It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why people dont believe in UFOS

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   

a lack of concrete evidence...

that's the main reason

i personally don't "believe" in anything, i am one of those people that requires empyrical evidence that points to something's existence.

Ahh, but many do, such as God, etc. and yet don't believe in UFOs...therefore, one has to ask, why is it different.

The answer is simple...many believe what is "fashionable" to believe. Many of us grew up believing in God, Allah, etc. because our parents did. It was "accepted", and so we did so to be accepted.

Since the determined establishment of the "aura of riducule" of the UFO subject, it is no longer "fashionable" to believe in it, so even despite excellent (if not concrete) evidence to the contrary, it is still viewed as "ridiculous"....by mainstream society.

In the 40's and 50's, UFOs were believed to be a threat, and something to take seriously....this changed when Bluebook's shift became explain at all costs (as stated by numerous former project members and even heads).

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuicideVirus

Originally posted by Drexon

I'll take you up on that. Here, the STS-80 UFO footage in all its beauty.
www.youtube.com...

Yeah, interesting blobs. I wonder what they really are.
That's it? After my long post I get that? =/ I'm not basing my case on that video alone, it's just more or less irrefutable.

Ice crystals, forming a big circle in the sky, with one in the middle? It's not even probable, why even suggest it?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
As I have posted here before, I don't "believe" in UFO's, aliens, MIC, MIB, god, etc. etc. etc. Belief requires a type of FAITH, which requires one to blindly (to varying degrees) accept any given fact as truth when the evidence of said truth is less than credible or apparent. That is how religions get rolling, isnt it? You believe irregardless of whether or not it makes any common sense, right? Or because you WANT to believe, damn the facts!!! Facts dont fit whats stuffed into your head so, PFFTT, who needs them....

Belief, to one degree or another, requires the believer to suspend rational thought and critical thinking. Hell, in some instances ALL RT and CT are suspended. Had any koolaid lately or any members of Heavens Gate here? Humans are a quite gullibleand naive lot at times.

You are not going to be able to work on ANYTHING (insert favorite problem here) when you start chucking the tools you need to fix, discover the answer to, evaluate or attempt to prove the problem - ESPECIALLY because some other human being tells you that you dont really need the tools. Thats a bit stupid, IMO.

I, personally, THINK that it is probable there is life outside of our little ball-o-dirt, considering the absolute immensity of our universe. Because no widely accepted irrefutable evidence of that life exists, nor is there any of this possible life coming here, YET, we are all flipping coins and trying at times to convince others that when it comes up heads, its really tails and vice versa.

I THINK that there are a number, probably hundreds of very compelling, very unexplainable instances of people witnessing an event that defies what we experience in our normal everyday lives. Since these are outside of our box our ability to understand them is very limited.

I THINK that it is very probable that our and other countries government are holding a good chunk of that evidence from the public for whatever reasons, simply because that is the natural thing for governments and politicians to do when they encounter any tool of power (information, antigravity, time travel, zero point energy and on and on) either over said governments populace or over another government. The government ALWAYS acts in its own interest first and always will....just like anything else, it wants to survive.

If you need to label me (seems its quite the fad these days) I guess that I am a hopeful skeptic, very willing to accept any evidence or proof that will stand up to the tests of common sense and RT. I am very willing to think outside the box but am not going to swallow any red pills simply because its fashionable to do so.

I could go on but I'll keep it short and sweet. L8R

[edit on 21-2-2007 by Lost_Mind]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Human beings have EGO. That's the reason. We as a race will believe in magic, and leprachauns, and gold at the end of rainbows, and that picking a penny up when it's on tails is bad luck. It's easier to believe we are superior, it is as if we can't stand being inferior.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lost_MindAs I have posted here before, I don't "believe" in UFO's, aliens, MIC, MIB, god, etc. etc. etc. Belief requires a type of FAITH, which requires one to blindly (to varying degrees) accept any given fact as truth when the evidence of said truth is less than credible or apparent. That is how religions get rolling, isnt it? You believe irregardless of whether or not it makes any common sense, right? Or because you WANT to believe, damn the facts!!! Facts dont fit whats stuffed into your head so, PFFTT, who needs them....
[edit on 21-2-2007 by Lost_Mind]
So real experiences like the ones I described earlier... are to be ignored? As I explained I was sceptical of my first sighting, just because it was so frickin' out of this world I couldn't even comprehend it. I was a non-believer for 8 years, and then I see something almost along the exact same line. What the hell am I supposed to believe?

For the record I'm atheist since I was a kid, I've always considered myself a man of science and not 'faith' or 'belief', I've never seen a ghost or had an imaginary friend or Anything that suggests that I'm prone to this sorta thing. I'm just fcking upset that I got to experience these things, come here and have you smear your point of view in my face.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I'm not into the mystical nature of what exists or not, I see
electrical phenomena in the videos and photos of so called
UFOs and care less if I know what the craft looks like unenergized.

