It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Sr. Wanted Rumsfeld Out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   

George Bush Sr. asked retired general to replace Rumsfeld

"Former President George H.W. Bush waged a secret campaign over several months early this year to remove Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld," writes Sidney Blumenthal for Salon.com.

...The elder Bush went so far as to recruit Rumsfeld's potential replacement, personally asking a retired four-star general if he would accept the position, a reliable source close to the general told me. But the former president's effort failed, apparently rebuffed by the current president. When seven retired generals who had been commanders in Iraq demanded Rumsfeld's resignation in April, the younger Bush leapt to his defense. "I'm the decider and I decide what's best. And what's best is for Don Rumsfeld to remain," he said. His endorsement of Rumsfeld was a rebuke not only to the generals but also to his father.

The elder Bush's intervention was an extraordinary attempt to rescue simultaneously his son, the family legacy and the country. The current president had previously rejected entreaties from party establishment figures to revamp his administration with new appointments. There was no one left to approach him except his father. This effort to pluck George W. from his troubles is the latest episode in a recurrent drama -- from the drunken young man challenging his father to go "mano a mano" on the front lawn of the family home in Kennebunkport, Maine, to the father pulling strings to get the son into the Texas Air National Guard and helping salvage his finances from George W.'s mismanagement of Harken Energy. For the father, parental responsibility never ends. But for the son, rebellion continues. When journalist Bob Woodward asked George W. Bush if he had consulted his father before invading Iraq, he replied, "He is the wrong father to appeal to in terms of strength. There is a higher father that I appeal to."

More...

Remember this thread???

Third Retired General Wants Rumsfeld Out

I find it amusing to go back and read some of the responses.... Guess many of the accusations made in that thread apply to Bush Sr as well....

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Very good find, loam!
I guess I am just as anti-american now as father Bush. I suppose that is some sort of relief. You know you're now going to hear from at least someone that Blumenthal is a "leftist anti-semitic, eh what else oh!, communistic, human.) Sad, can't we just have everybody stick to the truth at some point instead of the left/right junk. I personally believe that is an important point that should be known, if father Bush was that interested in removing Rummy.

Again, good find!

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
If you are Anti-American then you are anti-me then.

Thanks alot dude.

That article seems more than slanted in one view, but I will say I do not like Rumsfield at all. And I feel his incompentence has helped strectch out the waste of human life in Iraq. George Bush by not taking action on firing him is a bad "decider" decision.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I just have a hard time swallowing the Bush patriarch trying to oust Rumsfeld, he did so much for them in the eighties and was knee deep the operations of the Bush regime. It's possible, but I have an even harder time believing that Bush jr. tells Bush sr. anything aside from yes sir and no sir, let alone 'rebuffing' daddy. I think if Bush sr. really wants you out, you're probably out. Gotta love the articulation of jr. though when he says, "I'm the decider" what a gimp.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
YEA...SO WHAT...BIG DEAL... BUSH SR WAS A BIG FAN OF ALL THE OLD SCHOOL GENERALS AND STATUS QUO THAT RUMMY SOUGHT TO DISMANTLE AND REMAKE INTO A 21ST CENTURY WAR MACHINE... I FAIL TO SEE EVEN THE SLIGHTEST VALUE TO YOUR STRANGE WAY LEFT FIELD TOPIC... ITS....NOT EVEN WORTH DISCUSSING.... IS THAT THE BEST YOU CAN DO ?

Mod Note: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/6/2006 by Mirthful Me]

new topics

top topics

join