It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why people dont believe in UFOS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Cyrax,

I think you may be onto something with the brainwashing. Think about it. Every time something happened like Roswell and things like this, what we get from our leaders and media is deny, deny, deny.

Could we have been "conditioned" in other ways, besides through the television, papers and such to not believe in UFOs and aliens? I know we get the persistent skeptics on the news and stuff, but what has happened on a broad scale, so much so, that people will fight you bitterly about the subject of life outside our planet?

''Were, and are" ideas being implanted on us that tell us there is no such thing as life outside this planet? Yeah, I'm talking about mind control attempts.

And this is not the only subject like this that people will fight you doggedly about.

If you have fought with family about things like "Big Pharmacy's poisons," then you may know what I'm talking about. It's essentially the same argument, only on a differnt subject.

Here's how I believe it may happen; people are brainwashed and fed ideas through whatever means. They incorporate these ideas into their lives and believe them as "real," and it becomes part of their "truth." You challenge that "truth" and you are seen as perhaps a liar, or someone who is nuts, or who doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

Troy

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Here's how I believe it may happen; people are brainwashed and fed ideas through whatever means. They incorporate these ideas into their lives and believe them as "real," and it becomes part of their "truth." You challenge that "truth" and you are seen as perhaps a liar, or someone who is nuts, or who doesn't know what he/she is talking about.
Oh indeed. This is how the general mass who doesn't think for themselves work. These people believe everything that's on TV, that they read, and I'm sorry to say it, but movies about aliens and ufos have only brought them Away from the subject. They don't for one second stop to think where the subject even came from.

I don't feel a need to convince these people at all. Though to people in my surroundings (not a lot of 'em) I try to come off as someone who's 'just' interested in the subject. This way I don't state my beliefs (I'm undecided, agnostic if you will, anyway) and they have to assume a standpoint in which they ask themselfes Why I'm interested. I try to explain it as if it's something truly mysterious that's happening and I'm simply enjoying taking part of the UFO scene. I never state that I'm serious about it, just that it's a hobby of sorts. Because, in the end, the evidence already out there IS really interesting..!

Whatever, we don't need those 'tards (well they are, sue me) anyway. We just need to unite like we've done here on ATS and simply spread knowledge about the subject. Information is free, hand it out for all your worth.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by CYRAX
I think why people dont believe in UFOS are because they are scared of the truth, they are so brainwashed from the mass media that aliens and ufos are for looneys people who dont no the difference between reality and fantasy

If by "UFOs" you mean physical aircraft or spacecraft piloted or guided by ET beings or intelligences, I will tell you that I don't "believe" in such things because I have yet to be provided with any undeniable proof that it's the correct or best explanation of the phenomenon.

As for the "truth," well, William Blake said "Beauty is truth, and truth, beauty." I'm not afraid of it. I'm much more afraid of looking like a total idiot for falling for some ridiculous hoax or misidentification on my part.

People get in such a hurry to "settle" the matter in their own minds. To make a decision about it and stick with it. I know it won't kill me to decide on a position and then change it later if I turn out to be wrong, but I'd rather just say, "I don't know," or "I don't have enough information yet that I'm comfortable about making a judgment." That way I don't have to change my mind later.

If you've personally experienced or had that kind of information or evidence presented to you, so that you feel comfortable in making such a definitive statement, good for you. I haven't. You're free to tell me or show me what you know, and I'll decide for myself if it's definitive.

I'm remaining open minded about the whole thing, but at this point I have to say that I've seen no good proof that UFOs are ET craft of any kind. Show me some good proof, and I'll say differently. Simple as that.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Most people know that UFO's are out there and do believe that they are real but not in the way that you may think. Most know that UFO's are out there because most have either seen them themselves or have family members and friends who have seen them and have privately related that information to them. But most think they are experimental aircraft manufactured by our military in conjunction with civilian-based corporations who either have the funds to invest in such research or are actively involved in manufacturing those parts needed for such constructions. Those parts needed for such aircrafts are dispersed all over the world in small mom and pops operations and factories; hence why it's so elusive... but even today, there are many aircraft parts for known aircrafts that are being manufactured in the same way -- and it's been like this since the beginning of the aviation industry. It's all about sub-contractors....
But rest assured, the military plays a big part in all of this and I for one would love to find out how much of our tax money is going into these black budget projects that are producing and manufacturing these aircrafts.

