It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

immortality, or perhaps long life at least?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I've seen pictures of diseases that show the physical results similar aging on children. Do you think it's possible that some people may have the opposite, where they have some sort of condition, be it genetic or chemical, that allows for longer life than the average human? I know in the Bible, there are references of people living 300-600 years or more, yet even a few hundred years ago, most people died before 50. What are your thoughts?

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by abbyful
I've seen pictures of diseases that show the physical results similar aging on children. Do you think it's possible that some people may have the opposite, where they have some sort of condition, be it genetic or chemical, that allows for longer life than the average human? I know in the Bible, there are references of people living 300-600 years or more, yet even a few hundred years ago, most people died before 50. What are your thoughts?

Keep this basic premise of medicine in mind as you ponder your question:

It is easier to kill a patient than to revive them./b]

Just because one thing occurs in nature doesn't necessarily mean the opposite must occur as well. I'm afraid this may be one of those circumstances.

Mariella

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Much agreed with that statement. I just wonder if there is some way that a body could produce better cells and keep the organs strong instead of weakening. It seems far fetched, but a few months ago if you told me there was a condition that turned people into bone, I wouldn't have beleived it. (It's called "FOP" or "Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva".) Again, those are negative things, not positive though. There are people that have impressive vision, which is a positive aspect. And our life spans are contantly increasing. That's why I wonder if some rare condition could preserve life long, or if medical technology will be able to end up doubling our life span in the future.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
i totally believe in immortality...
one, if you get it you may be someones immortal slave...
second, those that have it now, want to be your eternal master.

So when its all said and done...immortality is possible...once you hit the bucket, doubt any amount of cloning is gonna bring back your real essence. Who knows, it may be possible. (ask Bush, Im sure hes a clone.

peace

dalen

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
nature isn't concerned witht he organism living long, its the passing on of genes thats the purpose of reproduction. Its more efficient to have the organism passing on genes in a finite lifespan rather than having an imortal organism.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
For some clarification, the title was more of an attention-getting than to actually be serious about immortality. I was just wondering about lifespans. If you beleive the Bible as accurate when it listed peoples ages, then it appears that the lifespan of a human has swayed back and forth over time.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Actually, I do believe there is something to this. My mother related the following ancedote to me a few years ago. When she was in her late teens she went to visit relatives in her hometown in Mexico. While there she was introduced to a young mother with two children, one was approximately 2 yrs. old and the other appeared to be 6 - 8 month old baby. It turned out that the baby girl was actually older than the toddler.

My mother returned to the town in 1984 or '85 (I was in high school at the time), and the girl appeared to be roughly 7 or 8 yrs. old. She went for another visit last year and inquired about the girl, and it turned out she had passed away.

My mother was not sure when or how old the girl was when she passed away. However, this is certainly worth delving into.

Unfortunately, I have neither the time or the resources (money) to go to Mexico to persue this myself. However, if someone is genuinely interested in investigating this, it would make a great Research forum project.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   

I think it might be possible to obtain because as doctors study the disease progeria which makes kids age prematurely, if they find a cure for that, they can find the cure for aging among normal people. I do believe it is possible for slow aging to exist if rapid aging can exist, and especially since in Biblical days people did live long like that. Also I think it is genetic because there are people who live to be like 120 yrs old and they eat and live the same lifestyle as everyone else, they just live longer and age slower.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

It is possible for people, yesterday and today to live 300 years or more.

For more details, check here.

top topics

join