It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats call Zarqawi killing a stunt

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Source

THE WASHINGTON TIMES
June 8, 2006

4:09 p.m.
Some Democrats, breaking ranks from their leadership, today said the death of terrorist leader Abu Musab Zarqawi in Iraq was a stunt to divert attention from an unpopular and hopeless war.
"This is just to cover Bush's [rear] so he doesn't have to answer" for Iraqi civilians being killed by the U.S. military and his own sagging poll numbers, said Rep. Pete Stark, California Democrat. "Iraq is still a mess -- get out."
Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich, Ohio Democrat, said Zarqawi was a small part of "a growing anti-American insurgency" and that it's time to get out.
"We're there for all the wrong reasons," Mr. Kucinich said.
Officially, Democratic leaders reacted positively to the news and praised the troops that successfully targeted al Qaeda's leader in Iraq with 500-pound bombs at his safe house 30 miles from Baghdad.
"This is a good day for the Iraqi people, the U.S. military and our intelligence community," said Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada.
President Bush said that yesterday's killing of the 39-year-old Jordanian-born terrorist offers an opportunity to "turn the tide" in the war and that Tuesday he will discuss with Iraqi leaders "how to best deploy America's resources in Iraq."
A senior White House official cautioned that Mr. Bush was not hinting at possible early reductions in U.S. troops there, according to Reuters news agency

I guess eyebrows have been raised all over Washington, not just at ATS.

I think this is going to blow up in this administration faces.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Yes Maam!

I was just about to post this, but you beat me to it....

Exactly my sentiments, reeks like a fine piece of propaganda to boost the ratings which have been sagging lately....

Poor guy may be on his way out, and grasping at straws.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Hard,

Sorry i beat you to the draw. Wow, this is going to be spinning more than i thought.

Fireworks ought to start soon.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I will have to agree with the Democrats, taking into consideration how well this present administration has done away with using the media and certain event for political agendas.

I agree that Iraq has become a hopeless place for the people of that nation and for our soldiers caught in the middle.

November elections most be making many nervous in congress and a lot of pressure is upon the present administration to show something that can be use for political advantage.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
How many topics do we need about the exact same thing. Jesus.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Well, this one has to do with the reaction from Washingtons' Democrats, if you care to read.

Its NOT another Zarqawi is dead thread.

Marg, keep an eye on the Internet news sources, because this wont make the news on TV.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
It's been like this for years. Don't you know any good news for America, is bad news for Democrats? This is just like when Saddam's sons where killed, I thought Democrats where going to pull a "Wellstone Funeral" for them!

At least the media has no choice but to report this! They refuse to point out any of the other positive things, like the economy.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
FWIW, please do keep the discussion on the Democratic reaction.
If the topic goes off and becomes another Zarqawi is dead, this thread could be closed.

For anyone who just wants to vent on the news of the death, feel free HERE:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I think this is going to blow up in this administration faces.

?

Huh? They killed a guy that was, minimally, the head of a violent gang of thugs involved in the insurgency. How is that going to backfire on them???

I'll agree that the Pentagon 'inflated' the Zarqawi 'mythos', and that they probably hoped that a side benefit from that would be that one day he would get killed. But, either way, its still a success.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
It is in the interest of the Republican Party that these Democrats continue to express their views as this indeed is the exact thing that has led to their loss of power in the United States of America. Each time they express their radical leftist views (and I am speaking only of leftist in regards to US politics) it becomes more apparent to the average voting American just how "off the wall" they are. When will centrist Democrats throw this bunch to the wolves and take back their party? When will centrist Democrats realize that such outlandish accusations are the exact reason they have lost the House, the Congress, and the White House?

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 05:38 AM
link   
The only way the Republicans will win the elections (should there be one) is by cheating again- or worse. A police state wouldnt require anyone bothering to head to the polls, would it.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   

The only way the Republicans will win the elections (should there be one) is by cheating again- or worse. A police state wouldnt require anyone bothering to head to the polls, would it.