[edit on 20-2-2007 by Palasheea]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuicideVirus

I think why people dont believe in UFOS are because they are scared of the truth, they are so brainwashed from the mass media that aliens and ufos are for looneys people who dont no the difference between reality and fantasy

If by "UFOs" you mean physical aircraft or spacecraft piloted or guided by ET beings or intelligences, I will tell you that I don't "believe" in such things because I have yet to be provided with any undeniable proof that it's the correct or best explanation of the phenomenon.

As for the "truth," well, William Blake said "Beauty is truth, and truth, beauty." I'm not afraid of it. I'm much more afraid of looking like a total idiot for falling for some ridiculous hoax or misidentification on my part.

People get in such a hurry to "settle" the matter in their own minds. To make a decision about it and stick with it. I know it won't kill me to decide on a position and then change it later if I turn out to be wrong, but I'd rather just say, "I don't know," or "I don't have enough information yet that I'm comfortable about making a judgment." That way I don't have to change my mind later.

If you've personally experienced or had that kind of information or evidence presented to you, so that you feel comfortable in making such a definitive statement, good for you. I haven't. You're free to tell me or show me what you know, and I'll decide for myself if it's definitive.

I'm remaining open minded about the whole thing, but at this point I have to say that I've seen no good proof that UFOs are ET craft of any kind. Show me some good proof, and I'll say differently. Simple as that.

I'll take you up on that. Here, the STS-80 UFO footage in all its beauty.
www.youtube.com...

I won't even comment the video itself, just look at it and draw a few conclusions of your own.

And yeah, I've seen 2 UFOs in my lifetime, and I'd like to consider them both 'real', but as it stands I'm undecided on the first one, in consequence making me doubt the second on. Sad really, seeing how they're both excellent sightings shedding light one a number of things.

The reason I'm doubting the first one is because I was actually out Looking for UFOs that evening. I was 16 years old and laying on my back with my head dangling down (probably flushing a lot of blood 'up' to my brain) froma tire swing set. I noticed something in the corner of my eye, just above a nearby house. I look there and something looks to be floating roughly towards me just 2-3 meters above a light pole, 'reacting' with the light pole, like it was reflecting the light, but just in a very wierd way. I sit up on the swing and try to figure out what the heck I'm looking at, thinking it may have been a kite, but it quickly turns out to be something way bigger than that. What I see is about 5 inches wide between my index finger and thumb with my arm stretched out. Try that out... that's pretty darned close. It's about 54 yards/150 feet away from me and looks to be...... well, a highly transparent/cloaked craft, making it's way forward completely silently at about bike speed. It looks to be 'billowing', however the only parts I can make out of it is the parts that I Can't see, the rest of the craft is, as said, very much transparent and adapted the backdrop color (orange) amazingly well. It's formed like your traditional UFO, though no 'dom'e on top. Also the edges are very hard to make out, seeing as they're only traceable by the apparent failure in the cloaking it was displaying. These are just things I notice in the first 5-10 seconds. I get up and and follow it, keeping low, near a row of bushes (the kids area with the swing set is closed off by bushes), and watch it glide across a nearby soccerfield. Then what happens is something equally extraordinary, it looks as if it slides 'behind' a pink part of the sky. I couldn't believe my eyes and I still more or less don't. It was a fully real situation and I don't remember feeling 'weird' in any way, I lived that moment and I believed it was real, though I have to consider the fact that I was laying down on a swing-set actually looking for one.

If this sighting was indeed real, remember I'm basing my assumption that it wasn't merely on the circumstances, nothing else, then it by no doubt proves to Me that UFOs, whatever they are, exist, and that they're intelligently controlled. This experience was very much in 'HD', nothing can compare to a sighting done with 20/20 eyes in terms of photographs. I'm sorry the circumstances weren't better, but you can't have it all can you?