Here are snips from Lyne:

Refusing to believe what one sees is Platonistic and mystical, not Aristotelian
and rational. Believing what you see, what you have good reason to believe
is true, and what you have good reason to believe others have seen or
know, is the rational, scientific approach. It is also reasonable to be
suspicious of government truth-saboteurs who mix phony,
pseudo-Aristotelian epistemology with Platonist bulls__t. It is also rational to
disbelieve the sleazy people who will lie for T.V. programs, claiming they
were "abducted by aliens".

As you may have noticed, the "space alien" propaganda blitzes come in
periodic waves, on a regular basis, to continually revive in your mind the
corporate lie they have already planted there, that space aliens are "here".
As long as we, the tax payers, through our government, continue to supply
the money for the personnel, scripts, and productions, Hollywood will
continue to use our funds to brainwash and deceive us, under the guise of
"entertainment"

OK its, me now. If all those people are against your understanding,
whats up. Lyne says not to go into funded traps of disinformation.

So what you see is what you get I suppose.
So far I'll take the internet photos and videos, thats it.
Its something thing anyone can see.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   

So real experiences like the ones I described earlier... are to be ignored?

No absolutley not. I have had experiences that to this date I still cannot explain, but having said that I dont automatically take a dive into the pool of belief because of those experiences. I will probably struggle for years and years to find some rational explanation for them, maybe I never will. My experiences were no where near as elaborate as yours were, but they simply can not be explained nonetheless.

As I explained I was sceptical of my first sighting, just because it was so frickin' out of this world I couldn't even comprehend it. I was a non-believer for 8 years, and then I see something almost along the exact same line. What the hell am I supposed to believe?

If its necessary to "believe" in something to make it more real or tangible for you then by all means, "believe". My stuff dont work that way, never has. If you must believe in anything, certainly believe in whatever makes the most sense to you, whatever it is, but at least be open to what you have seen as not being something out of the ordinary. Its simply unexplained ATM. I personally just leave it at that until something new is brought to light that may help me understand it better.

For the record I'm atheist since I was a kid, I've always considered myself a man of science and not 'faith' or 'belief', I've never seen a ghost or had an imaginary friend or Anything that suggests that I'm prone to this sorta thing. I'm just fcking upset that I got to experience these things, come here and have you smear your point of view in my face.

Well I dont know how you came to the conclusion where I was specifically directing my opinion or comments at you but I wasnt. I am sorry that you are upset enough to accuse me of "smearing" my point of view in your face, that isnt my intent. As for the rest of this last quote, being a beleiver in god or a person of faith, to me anyhow, should never play a role in determining the credence of any given testimony or experience. Any story should be able to stand the test of rationality irregardless the story tellers personal beliefs. That isnt to say that there arent wackos out there, they usually tell on themselves fairly quickly and blow their own credibility.

Look, your experiences made you realize something that you hadnt before. Your having that realization isnt going to make it any more real for me or anyone else you tell it to. Thats personal, for you, just you. Why worry about what others think about it. At the end of the day, the only one your experiences affect is you. Mine did the same for me, and I'm not going to go around beating people over the head with them because I want to be believed. I know what I saw and thats that. No more to it. Someone elses opinion isnt going to change what I saw. Now you bring me some verifiable facts and we can talk.

If I happened to misunderstand what you were trying to say, sorry. Reiterate and I will try again, I can be dense at times....

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuicideVirus

Yeah, interesting blobs. I wonder what they really are.
That's it? After my long post I get that? =/ I'm not basing my case on that video alone, it's just more or less irrefutable.

Ice crystals, forming a big circle in the sky, with one in the middle? It's not even probable, why even suggest it?

Balls of lightning perhaps. They have been around sine 1944 and
the end of WWII.

Its True, Its True.

Under human control, with navigation systems we paid for, is also
a passing idea.

I think Lazar saw the new insides and saw the saucer wobble as it
started into hover. This is believable. His little gray person that
walked by at a distance might be a tad dis informational. Not that
it didn't happen, the masters of mind control staged it for him.