Outlandish! First the media weighs its polling questions, then they keep polling till they get what they want to report, then act like the elections were stolen because the the election data doesn't match their wishful polling data? Keep believing the wrong people DG.

Try to remember, you can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts.

Zarquawi was a bad dude. Now he's gone. The fact that these Dems think it's a diversion proves where they really are on this issue. With their heads firmly planted between their butt-cheeks! Good news for America=Bad news for Dems...

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Huh? They killed a guy that was, minimally, the head of a violent gang of thugs involved in the insurgency. How is that going to backfire on them???

I'll agree that the Pentagon 'inflated' the Zarqawi 'mythos', and that they probably hoped that a side benefit from that would be that one day he would get killed. But, either way, its still a success.

Too bad we can't give a mod a WATS.

dg, what did you expect from the fringe Democrats? Last month, they had the November elections all sewed up. Now, with one bad thing after another happening to them, they see it slipping away from them, so of course they are going to cry foul.

Everybody realizes that the death of Zarqawi will not signal the end of violence in Iraq. Yet we have people like Kerry saying that now we can bring all troops home in 7 months because we got him.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Dont shoot the messenger:

I was pointing out that the Dems thought it was another ruse by the White House.
A stunt.
You're not going to tell me that they didnt pull this rabbit out of their hats at the time when the military was getting such bad publicity?

Yes, you are! Of course, you are entittled. I happen to agree with them.

I also expect the dead Osama to be killed and caught, and pictures plastered, while at the same time, they tell us HE's BEEN REPLACED by an even more notorious, riffle wielding terrorist nut.
It serves two purposes. One: The war was not in vain. Two: Be afraid.

Everything they do is highly questionable, my dear.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Dont shoot the messenger:

I also expect the dead Osama to be killed and caught, and pictures plastered, while at the same time, they tell us HE's BEEN REPLACED by an even more notorious, riffle wielding terrorist nut.

That was supposed to be the stunt they pulled IF they were going to win in '04 as I recall. The leaders of the Dem party will think of anyone or any circumstance to blame for their impotence except for themselves...

Everything they do is highly questionable, my dear.

I certainly agree with this.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I was pointing out that the Dems thought it was another ruse by the White House.
A stunt.
You're not going to tell me that they didnt pull this rabbit out of their hats at the time when the military was getting such bad publicity?

Pure coincidence as far as the timing. There is never a time in this country when bad news about the admin is not in the news.

As I stated elsewhere, I thought this was supposed to be done to help Bush win in 2004?

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Are you kidding me? I know I haven't been keeping up on politics as much as usual, but we make progress in Iraq, and it's a "republican stunt"? Do the Democrats WANT us to lose this war? What are they supposed to do, keep it a secret? Oh God, what are those dirty republicans going to do next, capture Bin Laden? Peace in the middle east? God, what a stunt that would be! Now THAT would show Bush's desperation. Clearly, he'd be "grasping at straws."

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Democrats call Zarqawi killing a stunt

Officially, Democratic leaders reacted positively to the news and praised the troops that successfully targeted al Qaeda's leader in Iraq with 500-pound bombs at his safe house 30 miles from Baghdad.

So, if I follow the premise of this thread correctly, am I to understand that the Democratic leaders are lying?

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
was there not a story on prison planet that showed that the Pentagon knowingly exaggerated the importance of Zarqawi?

And if they did admit to it then why all the hooplah?

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TONE23
was there not a story on prison planet that showed that the Pentagon knowingly exaggerated the importance of Zarqawi?

Yep. They made him think he was bigger than he was, and he fell for it. He made a big mistake, and it cost him his life.

So the Pentagon ploy worked.

And if they did admit to it then why all the hooplah?

Zarqawi threw gas on the fire of sectarian violence. He personally murdered hundreds of innocents. Good riddance to him.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join