It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Conspiracy of Reality TV

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
It seems these days the scourge of reality TV is a worldwide phenomenon. Every country it seems has some sort of reality TV show, sometimes several. We also have loads of shows that have people videotaped by various CCTV cameras and cop cameras, such as wildest police chases and the like. The genre has eclipsed the sitcom and drama series in popularity.

What I find disturbing is the apparant comfort levels that people have with cameras being trained on them for just about every activity. Like Survivor and Big Brother. The only things hidden from view are those hidden by censors. And everyone seems to love it. No longer is the idea of a camera trained at you every minute of your life recording every little dirty secret such an anethema. In fact, people seem to WANT a chance to be spied on and have their whole friggin life on display.

Reality TV makes being monitored look fun. Fresh. Hip. It seems that the revulsion to the idea of 24/7 intrusive monitoring is damn near gone. I seem to notice that since 2000, when reality TV shows like Survivor were first making their debut, people have become appathetic and even accepting towards the more real-life monitoring by the government. I find that the number of people who aren't bothered by Cameras and monitoring everywhere disturbing. It seems no one minds government spying and intrusion in their daily lives.

Perhaps reality tv was created to basically soften people up to the idea of Big Brother watching us all the time. perhaps if the powers that be started selling 24/7 surveilance as fun, exciting, even COOL that people will grow a more positive attitude towards it.

Alot of people blame the War on Terror for people surrendering their privacy, but I am thinking that the plans were in the works to start priming people to gleefully accept cameras everywhere.

Thats just my opinion tho.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Portugal was once flooded by reallity tvs some time ago. i think things are getting better now. Tv sucks anyway. This might sound kinda pathetic but i stopped watching tv two years ago and i do feel much better now. i only realize how bad tv is when i look at it.(once a month when i go visit my parents.) it really is brainwashing (and i mean the whole concept of tv; i do admit that certain series are actually good stuff).

I don't agree when you say that they make monitoring look fun. in reallity shows what looks fun is fame, imo. people still want to be famous, and there's also that voyeur thing. people like watching other people (when they dont have a life).

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Skadi, great post and I partially agree with what you are saying. I think the meat and potatoes of the conspracy is bringing the worst most animalistic side of us out every night to help brainwash the public. TV makes people dislike eachother somewhat. If we think we are nothing but dog eat dog animals, it kind of makes incarceration a little easier! If we are these non spiritual souless beasts, why not lock em up when they get out of hand?

Its like the next step in the brainwashing technique. The first one was to make us not trust each other, make us seem dangerous. Now this. Another twenty years of this type crude and we are going to be screwed, and I dont mean just reality TV but all form of media brainwashing.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Family Guy, Sky News and the History Channel is about all I watch. never even a full episode of 'BB'.

But Skadi, you've got a decent point. It does seem that people are beginning to want cameras on them, if only because other people are doing it. And although I don't think that it would be the best method of softening us up, it could well be a method.

The solution? Stop watching the stupid shows!!

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
"Reality Based" programs are staged events that are designed to model specific behaviours.

They show blondes how to be dumb bimboes, show southern hicks how to pick a fight with armed policed

they teach people to talk about themselves as if they were baring their souls in the confession booth.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   

"Reality Based" programs are staged events that are designed to model specific behaviours.

very well said indeed.
more than getting us used to monitorization, they rather prefer to impose certain paterns of behaviour.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
Skadi, great post and I partially agree with what you are saying. I think the meat and potatoes of the conspracy is bringing the worst most animalistic side of us out every night to help brainwash the public. TV makes people dislike eachother somewhat. If we think we are nothing but dog eat dog animals, it kind of makes incarceration a little easier! If we are these non spiritual souless beasts, why not lock em up when they get out of hand?

Its like the next step in the brainwashing technique. The first one was to make us not trust each other, make us seem dangerous. Now this. Another twenty years of this type crude and we are going to be screwed, and I dont mean just reality TV but all form of media brainwashing.

I agree here with what you and others are saying. I myself don't watch TV unless its an interesting documentary or educational TV program, which they have little of either. I certainly have no interest in reality tv. If I wanted to watch a bunch of idiots yapping about hair, drinking, shagging, and the like, Id sit out in my front garden and watch the idiot students across the road.

I agree that reality TV shows the most base, lowbrow and shallow of people. But sadly enough, those are the average person: empty headed, shallow with dull wits and probably little awareness beyond whats in the celebrity rags. These people on the reality shows start from being nobodys and end up famous themselves. This could be another ploy to get people happy with monitoring. Even if they dont get on reality tv, it might be tantalizing to the average person regardless.