That way he can never lie about aliens because he saw what he
thought was an alien.

```````````````````
Trimmed triple nested quote

[edit on 21/2/07 by masqua]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   

So real experiences like the ones I described earlier... are to be ignored? As I explained I was sceptical of my first sighting, just because it was so frickin' out of this world I couldn't even comprehend it. I was a non-believer for 8 years, and then I see something almost along the exact same line. What the hell am I supposed to believe?

Drexon - You've encountered something very real that you've shared and not recieved the response you'd hoped for or wanted. It's the nature of a place like ATS to be that way and it's what keeps the site balanced.

I think the problem is (for me at least) that it is almost impossible for anyone to truly appreciate, empathise or understand your position unless or until they have the same or very similar experience. As I've said already, until *I* experience something I cannot ignore or explain or until I see absolute proof, I will remain hopeful at best.

One of my best friends is an abductee and believes completely as a result. We've talked about it and he's shared his experience. Yet, no matter how sincere and honest I know him to be, I still remain sceptical.

There is nothing you can do or say to prove to the sceptic like myself that what's real for you should be real for me too. That's simply because I cannot comprehend your experience as I have nothing personal to compare it to.

Grey

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lost_Mind
Look, your experiences made you realize something that you hadn't before. Your having that realization isn't going to make it any more real for me or anyone else you tell it to. Thats personal, for you, just you. Why worry about what others think about it. At the end of the day, the only one your experiences affect is you. Mine did the same for me, and I'm not going to go around beating people over the head with them because I want to be believed. I know what I saw and thats that. No more to it. Someone elses opinion isnt going to change what I saw. Now you bring me some verifiable facts and we can talk.

If I happened to misunderstand what you were trying to say, sorry. Reiterate and I will try again, I can be dense at times....
No I know. I'm just upset about things right now and I'm letting it affect my judgment. I of all people should know you can't 'bash' your beliefs into people's minds and expect them to take it for granted.

As for 'believing' my point of view is simply that something's happening, we don't know what and I'd very much like it if we tried to find out. Nothing else.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   

As for 'believing' my point of view is simply that something's happening, we don't know what and I'd very much like it if we tried to find out. Nothing else.

See there, we both want exactly the same thing. We simply have different paths and ways to get there. When alll of the chaff is removed its all the same....people get hung up in the chaff too much IMO.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Ego. Most people can't believe in UFO's or aliens because they refuse to accept anything that makes them inferior by comparison.

The human race is still in its intellectual and philosophical infancy. Flight was only acheieved in the early 1900s, slavery was only abolished in the last century, racism is still a huge problem, religious wars are tearing the world apart. Man is still struggling with his superiority complex over others of the same planet... we're a long, long way away from accepting life on other planets.

It's funny how the masses can buy into religion with no hard, empirical evidence of a God... yet when presented mounds of photographs, videos, testimonials, and government papers dealing with UFOs and extra-terrestrials they can write them off as hoaxes without a second glance.

bb

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I agree with you 100%, and all those folks looking for empirical evidence, how many of you have held a cupful of the sun? ( blind people don't see it so therefore it does not exist. ( amazing how a person can get the death penalty from an eyewitness, let alone a photograph or a film. but it's not "proof" cause they can be faked, I wonder how many times that comes up in court) I do not "believe" in UFO's ( I don't believe in the sun, or the tooth fairy or Easter Bunny either) because not everyone has the same knowledge, so I'm sure somethings in the sky are unidentified. Do I believe they are "ET" craft, perhaps, depends on the flight characteristics. but lights in the night sky, no those could be anything, ( but are "true" UFO's) daytime oblong or circular objects or triangles "Maybe" non conventional craft, I don't know the occupants, but it seems to me they are NOT humans. If YOU had a unconventional craft and could do the things that had been reported, Wouldn't YOU want to USE it? Humans as a breed are always willing to exploit the weaker, which is why I THINK, they are non Human.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedigirati
I agree with you 100%, and all those folks looking for empirical evidence, how many of you have held a cupful of the sun? ( blind people don't see it so therefore it does not exist. ( amazing how a person can get the death penalty from an eyewitness, let alone a photograph or a film. but it's not "proof" cause they can be faked, I wonder how many times that comes up in court) I do not "believe" in UFO's ( I don't believe in the sun, or the tooth fairy or Easter Bunny either) because not everyone has the same knowledge, so I'm sure somethings in the sky are unidentified. Do I believe they are "ET" craft, perhaps, depends on the flight characteristics. but lights in the night sky, no those could be anything, ( but are "true" UFO's) daytime oblong or circular objects or triangles "Maybe" non conventional craft, I don't know the occupants, but it seems to me they are NOT humans. If YOU had a unconventional craft and could do the things that had been reported, Wouldn't YOU want to USE it? Humans as a breed are always willing to exploit the weaker, which is why I THINK, they are non Human.

Interesting argument, it has made me sit back and reconsider my own stance.

I can't comment on the failures of the legal system, so won't try. We don't need to hold the sun to know what it is and what it does. It's there every day for us all to see and study. Yet, in the case of UFO's or the proof of extra terrestrial life, there is no hard evidence. The problem is, there are many thousands of faked photos and suspect personal testimonies to "prove" the case from people out to make money or gain some measure of recognition/fame. How do you sort these from the real ones without hitting the grey area and sacrificing your credibility?