The second sighting also included camouflage/cloaking to some extent. It was dusk (though later, the sky wasn't orange/pink, but dark blue) and the stars had just begun to show. I was standing there waiting for the bus looking at the stars, some 8 years after my first sighting, this time without a thought of UFOs in my mind, just... waiting, when I saw a star that.. moved. I thought 'Well, this is interesting' and kept watching it, aaaand.. I won't bore you with details, it continued moving towards me, then started making a turn, in the turn the craft (now about a thousand yards away) revealed a second star attached to it at a weird angle, though being a different color and 'bloated'. I keep watching it and in the final 5 seconds or so, where the body of the craft should be, I see a 'flickering'.

It's flickering. The body.. or rather, where the body should be. It's just a big oval area between the two lights, flickering in different shades of dark blue. The end.

So yeah, it's kinda hard for me to Not accept that there's something going on out there. I'm pretty much forced to, even if I sometimes wish I hadn't seen anything at all so I could just be left to my daily routine. It's frustrating sometimes, to remember the fact that you've seen something truly disturbing to your worldly image. I sympathize with everyone being afraid of the truth, it's just so much easier to deny.

As for believing, I don't think it'll even serve a purpose. Even if you believe there's probably never gonna be any proof, and you won't be able to do anything with your point of view. You can maybe gloat and think you're better than everyone else who doesn't believe, but that's about it.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Palasheea
But most think they are experimental aircraft manufactured by our military in conjunction with civilian-based corporations who either have the funds to invest in such research or are actively involved in manufacturing those parts needed for such constructions. [edit on 20-2-2007 by Palasheea]

Could you please quote your sources that show a majority of people who have seen UFOs think that they are experimental military aircraft?

Would most people who witnessed sightings in the long past (over 100 years) have thought that that it was their government making experimental military aircraft?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   

I think why people dont believe in UFOS are because they are scared of the truth, they are so brainwashed from the mass media that aliens and ufos are for looneys people who dont no the difference between reality and fantasy, i think if a sceptic saw a ufo land in front of them they still would not believe it was a ufo, if you believe in god or ghosts or any other thing that cant be proved by scientists why is it so hard to believe that we are beign visited by beigns from another world ,everyone has a right to believe in what they want to but why if i said i believed in ufos to the public i must be a weirdo, most my friends dont believe in ufos and when i start to talk to them about them they always try to change the subject, i am tired of trying to get people to have a opened mind and that its not a black and white world theres grey in the middle just waiting for people to find out that theres so much to this world and universe that we dont no im just glad theres sites sites like this and people out there who are fighting for the things that the majority of people dont see and the miniroty of people on this subject that do believe THANK YOU.

If you want to be taken seriously, it would be wise to form actual sentences instead of one GIGANTIC run on one.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing Drexon (might have addressed some of tezzajw's questions about my last comments in this thread too) . Your sightings sound like they are from the existential realm and a lot people see those type objects up there too where in fact they can even be photographed by those who possess the ability/skill or whatever to capture such objects on film or digitally.
There are two categories of the UFO phenomenon and one of those categories, rather you or anybody else likes this not, falls within the realm of the paranormal. The other category falls into the black budget/man-made realm regardless how inexplicable those aerobatics may seem to the average viewer when such sightings occur. Both types are seen with equal realness by the viewer when these sightings in either category occur and for this reason it's very difficult to discern if it's one kind of UFO or another.
But the bottom line is yes, extraordinary man-made aircrafts are up there but there's also some kind of higher intelligence that's somehow taking advantage of all of this by projecting phenomena in a mimicking way so as to cause confusion for us to discern which is which.
As far as I know, the military has aircraft up there that's so advanced and mind boggling, it has to remain secret due to national security issues (I guess) -- BUT, it appears that other forces outside of our known reality, who for some reason are playing their own games so as to cause major confusion on so many levels it would take at least a book or two -- or many to elaborate on and talk about those speculations on why they are doing this...
Could be that 'they' just don't want us up there now exploring space and advancing technologically than we already have.
So is this a good or a bad thing? It very well could be that each new advancement that we make technologically, opens doors for various inter-dimensional beings who otherwise would not be able to make themselves known or have some kind of effect on humanity had that technology not been developed. In short, perhaps certain forms of technology release certain forms of inter-dimensional beings....
Lol, just speculations on my part but that's all we can do at this point is speculate!

