It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if we ARE alone?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
What would the ramifications be, in your opinion, if we were to find out, unequivically, that we are indeed alone in the universe.
What would this mean in terms of our societal evolution, our religious beliefs, our reason to be?

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
From all the info I've garnered from the UFO junkies here on ATS, I'm thinking the idea of being alone is not only improbable, but likely impossible.

If we are truly alone in this massive Universe the potential for the future of humanity is infinite. It will all belong to us, and we won't have to fight for a single planet during our expansion to other worlds.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Well I don't know about the religious impact, but one thing it would mean is we get to colonize the galaxy/universe with out having to fight for it. It'd be free pick'ens for all

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
In fairness, this world is big enough for us all, with enough resources for us, yet we still fight and make War.

I do think as long as humanity exists, there will always be a possibility of war.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I wouldn't mind. I'd be glad for some 'concrete' answer one way or another, all this uncertainty I do not enjoy at all.

In terms of things like just getting on with existing, still ok. We can still go to space and explore and explore this planet too.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Yes but we go to war for the resources in a territory, not just for the enjoyment of it.
We would end up going to war again but that would be over a specific plant for some rare item that is found in abundance in that space or planet. So I agree that it would not end war amongst us but I don't think we would have one for some time.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
See i'd concur with that.
When we are able to explore space truly, as one we will be united in the same goal of finding our own place...feasibly there is a Planet for every single human alive.

But eventually one planet will have something another wants and then we go again...unless we never expand much in the Space Travel arena.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
If we are alone, then well the universe would be a pretty big waste of space. But then again, it would be all for us to take. In the future exploration would be boring, but we could take resources from planets as we please.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
More and more evidence is surfacing that life on earth actualy was seeded by asteroids that came from space.

Theres now also evidence that microscopic life still exists on Mars.

Next to that, life thrives in the most harsch locations on this fair planet, from extreme heat to extreme cold, life persists.

Its as said before, not only improbable that we're alone but virtualy inposible taken the scope of just the galaxy we live in, which is the size of a subatomic particle in the earths oceans, compared to the size of the universe.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
More and more evidence is surfacing that life on earth actualy was seeded by asteroids that came from space.

Theres now also evidence that microscopic life still exists on Mars.

Next to that, life thrives in the most harsch locations on this fair planet, from extreme heat to extreme cold, life persists.

Its as said before, not only improbable that we're alone but virtualy inposible taken the scope of just the galaxy we live in, which is the size of a subatomic particle in the earths oceans, compared to the size of the universe.

Yes, but this thread isn't asking if life exists or doesnt, this thread is simply a 'What If' sneario, what would be the ramifications.
Also, on another point, the 'evidence' you have suggested means nothing, I mean lets be honest, you can't converse with a Microbe. If there is other forms of life out there, they may not have any sentience what so ever, so in essence we would still be alone.

Now, back to the topic that is up for discussion.

I find it amusing that the basis of all the comments is to 'take what we want' or the pearl about 'future exploration would be boring'.
Why would it be boring?
Is the existence of life the only reason to travel the stars?
Is it right that even if we have no other sentient life, we can simply take what we want from the Universe?

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The Universe is obviously teeming with life. I heard an estimation that there were probably more Stars in the Universe than there are grains of Sand from every Beach on this Planet combined. This report quoting Australian Astronomers has it at a 10:1 ratio in favor of the Stars. I'm not sure how accurate they are, but who really knows? Isn't there something like 10 Million species of life on this Planet alone? I think we can say, pretty much with 100% certainty, that there are so many forms of life in the Universe that we don't have any kind of number to represent them all, if indeed there was ever such a way of cataloguing all of them in the first place.

[edit on 11-6-2006 by Communication_Burger]

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Well for me personally, the idea is pretty creepy, unnerving even.

I too, have always found the possibility of our planet (and the creatures on it) being the only species out there pretty impossible. And I hadn't thought about it all that much. But now the idea has come up, and it really is just so beyond fantastic.

To think that our world, this planet, is all that's alive out there? And that nothing will ever come of it? That the entire universe, everywhere imaginable and endless as we know it, is inhabited by JUST is? The idea is more unsettling than anything, and somehow makes our whole world seem LESS signifigant than before.

Perhaps because us being all that there is out there, means that we can never have anything but that of which we create. That we will never find any new lifeforms or planets with life on them, no matter how far we look. Such an idea would really mean that all of human evoloution is totally confined, that no matter how much we evolve, our small world is all that will ever exist.

The idea I suppose could comfort many, but if it was (somehow) proven 110%, I think it would cause a major uproar. What's the point of exploring space if there's nothing out there? What will be the point of technological advancement when there is nothing to achieve from it beyond our earth? What is the purpose of learning, when what there is to know would be so limited? I think many people would rebel against the idea entirely, in fact, as it is such a foreign concept.

It's an interesting idea, for sure. And one of the things that I think surprised me most when it first came to mind was this: as our society is today, one would expect the idea of no extraterrestrial life to be widely comforting, and the concept of some unknown beings living out there quite nerve-racking. However, for me anyway, it would seem as though it is the exact opposite. A direct contradiction to the common mindset that so many people have been brought up with.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
If we are truly alone in the universe...

