It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S.: 3 Guantanamo inmates commit suicide

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   

WASHINGTON - Three detainees at Guantanamo Bay apparently committed suicide amid protests of the U.S. military prison by inmates, the Defense Department said Saturday. They were the first reported deaths at the detention center where many suspected terrorists have been held for as long as 4 1/2 years without charge.

Two men from Saudi Arabia and one from Yemen were found "unresponsive and not breathing in their cells" early Saturday, according to a statement from the Miami-based U.S. Southern Command, which has jurisdiction over the prison. Attempts were made to revive the prisoners, but failed.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Ok, would they have tried to revive the prisoners? I don't know, maybe there's nothing in this at all but you can never be too sure.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
less prisoners to feed and no no chance they will continue in any terrorist actions...

I cant help but look at this as a plus...

Also, I dont know about islam, but christianity believes suicide is a mortal sin.

so are these men burning in hell? doesnt seem like a good deal to me....

trading one hell hole for another....

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
the sign at Guatanamo Bay Prison reads:

"Hounor bound to defend freedom"

yeah, by not giving rights to prisoners to see their lawyers.

Pentagon claims that three men killed themselves at Camp Delta, and that we had nothing to do with it.

news.bbc.co.uk...

who in their right mind is going to believe that?

Even if you had a lot of coc aine and four bottles of your fav poison, you are not going to swallow that crap from the defence department.

the word on the street is that it was an extra judicial execution by the military.

these boys did not kill themselves.

devout muslims believe that suicide is a sin worthy of punishment in eternal hell-fire. (strange that suidice bombing is not !! but that is a different issue)

US is about to close Guantanomo. there have been many hints at this.

but US has also said that it cannot simply let go of some of the very dangerous inmates. top terrorists cannot be set free. they pose too much of a security threat.

so what do you do with them.

you can't try them in a proper court of law. there is no hard evidence to convict them. so best things is to execute them and claim that they committed suicide. no one is going to know. there will be no independent investigation. Bush will block everything. and the good old Pentagon will conduct its own internal report. Naturally ir will find a simple suicide. it will say these boys got depressed and killed themselves.

Whoever actually ordered their deaths has got blood on his hands. how can he sleep at night. oh i forgot. evil does not lose sleep over what it does best.

[edit on 10-6-2006 by mr conspiracy]

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   

THE commander of the US Joint Task Force Guantanamo, Rear Admiral Harry Harris has described the overnight suicide of three inmates "as an act of war".

"They are smart. They are creative, they are committed. They have no regard for life, neither ours nor their own. I believe this was not an act of desperation, but an act of asymmetrical warfare waged against us," Rear Adm. Harris said.

dailytelegraph.news.com.au...

Latest update. An act of warfare??
Can the Americans not talk about ANYTHING without mentioning war!

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
OK first off....

they are not being held "without due process" bush has stated that he is waiting for a supreme court decision on whether or not these men can be tried in civilian courts or tribunals by the military.

So much for the man who cares nothing for the law eh?

I do not think these men were executed.....not after such effort was used to keep them alive.....refer to force feeding thread.

when are people going to learn that these people dont follow the muslim faith as they claim but merely use it as an excuse...hence the suicides....

either that or the muslim faith is a very sick and demented faith....

I think both are possible...

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Sorry but i,m rapidly losing patience with humanity..

How they can detain uncharged/unproven suspects for so long is a simple breach of human rights.America is stepping way beyond the bounds of reality here.Who the heck do they think they are?? Keeper of thy lesser brother??
Sorry but when your economy and civil rights crash.I for one won,t mourn the loss of your ''FREEDOM'' or ''LIBERTIES''

Especially with small minded comments as above

Every life is equal and deserves to exist.

Maybe if peoples freedom wasn,t unjustly taken away WITHOUT CHARGE or''Democracy''' forced upon them then countries would go about their legitimate business without threat.

Bear in mind that Osama Bin Laden was trained by youR own flickering government to fight against the russians in afghanistan..

So why were you suprised when he decided..''Ok they,re gone..why the heck do we need america here too??''

America helped Saddam against overwhelming odds against Iran..again with disasterous results..

Maybe if the American Government kept their freaking noses out of local affairs then you wouldn,t even have a 9/11 or a Guantanamo bay!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
This was an act of rebelion against those who were imprisoning them without charge or trail in the name of freedom. The only thing the inmates had controll over was their life expectancy and they exersised that controll. Any loss of controll undermines the regime in charge of the US so this is embarasing for the regime. The regime would try everything to keep these men alive to avoid this embarasment. To think the regime killed them would be correct but not directly. It's ilogical to think they were murdered without any evidence or even motive.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
OK Yossaran and xphiles.. How would you feel if members of your family were held without proof in an inhumane place as this without charges?

Also they went on to take their own lives?

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Godamn you people make me sick. Do you have any clue at how many people die in U.S. county jails, state pens, and federal pens? Know how many people commit suicide while locked up? U.S. citizens face the same crap if not worse in our civilian jails, oh and you'll never see the Red Cross around a civilian jail either. People with diabetes don't get insulin, asthmatics are kept from their inhalers, and that's just here where I'm at, what about, Cali, NY.

