It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese nuclear facility shutdown today..others being plagued by accidents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
i check the RSOE site alot which is the global emergency and disaster database. it has been mentioned on here by me and some other people around here recently...basically it logs everything on a map from all around the world that has to do with any type of disaster from biological to weather related to terrorist related etc...

anyways there was a big icon flashing on japan so i clicked on it and here is what the RSOE states

A Japanese nuclear reactor shut down automatically Thursday because of a shaking turbine, and there was no release of radioactivity. The shutdown affected a reactor at the Hamoka-cho Nuclear Power Plant, about 100 miles west of Tokyo. Turbulence in the turbine triggered the shutdown, but the report had no further details. The nuclear energy industry in Japan has been plagued by safety violations, reactor malfunctions and accident.

heres more :RSOE: japanese facilites map and description

so what is the deal with this? anybody familiar with the nuclear capabilites of japan or have any knowledge of why they are being PLAGUED with accidents and other problems? it just seems that a countries nuclear capabilites shouldnt be paired with the adjective plagued...you know what i mean lol.

so whats the deal? why are they having so many issues?

Cheerio!
Digitalgrl

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I'm not particularly familiar with japanese BWRs (boiling water reactors) as I work at a US PWR (pressurized water reactor) site, but in any event, high vibration trips are not an uncommon occurrence. Oftentimes it is due to worn bearings or misalignments after maintenance. I don't know what the report means by "turbulence in the turbine." Possibly there was a void in the steam line or something. In the end, the protection systems did their job and the plant shutdown safely (which is the important thing).

Really, it's not that exciting. It's unfortunate that the RSOE is making this event out to be more than it probably is. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Interesting, I wonder if this has any connection to four nuclear accidents in one week at Australia's only nuclear reactor? Is big oil/big coal getting antsy over the recent push towards nuclear electricity? The Australian federal government initiated an enquiry into nuclear electricty only last week. The timing has me very suspicious indeed.

Recent Australian nuclear accidents

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
The timing has me very suspicious indeed.

I agree.

Otherwise, what an odd coincidence.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
other than the odd coincidence...
dont you think it is wierd that it says japan has been plagued by accidents and violations? not something you would want on your resume

Cheerio!
Digitalgrl

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   
yeah, it could be retalliation against the Kyoto conference.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
sorry i usually dont live under a rock but can you tell me what happened at the kyoto confrence?

i get that we dont want iran having nuclear tech and everything but i also dont think it is a good idea for there to be a country having nuclear tech that is being plagued by violations and accidents ....i mean intentially nuking someone is bad enough but doing it on accident isnt great either ya know. but obviously the world isnt going to go to japan and say hey "you guys suck at this..so stop using it" lol
plus i like japan despite their nuclear weaknesses lol

Kind Regards,
digitalgrl

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Steam is made by the reactors to turn a turbine or turbines which in turn rotate generators for making electricity.

These turbines have built in safety devices...one being a overspeed trip. These are automatic trips with a preset tripping point. If you get outside of these preset points in performance the turbines will shut down.
What you do not want is vibration so ...runaway ..type bad that it causes a massive steam leak in these generating areas. This would be a really bad situation.

These turbines and generators are spin balanced for a certain performance envelope. Intresting to watch vendors perform this balancing operation.

Thanks,
Orangetom

new topics

top topics

join