It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Universe/Entropy/Galaxy idea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I've been trying to do some conceptualizing about the shape or structure of the universe and I had an idea I need opinions on. Or most likely someone with more knowledge that can straighten me out.

This might be an odd visualization but this is about all I have right now. Picture a balloon that has already expanded into a sphere. Inside the balloon is a compressed glob of paint that could potentially fill the balloon but is very compact (see where I'm going?). The big bang would represent this glob of paint being burst out onto the rest of the balloon. Because the burst doesn't impart equal force in all directions some edges of the balloon are immediately filled and some lag behind. This is how I was trying to picture the universe.

I know it's been around for 15 billion years or whatever (6,000 if we ask St. Tom
) but we're seeing it on a such a small scale. Perhaps the universe is expanding but ultimately won't lead to a big crunch. The universe could still be in an early stage of expansion into it's final shape of a sphere. So the universe would just look like a big expanding glob if viewed from an outsiders perspective.

I liked this because it theoretically covered some other questionable areas I have. I know that there are problems with entropy and the distribution of stars and galaxies within the universe. I was thinking that the expansion of the universe could be working against the general entropy theory so that on a large scale the distribution of stars would seem off. But for small scale objects the laws would still apply. As I understand entropy it basically states that it's more likely for a system to become more disordered than ordered. The fact that life has evolved due to simple structures joining to form larger and more complex structures would seem to go against this. But what if we're just in an area of the universe that is particularly ordered? Maybe as time continues and the universe begins to assume a more spherical shape the distributions of stars, or white dwarfs for example, would seem to equal out or make more sense.

I had another quick idea that I thought was interesting. I was trying to look at the universe in a different way to see if I could gain some more perspective on it. I imagined that the universe was like the ocean, if you couldn't see the water. Then it made me think. What if the movement of galaxies or stars are influenced by space 'currents' like the gulfstream or other oceanic forces? Is this feasible?

This is mostly just speculation and i'm not sure how much of it fits into our known science or thought. If anyone has any thoughts, ideas, or can point me in the direction of someone who's already thought about this I would greatly appreciate. Or if you'd like to tell me I'm completely wrong then that's cool too. Finding out you're wrong is a great way to get it right. Thanks again.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
never mind... I made a stupid mistake my bad

[edit on 8-6-2006 by Mr Mxyztplk]

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
um, ok, i didn't see the original post but anything you'd like to add would be cool, even if you disagree.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I don't know how much I can add, I had a wrong window issue on my end.
As for your questions all I can do is recommend this thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...
on page 2 about half way down a member named distortion relays some of the more common scientific theory's \
peace
Mr Mx

PS have asprine on hand
I love this topic but I dont understand it in the least

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Also give this site a shot
map.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Sweet thinking !
I cant add anything really cause i am not a phisics major. But being that they are changeing and discovering things every day, you may be right about everything.
I do know that there are genusis working on the same problems daily. Even they
dont have the answers. I think that the human mind can not comprehend infinity.
And for this I think we can not think further, everything we have or know has a
beginging and and end. Dont know if I added or hurt the thread but anyways...

new topics

top topics

join