It just seems strange. About 10 years ago, the average American would go off at the idea of cameras and spydevices of different sorts here, there and everywhere. Now, people seem to be getting more and more ok with the idea. I dont think that the BS of the war on terror can explain it alone.

But thats just my thoughts.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Needless to say, the lack of TV programming is discussed at my house. (We've resorted to Netflix and BlockBuster for our viewing enjoyment.)

It truly amazes me that intelligent people would want to be on these shows.
But, it makes sense....we are being conditioned to be on camera IRL

It goes along with the cameras being installed to "protect" us on the highways---when many people have cell phones to call for aid.

Skadi, well done topic

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Skadi,

I have never allowed myself to watch reality TV - it hasn't been a hard thing to keep myself from either. Your post voices EXACTLY what my problem with it is...why the hell would anybody let some one video them in their every day life? Or worse yet, when you're doing something totally insane/stupid/disgusting???

And as you allude to in your post - now it's just common place to give up your privacy, your dignity - whatever!

It's weird.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by tovenar

Go's for me too. What a pile of crap foisted on the general public, no matter what country you're from.

I'm sure I read somewhere that reality TV was cheaper to produce(obviously), hence the glut of it. Maybe thats the reason then again maybe not.

Preparing us for some kind of Big Brother society was another reason that crossed my mind.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Personally I think the reality TV phenomena have more than one side.
The first is the "Fear Factor" element. Humans want to be faced by their fears - but in a safety zone. So they send in the clones. Seeing other people in situations where you DON'T want to be is entertainment... Right? Actually it's human nature. The average human cannot drive by an accident scene without bottlenecking. As much as they're disgusted by the thought, they want to see bodies, blood and hurt people. Psychiatrists have wild theories about people's strange interest in the macabre, but in the end no one knows for sure. It goes hand in hand with the "suicidal" effect. When the average human stands at the edge of a cliff or a high building, they consider jumping. Know that feeling? It's strange and inexplicable for the biggest part, but human nature none the less. And Reality TV shamelessly takes advantage of this human trait.

A second side may be the gossip side. People love talking about other people. Gossiping. Shows like Idols, Big Brother, Survivor, The Bachelor, Joe Shmo... You know the list; they give people the opportunity to gossip... Without hurting any feelings? Did you see what Bobby John did last week? Can you believe what Will Young said to Simon Cowell? And those that doesn't watch are intrigued and pulled in...

The third is the "15 seconds of fame" element. People want to be famous. People do anything to be famous. Reality TV makes that point very clear. And when we say anything we mean anything!

So we've got the willing fame-hunters on the one side, and sheeple willing to pray to their TV sets on the other sides, and money to spend somewhere in the middle. An obvious recipe results in Reality TV.

But there is a big problem. And I think this is where the brainwashing comes in. People are desensitised... “Oh, she eating a Rat Smoothie? Booooring! That's so last year!” Nothing shocks the TV masses anymore. Every time the reality tv producers need to go one further. Push the limits, just to keep the audiences interested. If nothing disgusts the viewer anymore, where will it end? Live executions? A "Hard Target" kind of TV show? And when we're not shocked by death anymore?

It cannot be denied that we are being brainwashed by TV. But not for some big conspiracy. No it's all for the money. The numbers. The viewers. If you showed non-nude sex (the sort you see in the soaps) on your TV show 40 years ago - people were shocked and outraged. Today you expect at least one non-nude sex scene in any programme. Did we become less prudent? No. We just saw it enough not to care anymore...

Apathy, as Skadi T.E.E. said.

IMO.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Skadi,

I have never allowed myself to watch reality TV - it hasn't been a hard thing to keep myself from either. Your post voices EXACTLY what my problem with it is...why the hell would anybody let some one video them in their every day life? Or worse yet, when you're doing something totally insane/stupid/disgusting???

And as you allude to in your post - now it's just common place to give up your privacy, your dignity - whatever!

It's weird.

The first time I ever saw any reality TV was in 2003, when I came to England and my boyfriend at the time was watching Big Brother. My first impressions was, god, what a boring, shallow, dull bunch of people. Sitting around and talking about nothing interesting in paticular. I thought, why are we watching this crap? So I convinced him to turn the TV off and go down to the creek with me.

