It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wall of Dust Covers Valley in Arizona

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Wall Of Dust Covers Valley At Rush Hour

A huge dust storm rolled across the Arizona Valley Tuesday afternoon, as thunderstorms popped up throughout the state driving high winds out in front of them.

The early evening dust storm rivaled anything a monsoon could kick up, even though a National Weather Service forecaster said it is far too early for the monsoon season to arrive.

The strange early June weather picked up early this afternoon with thunder, lightning and rain. Severe weather alerts were posted throughout the state, an unusual occurrence in a month known more for searing heat than cooling rain.

More...

You need to read the rest of that article.... Amazing!

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   
jeebus!!!

That thing is massive! I sure wouldn't wanna get hit by that thing. I don't even like the sand in my pants at the beach.
That's insane though...

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 08:19 AM
link   
That reminds me of the movie Independence Day. Wow that is so freaky. If I saw one of those coming during rush hour, the first thing I would do is call my boss and tell him that I just had a near-heart attack experience and I couldn't come into work. If that would have happened to me in any of my drives through Arizona, I would probably give up driving that route!

Seems like a lot of places have been having these dusty problems. Beijing had this not too long ago (dust storm, at least). I had found a worldwide draught map somewhere, and it was very surprising to see the extent of draught areas. I wonder if this is something that is going to happen more regularly as things continue to dry out.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Here's the drought map for the US. At least where I live, this is very unusual for this time of year.

I know better than to pray for rain, but even some trees are wilting during the day here, which I have never seen before.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Wow. That looks crazy. Almost like a solid wall. You'd really think that it is going to hurt you until it actually hits. I wanna try . . .

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

I know better than to pray for rain, but even some trees are wilting during the day here, which I have never seen before.

Please take some of Kentucky's rain! We're getting drenched over here! And it has been cool off and on and just icky outside for months now.

Edited to add: So, sorry this was supposed to have went in the Weird Weather thread. Dunno what on earth happened!

[edit on 9-6-2006 by zenlover28]

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Dust clouds in the southern part of Arizona are somewhat common.

Locals call them a "Hooba or Hoobah."
An Arabic word describing similar dust clouds in the Sahara desert.

Kind of spooky and aside from the flying dust and dirt they're much like driving into a heavy fog.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Every Year im blown away by the wall of dust storms that happen in that region. Those pictures are crazy lookin to say the least. Id hate to be rollin down that highway when one hits. Nice one Loam

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by zenlover28
Please take some of Kentucky's rain! We're getting drenched over here! And it has been cool off and on and just icky outside for months now.

Edited to add: So, sorry this was supposed to have went in the Weird Weather thread. Dunno what on earth happened!

[edit on 9-6-2006 by zenlover28]

Yeah, I was up in Cynthiana visiting family in January and it rained every day I was up there. Hope it ends for you all. I'll take a little bit, but not too much!

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I lived in Tempe for 2 years, a suburb of Phoenix, and when that stuff comes at ya, you better not breathe. Its horrible.
You got to close all your windows and wait it out. Then you go outside and clean up 5 " of dust from all your patio furniture. And all with 108 degree heat!!!!!

Yeah! Its a traffic stopping event if i ever saw one.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
That Thunderstorm which caused the wind kicking up the dust storm flew through here in Vegas. The rain was intense, though not the worst I've seen.

Hey DGtempe, it seems you and I did an opposite move flip flop. I lived in MA, and Moved to the Southwest, and you Lived in The Southwest and Moved to MA.

Crazy stuff.

-ADHD

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADHDsux4me

Hey DGtempe, it seems you and I did an opposite move flip flop. I lived in MA, and Moved to the Southwest, and you Lived in The Southwest and Moved to MA.

Crazy stuff.

-ADHD
Yes, we flipflopped.
Its been cold on the Cape and dreary and i miss Arizona right now. I liked being zizzled in the heat- once at 118

How about midnight when its at least 100? Gotta love it. I miss my dips in the pool at 2 am.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
dust storms are amazing..just so ominous and scary. I'm glad I don't have to experience one, I rather look at the cool pictures.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
It has to be completely disgusting and a great discomfort...

Really amazing.

Thanks for the info, Loam.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ptolomeo
Thanks for the info, Loam.

You're welcome!

Those pictures are amazing!

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I'vw been in a few of 'em, and it's really something to see. One time i was with someone who seen one for the first time rolling across the San Pedro valley, who was terrified that they werte witnessing a MASSIVE explosion until i convinced her it was "just dust".

Wierdest one, 2am on friday the 13th, my birthday, driving through Palm Springs on the slab, and the entire highway was covered in sand and rocks, about 20' of visibility, i got stuck a few times in the sand, and some dents from large rocks flying around. Like being in a nighttime blizzard, only instead of snow there was rocks. I finally found my way off the highway, and after a while it died down.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Its a dry heat as the locals say.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Just goes to show that you reap what you sow eh?

You live in the arctic circle, expect snow.

You live in tornado alley, expect tornados.

You live by an river or gulf, expect flooding.

You live in the desert, you get DUST!

I spent 12 years living near a peat bogg and guess what was on the soles of my shoes every night?......yeah peat!!!

If you don't like where you are at...then move 'cause there is always a worse place to live!

The most revered Mr. Beezer!
Mr. Beezer, now new and improved with a great new lemon scent!

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
And remember its not so much the heat.....it's the gosh darned humidity!

The most revered Mr. Beezer!
Mr. Beezer, now new and improved with a great new lemon scent!

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
My Ma lives in Phoenix, AZ. She told me about the storm and how the cars get covered in dust. I pity the fool [no reference to Mr. T intended] who pimps his car in Arizona. What a waste!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join