didn't make its saving throw.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
If the thought makes you snivel, you're not being tough-minded enough. Take a leaf out of the Spartan mothers' book of parenting: 'Come back with your shield, son, or come back on it.'

Indeed, and, to continue 'hectoring' the people that would object, it was the spartans who would infact remove their kids from their families and raise them in communal barracks. It worked out relatively well for them.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
A breeding program to foster genius. That does sound a little too much like Hitler's visionary program for a superior race. Just in case no has heard, there is already a superior race in our midst.

The Indigo children.

I say we give humanity a boost allow this special group of people to breed.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
aye, these keep popping up everywhere strange how no actual mutation has been found so far. indigo children are (in good and bad ways) wishful thinking of a better future.... sad thing is noone seems to understand that evolution needs to be earned....

PS: if there are real mutants out there: duck and cover, you're in great danger, the current darwinistic establishment would NEVER tolerate someone objectively more advanced than themselves.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Wouldnt better education be a much better use of resources. With 6 billion plus people on the earth right how many potential geniuses are out there? and how many are never realized becuase they live in poor undeveloped countries.

We could have already lost the next 10 Einsteins in Africa due to famine, War and Aids.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
"there is enough youth... how about a fountain of smart"

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I think it's completely ridiculous. When man tries to play God, usually bad things happen! Hitler, for example, wanted to breed a perfect human race....how did that work out? Sounds like Robert Klark Graham is/was insane....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join