It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

keeping track of sex offenders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Yes i know this is from fox news lol but i wanted to know what everyone thought of this. They are starting to use GPS satellite systems to track offenders once released form prison etc.
Do you think this will help curb sex crimes?

JANE SKINNER, FOX NEWS ANCHOR: Tracking sex offenders with GPS satellite systems has really taken off as states try to figure out how to deal with the convicts who are released back into the community. In several states, they're followed so closely if they enter certain restricted areas, like schools, an alert goes off. These systems are expensive, as you can imagine. Are they effective?

Tom Wharton is the president and CEO of a company that sells them. It's called iSECUREtrac.

Tom, how well do these work? You can't guarantee a guy wearing one of your bracelets is not going to commit another sex crime, can you?

TOM WHARTON, CEO, ISECURETRAC: No, you cannot guarantee a crime won't be committed. I will tell you that statistics show in a complete caseload of offenders that the recidivism rates are reduced.

Read full article here

So are they going in the right direction now with this new method of tracking them?
what are your thoughts?

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Well I'm all for them tracking sex offenders, they deserve it for the horrible crimes they've committed; once someone's done something like that they've forfieted all rights to any freedoms. I'm just strongly against them tracking the rest of us non-criminals.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I'm guessing they will want to "chip" them...

No I don't think this will prevent a repeat offence.
Sex offenders are one of the worst kind of criminals. We need to find out how people become like that and find a way to prevent it from happening.
How about spending this money on prevention through education?

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Another .gov contractor trying to milk at the public teat by exploiting public hysteria.

I wonder if this terrible predator is going to have to get chipped now? Or the kids that get hauled off by DYFS and marked for life as "youth sex offenders" because they get caught "playing doctor"?

[edit on 6/12/06 by xmotex]

top topics

join