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by PalasheeaThere are two categories of the UFO phenomenon and one of those categories, rather you or anybody else likes this not, falls within the realm of the paranormal. The other category falls into the black budget/man-made realm regardless how inexplicable those aerobatics may seem to the average viewer when such sightings occur. Both types are seen with equal realness by the viewer when these sightings in either category occur and for this reason it's very difficult to discern if it's one kind of UFO or another.

Could you please quote your sources for this information? I don't know of any definitive study that has concluded that there are two types of UFOs with an equal chance for each of them occuring.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
teezajw, read the last sentence of my last post. Based on the number of posts you've contributed to this forum, just want to welcome you here and say that we members here are permitted to speculate.

Having said this, it seems that you are in disagreement with what I've been saying BUT THAT'S OK. I'm just voicing those opinions that I have so far based on my own experiences and my own research on all of this and nothing more. I'm not presenting myself as an authority on anything. And once again, I'm just expressing my own opinions and thoughts on all of this and nothing more -- but it's based on my own experiences and research.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I couldn't be certain if you were quoting from a reliable source, or if you were just expressing an opinion for part of your piece, or the whole of your piece.

It's all opinion, no worries. There's no need for me to try and verify your claims then.

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
I couldn't be certain if you were quoting from a reliable source, or if you were just expressing an opinion for part of your piece, or the whole of your piece.

It's all opinion, no worries. There's no need for me to try and verify your claims then.

Thanks.

You're welcome tezz! Just want to express my own thoughts on this subject matter and it's great that you are taking the time to read what some of my thoughts on this are!

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Pala> So did you want me to comment your speculation? I dunno, I felt I kinda couldn't, heh. All I can really say is that I'm sorry I had these experiences, I'd be much happier without them. =/

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drexon
Pala> So did you want me to comment your speculation? I dunno, I felt I kinda couldn't, heh. All I can really say is that I'm sorry I had these experiences, I'd be much happier without them. =/

Drexon, of course I want you to comment I what I was saying and I'm so sorry I gave you the impression that I didn't what that!

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Problem is, I don't really know what to comment. It's all really just opinions.. speculation. Can you list some things you want me to brainstorm on?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Whoops! Didn't refresh this page until just now. Let me re-read your last post ok? Will post again here in a few minutes.

Uh oh... have to go now... will check back here tomorrow.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drexon

I'll take you up on that. Here, the STS-80 UFO footage in all its beauty.
www.youtube.com...

Yeah, interesting blobs. I wonder what they really are.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I'm going with 'lack of hard evidence' as well.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I've seen the STS-80 footage before, and a few others like it. It's interesting to watch, but doesn't really excite me because I have no idea what I'm actually looking at. I can read comments about it showing UFO's and others about how it is just ice crystals. Who do I believe?

Considering the number of NASA missions that have produced film like this, it amazes me that NASA and the Government aren't jumping up and down about it, unless they already know what the film shows.

I just end up going round in circles with things like this. If the footage shows something that even NASA can't explain, then why don't they seem more excited by it and why isn't it on mainstream news? If it shows known phenomena that has been publicly explained, then why does the UFO community continue to speculate that it is something else?

I'm confused by the whole subject and all the more so after visiting ATS

Grey

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:50 AM
link   
In my experience I've found that most people do believe in the possibility, I think it has a lot to do with education, many who have a casual interest aren't aware of the many relatively newer events and evidence that is available like declassified gov documents, disclosure project, nasa footage and the like as well as some of the major sightings with multiple witnesses etc.. Unless you actively search for information your never going to see it, except for the occasional slanted news report or hoax being exsposed.

Once I put some information on our server at work and soon found that the interest was spreading and many who I would've thought to be closed minded did develop an interest. I do work amongst mostly artist types though, right brainers don't have as much resistance to the possibility.

That being said, many who do believe lack the courage to stand up and say so for fear of ridicule. Which is the heart of the matter IMO.

[edit on 21-2-2007 by squiz]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join