It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Genetically Engineered Cotton Killing Sheep?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Since this thread is all about Crops and GMOs I'd thought I'd throw this link out there...

www.wired.com...

Something like this should be used either for the mass production, or mass testing of GMOs. It's original intent is to bring mass production methodology to organic farmin, I can see it being adapted quite easily.

[edit on 10-6-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattison0922
I'm going to have to ask for further elaboration. I think I understand what you're trying to say. Are you stating that simply because a DNA sequence is inserted, doesn't mean we know what the protein will end up like. I think you bring the prions iinto it to perhaps highlight the idea, that a prion is simply a different energy minima relative to a different structure. And I think what you're trying to say, is that while we know the DNA sequence codes for a certain protein, we don't necessarily know what energy minima this protein will adopt in a potentially radically different cellular context. Does this about sum it up?

Yes, if prions emerge through the folding of mature proteins, wouldn't an unfinished one be even more susceptible to deformation?

Let's say that this protein does adopt the harmful configuration in this new cellular context. Part of the trick with crystal growth in proteins, is finding the right conditions under which the protein will crystallize. This may or may not resemble cellular conditions. If it adopts this harmful minima only under these conditions, it may not be easy to find.

Sure, but if your lab rats lose a thrid of their weight when being fed a certain GM crop, you know you're doing something wrong. Tests like these were carried out in Australia, iirc, the mechanism remains unknown though.

Anyways, there are known examples of outright bugs in GMOs, nothing is being done about them, as the case of the growth hormone so clearly demonstrates, i know of noother industry that can get away with tainted products as easily (well, perhaps the Pharma industry)

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattison0922

As critics of Monsanto's efforts with Bt cotton point out: studies on the leaf toxicity of Bt cotton were NOT carried out. WHY NOT? It seems logical to me that if animals were grazing on Bt plants to test the leaves... but then again I don't work for Monsanto.

It's the tried and true strategy - don't test, don't find.

Maximum deniability.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
On February 14, 2003 an appeals court issued a ruling reversing the jury in the case of Steve Wilson and Jane Akre versus Fox Television and accepting a defense argument that had been rejected by three other judges on at least six separate occasions. The appeals court's decision on the verdict was on the basis that FCC policies on news agencies reporting the truth did not legally require the station to report the truth in a news story, as FCC policies are not law. In Simple English this means that it is legal for Fox news, or any TV news agency, to lie about a news story. The story concerned the harmful effects of rBGH, a monsanto product, on humans.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join