It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survey Result Shows The US To Be Biggest Global Peace Threat

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I am not saying by the way that it is all Americas fault, I am not, but we are talking about America in this thread so of course its policies have to be the focus. The big difference between our behaviour and other nations (say Rssia or China) is that we seem to actually believe our rhetoric and resent it when the disconnect between ideal and actuallity are pointed out.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strangerous
Pot, kettle?

Yes please, white with one thanks

There are quite a few people who have a dim view of the US's stance on human rights. sure China have a bad record but with extraordinary rendition & G'mo the US's record ain't that great either.

Sorry to rain on your parade but im actually English, not American. Britain has a lot to answer for with regards to its complicity in the Iraq invasion but we are nothing compared to China. Hell, we dont even have the death penalty in this country.

Originally posted by Majic
I do think it's unrealistic, based on what little I know of history, but I share the desire that we could expect more in the way of responsibility -- especially from my own country.

Well, yes it's unrealistic but I still expect - nay demand it. Our leaders are fighting wars in our name based on this unrealistic expectation but they are just as bad as who they are waging war against.

Ignorance from World leaders I can deal with, hypocrisy I cant.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Sorry didn't realise, your use of a lot of US idioms must have confused me

Hell no buddy you ain't raining on my parade, no siree bob.

The US has let its own standards slip and shown the world how little it respects the human rights of those it decides are a threat.

Of course the Chinese are more extreme than the US but the American Govt are hardly in a position to claim the unsullied moral high ground on this one.

Everyone has the right to criticise another Govt's record on human rights (even the EU when it objects to being party to kidnap, transportation and torture by the US). But for one bunch of torturers to use the argument 'they're even worse than us' just shows how far we've all slid down the slippery slope towards moral turpitude.

EDIT to add smiley faces

[edit on 28-6-2006 by Strangerous]

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Sorry didn't realise, your use of a lot of US idioms must have confused me

Hell no buddy you ain't raining on my parade, no siree bob.

No problem

The US has let its own standards slip and shown the world how little it respects the human rights of those it decides are a threat.

Of course the Chinese are more extreme than the US but the American Govt are hardly in a position to claim the unsullied moral high ground on this one.

Everyone has the right to criticise another Govt's record on human rights (even the EU when it objects to being party to kidnap, transportation and torture by the US). But for one bunch of torturers to use the argument 'they're even worse than us' just shows how far we've all slid down the slippery slope towards moral turpitude.

Oh I agree, the United States has no moral high ground when it comes to human rights. I have said that very same in previous threads regarding the US State Department's annual human rights review.

But when comparing to who I would rather running a World wide empire: the United States or communist China I would chose the United States in a heart beat. Choosing between two human rights abusing countries is never going to be a great decision but im not blind to the difference in severity.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The answer's obvious old boy - we should run the World (again).

Simple

Britannia rises again, the world is controlled by stiff letters, despatching a dreanought or ultimately an interview over a cuppa but without biscuits!!

Seriously I can't see the US ever releasing it's stranglehold on the globe and space. All this 'China threat' toss is just to scare the US people into going along with the massive defence budget / excusing the slide in moral standards

By the time China is a serious threat everyone on this board will be long dead

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Sorry to post again but it is a different point:

Just seen on ABC news that even Superman isn't immune to the implications of these survey results.

Previously in comics and films he fought for 'truth, justice and the American way'. Now the only mention of this is 'truth, justice and all that stuff'.

Even Superman can't avoid the fact - the American brand is severely damaged

Superman neutered, McDonald's closing - the US needs to sit up and take notice of surveys such as this

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join