There are many pictures and films of UFO's that defy any explanation and I think they can be very compelling as evidence of "something". What that something is, I honestly don't know.

In the case of something like the possible/probable existence of life out there, why is it so hard for the adherents to accept that the scientific method is valid? I cannot believe in something based on faith alone or because someone else is telling me that their photo is real. It's simply not enough.

Grey

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey_PilgrimIn the case of something like the possible/probable existence of life out there, why is it so hard for the adherents to accept that the scientific method is valid? I cannot believe in something based on faith alone or because someone else is telling me that their photo is real. It's simply not enough.
This is because UFOs tend to not leave a lot of evidence behind. I have some personal evidence stuck to my head, and I'd gladly prove I was telling the truth, being hooked up to a lie detector or something. Sadly we're just back at square one if we do that, doesn't prove anything.

I hate to compare this to religion, but I feel I have to. With religion it's ALL faith, faith in that's what written is true. In my view there's No faith involved. I've derived my point of view from personal experience and some (Some) witness testimonies and videos (no photos really).

The thing is, to even touch the subject of UFOs today you have to be able to think outside the box, and thinking in purely scientific lines is squarely Inside the box. I realize it's hard to understand these things for you when Everything else in your reality is more or less based on something that can be tested and re-tested, touched, experienced at will. I explained in another thread that all of mans knowledge only reaches about 100 yards into the air. We can't grasp UFOs so we choose not to even try. "We were right about all of those other things, what's to say we're not right this time?" is the basic standpoint of scientists right now it seems. We're high and mighty and suffer from a severe state of tunnel vision.

Even so, as a somewhat reasonable human being, you have to be somewhat aware of the fact that "Hey, all of these people have experienced 'something', and that 'something' can't be explained. I wonder what this might be all about?".

One might think that it's not 'probable'. But the one basic and ultimately hypocritical reason not think like this is that No One Knows The Probabilities! There's nothing on the other side of the equal sign except a big question mark.

When religion fails, and Science fails... what's left?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I hate to compare this to religion, but I feel I have to. With religion it's ALL faith, faith in that's what written is true. In my view there's No faith involved. I've derived my point of view from personal experience and some (Some) witness testimonies and videos (no photos really).

Even so, as a somewhat reasonable human being, you have to be somewhat aware of the fact that "Hey, all of these people have experienced 'something', and that 'something' can't be explained. I wonder what this might be all about?".
When religion fails, and Science fails... what's left?

Drexon, I agree with you. It's funny you mention religion. I left a lifelong belief because I had been lied to by people who supposedly were there to teach me how to live and believe. I realised I had become a robot, blindly accepting what I was told was true because it felt right for a time (years!) and because I was using faith as a crutch for my increasing scepticism. I think this is why I now have real difficulties in just accepting things without someone dropping the proof on my head. I'd truly like nothing more than to have some kind of "experience" to convince me. I suppose what I'm saying is that I really do want to believe and want someone or something to convince me. So far, that has not happened.

You are quite right to say that as so many people have experienced something, there must be some measure of truth. I agree, there probably is. However, without the personal experience and conviction that comes with it, there will never be belief for me.

Grey

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
This is gonna crack you up, because it's cracking Me up, but even if you have an experience you're gonna doubt yourself, unless you witnessed what you did with someone else and that way can get a confirmation that it was real. *sigh*

I'm even doubting myself as a witness, how funny is that?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
LOL Drexon!!

If I saw a saucer shaped object fly over my house, there would always be a part of me wondering if it was just tobacco in my cigarette. I'm not even sure I'd have the courage to ever tell anyone.

Doubt is healthy, I think. Blind belief without any questioning would be a real mistake. If after doubting and posing questions, talking to others you still believe the experience you had was real and the conclusions were correct, then you've done all you can and need to stick to that.

I'll keep looking out of the window...hoping

Grey

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Question:> Why people dont believe in UFOS?

Answer:> That question is so loaded that I could probably write a book about it! Anyway, the reasons are simple yet not obvious to the average person unless they take the time to do some research! I intitially was very skeptical myself until spending over 50 hours searching sites and downloading videos.

The propaganda against believing in ufos, ghosts, other dimensions, aliens...etc is so great that no one dares challenge the status quo. No one likes to be ridiculed or labeled crazy just for voicing their opinions. To be honest I avoid this subject with friends and families as its completely futile to argue something radical like this unless the other person already has some background knowledge and we can debate on equal grounds!

The governments and media are to blame for this! They avoid this topic like the devil avoids god. Why is that? Why are they hiding this great information from us? Surely, they must have motives and I don't buy it's just to protect us. That could be part of the reason but I don't think its the main reason!

[edit on 22/2/07 by SkepticGreek74]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
SkepticGreek74 - I think you're right in some, but by no means all cases. Not everyone cares about following the crowd or what others think of them. Propoganda doesn't work with everyone. You could use your own argument to show why some people *do* believe in UFO's.

Grey

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join