I see what you mean...for me being alone in the universe means the same as if we are not.

Same difference. We live, we die, and somewhere in between we try to make sense of everything.

Religiously, I don't think it makes a huge difference either. Depending on your belief system, it's plausible that no matter your God/Deity, they created it and rule it. If humans are the end all of species then so be it.

My grandchildren (hopefully I get some later on!) will be the explorers. For them the universe will be a giant research project in a far grander scale than my generation. The basic exploration we've done so far will seem like the chickenscratchings of a four year old to them
If life (intelligent species akin to human kind and not basic organisms) doesn't exist, I'm not sure there will be much impact at all.

I've resigned myself to the fact that in my lifetime, I will not get proof that intelligent beings are out there somewhere...and it's okay.

Societally having a free for all in space is no different than here on Terra Firma...just another place to inhabit, strip mine, cultivate, pollute, wage war over and ultimately bleed dry. Human's as a collective have a bad habit of "wants" outweighing "needs" and that will be reflected in space same as it is here. With no other life forms out there...we'll have only ourselves to blame.

If there were no other forms of intelligent life? Absolutely no difference than it is knowing there is life out there. Not yet anyway. Wait till we try to colonize someone else's rock

(for those confused - the topic is WHAT IF we were alone - what would it mean to you? Would it change how you think and feel about the universe? How would it affect the evolution of humans? etc etc )

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I have visited this thread a few times, just to see what some people would come up with in thier mindset, as Benvolio had stated, the thought is really redundant, but at the same time very very scary. Since the begining's of new technology, the human race has never wanted more than to prove the very opposite of the topic of this discussion.

Just think, "All that effort and intellectual know how, gone to waste!!! Bummer
"

I know the absolute proof would devistate the world as a whole. The religous, scientific, political and the even the normies would have a differennt kind of reluctance to what we (As GOOD PEOPLE) really want to stand for. I mean Look at Christopher Columbus, He went his venture to find New and never seen before lands and found people of a totally different culture. Though that is when man became at his worst as well. Point being, I would think it would take a very shallow individual to think that the Universe would even be for the taking, let alone a species such as our's being the one's to take it, hell, we had a heck of a time just getting to the moon, The Universe is at our finger tip's , but beyond our reach, for some time to come.

Now if you would of created a thread that stated "What if all the worlds Gov.'s pulled together for a mass unistellar space exploration program, as 1?" I would've said ,"Now thats a guy who really wants to conquer the universe with DIVERSITY" and take this whole war thing out of the picture for OUR WORLD DOMINENCE. Though that won't happen, or at least I don't see that happening, try and keep your bearing's on the gravities that hold you now, because there is more problem's down hear, why create more for up there?

Well, sorry, I had to get it off of my chest, just having a hard time with the acceptance of an unfathomable intellectual thought.

My hat's off to you Benvolio.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
i (and a lot of other people] would be severly disappointed if we are alone in this dish. oh well!

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Ah well, it would be back to the Xbox 360, back to the gaming, watch some more American Idol and Survivor, have another cup of coffee..nothing's changed..

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I don't see this idea as creepy or igornant. Actually I already believe it, because of my religious convections. Then I already believe in One God who also created the angels. Demons as fallen angels. That those demons and fallen angels can manifest themselves to us any way they want to appear to us.

It is a comfort to me to think such a loving God created the entire universe for us. That I always think I will have a chance to explore it after I die in my spiritual body. I don't see the universe as wasted space when the Bible tells me that God put it there for us. Yea, he was also showing off, and show himself in such a large and magificent creation.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mystery_Lady
It is a comfort to me to think such loving God created the entire universe for us.

Did you ever stop to think that the REASON you believe that crap is precisely because it "comforts" you?

As for the topic at hand...

I don't think the purely hypothetical realization that we are indeed alone means that much, nor would it cause much change. While there are statistics that show many people are slowly changing their attitudes to the possibility of alien life, society in general still operates under the arrogant assumption that we are alone. The subject is still considered taboo... but only because of fear. Fear of ridicule, fear of being labeled as crazy. It's just not worth it for many people to delve into the subject. I think this is definately changing as UFO specials on major networks are increasing in number all the time. Peter Jennings was a tool, as far as journalism goes, and his UFO special was horrible.... but if nothing else, its a step in the right direction.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 05:50 AM
link   
That's a good point about our travels on this one planet. People go places, find other people there already, and then kill them. Maybe space seems so empty because whoever came here first had already killed all the other species on all the other planets.

Another one that came up, which I'm guilty of myself I guess, is the old adage about how in the future we'll do this and that and the next thing - problem being, that's what they all said in the 50s, going by all that space-age propaganda we should have had televised alien landings by now and be able to take the stargate to some offworld moon that we are mining in a sustainable way and do a day's work of about 5 hours before being back on Earth for tea.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Doesent bother them because they have there god and or angels .
thats a funny statment once you think about it.
after all regurdless if this god of yours is pure energy hes still life .eternal but life never the less .
so you cant belive your alone in the universe and belive in a god any god at the same time . as its contrdictry.
read a quote once . ( If we are not alone in the unvirse it would be amazing )
( If we are alone in the unvirse it would be amazing)
eather way you look at this its mind blowing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join