It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

robot footballers/warriors?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I saw this on google by accident and it makes for some interesting reading:-

www.robocup.org...

if they can make a robot perform against the worlds best footballers, imagine the potential as a battlefield warrior?

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
A related article by xeroxed88, here.

Japanese Robotic Football Team
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I really dont see any future fighting robots using a humanoid shape no matter how many Sci-fi shows and books make it seem that way. The human shape with exception of the human hand really isnt that great of a design compared to other ones out there in nature. The insect world offers much better design to use.

If you made a robot cockaroach design that could match it natural design in ever way scaled up to 6FT that robot would be able to run about 200 mph. A perfect robot human design copy would only be able to run as fast as a normal human.
A robot insect design that could climb, jump and move as it natural counterpart would be vastly superior to human designs in my opinion.

I really dont know why Japan is so obsessed with humanoid robots. Other then better interactions with human since we relate to the human form better I dont see the point.

[edit on 15-6-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
good point shadow...i supose its just the fact that well..human robots..look human?

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 05:52 AM
link   
You might want the robots to be able to blend in with the native poulation.
Plus the fact that insect design is far more useful when smaller than larger.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Anti Chris
You might want the robots to be able to blend in with the native poulation.
Plus the fact that insect design is far more useful when smaller than larger.

I agree there would be cases when you would want a robot to blend in with humans to make interaction easier with humans. I mean would you rather have a robot doctor that looked like a giant spider or a human bring you your meds or test results? On a basic level we interact with humanoid shapes and facial expressions very well.

Where such personal interactions arent needed the human design isnt that great IMO. Shape Changing Robots might be ideal in the future that could take on the shape of insects,snakes etc.. to whatever is best for the task at hand.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I really dont see any future fighting robots using a humanoid shape no matter how many Sci-fi shows and books make it seem that way. The human shape with exception of the human hand really isnt that great of a design compared to other ones out there in nature. The insect world offers much better design to use.

If you made a robot cockaroach design that could match it natural design in ever way scaled up to 6FT that robot would be able to run about 200 mph. A perfect robot human design copy would only be able to run as fast as a normal human.
A robot insect design that could climb, jump and move as it natural counterpart would be vastly superior to human designs in my opinion.

I really dont know why Japan is so obsessed with humanoid robots. Other then better interactions with human since we relate to the human form better I dont see the point.

[edit on 15-6-2006 by ShadowXIX]

its part of the 'playing God' psyche to be honest, creating 'life' in mans own image.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Interesting concept as many believe God created man in his own imagine humans feel the urge to recreate life (robotic) in their own image as well.

You might be on to something with that

new topics

top topics

join