During my time there, his family would watch Big Brother. I decided to see what the hooplah was all about. It went from being boring to pretty damn creepy. Like in the Big brother house, they have all these neon eyes here and there. They eyes reminded me of the All Seeing Eye, for those of you who are illuminati buffs. They eye was stylized, as if it was making the normally creepy looking all seeing eye, which gives some people the jitters, into a funny, almost mocking effigy. Like having an eye upon you 24/7 was fun, kooky, and hip.

Then you have the big brother room. Some of the contestants would go in the room and pour their hearts out to one of those neon eyes, like it was a trusted friend, with cameras trained on them. THAT really creeped me out, especially when the voice of "Big Brother" came on. The voice seemed electronically masked and modulated, which really gave it a soothing, almost droning quality. Friggin Orwellian!

Then of course, the group of contestants were required to perform some weird, and in my opinion, degrading task in order earn money for food. If a certain amount of people screwed up the task, you get money for virtual starvation rations.

That was enough to turn me off to the whole thing. It just seemed............wrong. That something that was so sinister and so Overtly Orwellian would be so popular that people were talking to each other about the contestants and what they did at work the next day.

So I am with you, Val. After that does of reality tv, I have had more desire to sit outside and watch my car rust than watch reality tv. Big brother is but one of many shows out there that people are glued to.

They simply could not offer me enough money to be spyed on and have some of my deepest, darkest moments displayed on national tv.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 07:11 AM
link   
From my RFID Research

Originally posted by darkelf
Reality TV puts us in the role as observers. We are the ones doing the surveillance. Something strange happens to us when we do this. Although intellectually we know that these are real people, we tend to view them as characters. We depersonalize them. Consider William Hung’s interpretation of Ricky Martin. Hung’s audition for American Idol was met by Simon Cowel’s “You can’t sing, you can’t dance, so what do you want me to say?” Hung’s reply “I already gave my best, and I have no regrets at all,” made him an instant celebrity. Of Hung’s numerous fans, how many view him as a real person and not a character? The reality of reality TV is that we view surveillance as entertainment. In true NWO mind control style, we are being anesthetized to the dangers of surveillance. We willingly embrace it. We have come a long way since 1948’s Candid Camera.

We are being programmed. Isn’t it interesting how television shows are called programs? There is nothing real about reality tv.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   
it is just conditioning for everyone to get used to being watched 24 hours a day. and the public love it, never have watched those shows and never will.

why would you give a sh*t about what some clowns do all day, but the public have been so trained into this crap now and the public brought it on themselves, because they only ever think about whats in there pants.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Then you have the big brother room. Some of the contestants would go in the room and pour their hearts out to one of those neon eyes, like it was a trusted friend, with cameras trained on them.

This is the core of it.

Most people never got enough attention as children. The thought of TV watching them instead of the other way around is thrilling to them. The vidiots at home watching it are secretly fantasizing that "its me" under the spotlight, with all of the TV audience hanging on my every word. Finally their all listening. too me.

The whole idea that you can trust an anonymous camera lens more than youre own family is the ultima in discusting. But we are being taught to bear our souls to the camera because THE CAMERA NEVER LIES

Every body wants to be famous. as another poster said. That is what drives the whole thing.

I don't watch program TV. I watch of lot of movies that I . . . urm. . . well, lets just say they came from "treasure island."

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Census
covertmatrix.atspace.com...

Have a look

I have heard theories similiar to this one, but why is that not a single hardware geek has taken one apart to document the smoking gun and show it to the world?

Why doesnt the guy that runs that site spend even a few minutes tearing apart an old junk TV to show us the super secret spy cam and blackbox

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Census
covertmatrix.atspace.com...

Have a look

Its not the first time Ive heard this theory about TVs and cable boxes.

I have heard it from a few other people, although they themselves arent exactly the most reliable bearers of information. (One of them is a big time tweeker who also believes methamphetamines are good for your health)

Maybe some techno geek on here could jump to the challenge and dissect a cable box or tv and tell us if its true?

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Well I have an older scientific atlanta box I could donate to the cause, and ill keep my eye out for a junker cable ready tv. I have a really hard time believing that cameras and mics are installed in all tvs and cable boxes and no one has ever disected one to prove it.

What I find more probable is the police or some govt agency obtained a warrant (or not) and installed a camera in a specific targets tv to watch them, but somebody blew it out of proportion.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
skadi,

Between your Avatar, and this post, I thought you might like to see this:
Feline Reality show

I pretty much have a problem with any "reality show" if the supposed stars know anything about the cameras being present. It then converts to Surreality.

Reality shows are also VERY cheap to produce. No script writing, no high dollar actors to pay.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join