It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(submission) ACLU Takes US to Court Today Over Wiretapping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The ACLU filed a suit against the US government in January of 2006. The case is to be heard in Detroit today by US District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor requesting to end the Bush administration program of domestic wiretaps.

www.freep.com
Battle over wiretaps to begin today
Suit asks Detroit judge to stop U.S.

June 12, 2006
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
The opening salvo of what is sure to be a closely watched and potentially landmark case over whether the U.S. government has the right to eavesdrop on thousands -- and potentially millions -- of telephone and e-mail communications will be fired in federal court in Detroit today.

The American Civil Liberties Union, which filed the lawsuit in January, will ask U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor to abolish the Bush administration's program of intercepting international phone calls in its fight against terrorism, saying it violates Americans' free speech and privacy rights.

The Justice Department, which represents the National Security Agency, is expected to argue that the program is legal and a key weapon in the administration's war on terror.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I would hope the judge sees fit to give a decision in favor of the people but I somehow doubt this will happen. The Bush admin seems steadfast in staying with this tactic.
I would imagine even if the judge declares in the ACLU's favor, that in their minds this program is legal and will take precedence over this judges ruling.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The AP just broke the story: NSA is collecting records of all our phone calls!!!!
ATS: AT&T Narus Collaboration Sent Your Private Internet Communications to The NSA
POLITICS: New law would outlaw anyone revealing US eavesdropping programs

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   
It's about time someone did. This will be interesting.

join