Americans don't give a crap about "criminals" in our jails, yet, they freak the hell out with Habib goes on a hunger strike, or kills himself.

But, I bet if you gave one of those "terrorists" the option of an Egyptian or Saudi jail, versus gitmo, they'd choose gitmo everytime.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
You have voted WithoutEqual for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Thanks withoutequal.. you have given me hope in humanity after reading these morally devoid posts tonight

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
You have voted WithoutEqual for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Thanks withoutequal.. you have given me hope in humanity after reading these morally devoid posts tonight

people have different morals, my veiw was that the inmates conditions of imprisonment led to there inevitable suicide as it was the only action that would allow them to rebel from a situation out of their controll.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Yeah i understood that kipman and respect your opinion deservedly. but 4 n a half years of unjustified incarceration would have probably left me with the same choice..

if only to relieve my family of the incredible stress and probable bankruptcy involved of trying to prove innocence against a biased judicial system

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yossarian
An act of warfare??

Of course, like the Admiral said an "act of asymmetrical warfare" by committing suicide these people are feeding the Anti-US movement. They know that the US will eventually get blamed for their deaths, no matter how irrational it may be to do so. And judging by the responses here, its working, if it can garner responses such a this from the western populace one can only wonder about the Arab world. :shk:

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by WithoutEqual
Godamn you people make me sick. Do you have any clue at how many people die in U.S. county jails, state pens, and federal pens? Know how many people commit suicide while locked up? U.S. citizens face the same crap if not worse in our civilian jails, oh and you'll never see the Red Cross around a civilian jail either. People with diabetes don't get insulin, asthmatics are kept from their inhalers, and that's just here where I'm at, what about, Cali, NY.

Americans don't give a crap about "criminals" in our jails, yet, they freak the hell out with Habib goes on a hunger strike, or kills himself.

But, I bet if you gave one of those "terrorists" the option of an Egyptian or Saudi jail, versus gitmo, they'd choose gitmo everytime.

I know, I have seen the civilian jals frist hand...they are nightmares and living hell.

the people at guantanamo bay have it FAR easier because they get international attention.

the burlap uniforms that arent hardly ever cleaned adn smell...and do not FIT!!!

there are no beds but shelfs.....and the food is awful.

*shudders*

[edit on 10-6-2006 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   

OK Yossaran and xphiles.. How would you feel if members of your family were held without proof in an inhumane place as this without charges?

Also they went on to take their own lives?

my family and I are not suspected terrorists and as an AMERICAN I have a right to a speedy trial. THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT AMERICANS AND ARE NOT ENTITLED TO THE SAME RIGHTS AS I!!!!!!

AMERICAN RIGHTS DOES NOT EQUAL WORLD WIDE RIGHTS!!!!

they did not fight and die for these rights, thus they dont have them.

[edit on 10-6-2006 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
my family and I are not suspected terrorists and as an AMERICAN I have a right to a speedy trial. THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT AMERICANS AND ARE NOT ENTITLED TO THE SAME RIGHTS AS I!!!!!!

they did fight and die for these rights, thus they dont have them.

Ok Xphiles...then what is it exactly that we are trying to spread all over the place then, if its not democracy for everyone, its only democracy for a select few? I think your interpretation of things is wrong but if thats how you want to look at it, then maybe one day it will be for certain choice Americans too.

Pie

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
So xphiles.. did YOU fight and die for your rights????

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   

So xphiles.. did YOU fight and die for your rights????

my father and grandfather and countless generations of my family did. Simple as that.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

they did fight and die for these rights, thus they dont have them.

Ok Xphiles...then what is it exactly that we are trying to spread all over the place then, if its not democracy for everyone, its only democracy for a select few? I think your interpretation of things is wrong but if thats how you want to look at it, then maybe one day it will be for certain choice Americans too.

Pie

democracy for al qaeda and there sympathisers and supporters? no, we are trying to destroy them.

As for Iraq which is what your talking about, not for suspected terrorists held in guantanamo bay
....We are trying to get the Iraqis to build a democratic government for themselves. However, unless their citizenship changes they are not entitled to what are for AMERICANS!

the bill of rights, etc, are written by americans for americans.....its that simple.

It does not say.....this is for the world given by americans...:shk:

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
To one of the above posts that say the US killed them as devout muslims do not commit suicide is smoking crack.

Just becuse of your religion, height, weight, nationality, or what car you drive does not make you immune to suicide. In Christianity you are suppose to go to hell if you commit suicide, and it happens. I guess devot Christians are not as good as devout muslims.

So those American hands do not have blood on them that you say they do. You must be color blind.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since Guantanamo gets the most about prisoners attention, because it is the cool thing to beat on America. I wonder why no one cares about abuses in China or Iran? Are these people and abuses less important? Why are there no threads on those? I guess these people are not human enough or sexy enough to talk about.

Possible abuses from other countries
Iranian prison abuses
www.rferl.org...

Chinese actions in prisons
www.usatoday.com...

Please be free to vent of these governments too. I have never seen a thread like that though.

Nah, lets keep up with the USA bashing.

3 people commited suicide in a place that should fall under a court jurisdiction somewhere. The enemy combatant designation is a convienent loophole.

Were these 3 people some bad murderous terrorists? maybe, maybe not.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join