It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kosovo A-A Engagements info?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Can someone point me to some stats on the A-A engagements in the balkans conflict w/NATO. Things like total # of engagements, type of A/C involved, kills etc...

Any help appreciated!

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Air Combat Information Group has some info (it goes back to 1945, but if you scroll down you'll get to 1999). Main air to air seems to have been the Dutch F-16 taking out a MiG-29 with an AMRAAM.

ACIG Europe

Hope this helps.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Thanks for that link. This link details two A-A engagements. the one mentioned in your list as well as a US F-16 shootdown of another MiG-29.

www.codeonemagazine.com...

I'm amazed anyone would send a single Mig-29 after anyone armed with Aim-120s...let alone do it twice.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I guess it comes down to the payoff that the commanders and political leaders would derive if the MiG-29 mission were successful. Everyone expects an F-16 with AMRAAM to kill the MiG-29. But if the MiG-29 manages to get through and kill an F-16, the political and propoganda implications are fairly large. It's a high risk mission, but also high payoff. Look at the mileage they got out of the F-117 incident. Now, at the end of the day I don't think it would make that much difference, but when you are on the receiving end of a major pummelling, then I guess any opportunity to get one back looks attractive.

new topics

top topics

join