It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do most straight people hate gays

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I wouldn't say that most straight people hate gays. I'm straight, and I certainly don't!

I'd say the majority of heterosexuals just don't care, albeit they find it strange and foreign because they haven't been exposed to gays other than from the "safety" of their couch watching television. The minority are either inclined to support it or hate it, for whatever reason. That's why the government never gets anywhere legalizing gay marriage or banning it- because since it doesn't affect the majority of the population either way, they don't take any action.

It's not entirely bad, though. Society is much more accepting of gays than they were, say, 50 years ago. As more and more people feel comfortable coming out, the more it WILL affect the general population when the people who aren't afforded their rights become their brothers, sisters, parents, children, etc. Maybe not today, and probably not tomorrow, but someday all this gay bashing will be equated to racism and sexism, both of which can be found scattered all over scripture but not tolerated in today's society.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I'm as straight as they come and there's no gay hating here. I think maybe that it's a fear or insecurity thing as a previous poster has stated.
People are people after all.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
1ST off let me say that i'm sorry for saying that most straight people hate gays. This is no excuse I was really upset by what people where saying in a lot of threads lately, because for some reason there have been a lot of threads started about sexuality lately. In these threads there is a lot of hate towards homosexuals. So I'm very sorry, I can now see how wrong I was for saying that. In this thread I have seen many different opinions, but no out right hate.

2nd I'm a lesbian and have been in a relationship for almost 7 years, I'm from Texas and have seen a lot of homosexuals in my time and a lot of prestigious also from both sides. But I was wondering if other parts of the country or world if it is such a big problem or it is just not discussed. I was really intrested in the Kentucky area because I was once told that it was a big problem there. So just let me know what you all think.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Please don't blast Cortara for saying 'most' straight people hate gays - when you are gay, it REALLY can feel that way sometimes. Not so much from people on BTS/ATS/PTS - but from the population in general. When the PRESIDENT of out country is calling for amendments to ban us from marriage, when the POPE is callins us 'intrinsically' disordered, when some countries still hunt and kill gays on sight JUST FOR BEING GAY - it can feel a little like we're VERY near the top of the "To Hate" list.

Just like I've heard over and over again from politicians, clergy, school administrators and other people that 'should' be a little more enlightened - "ALL" gay people are SINNERS, they are ALL PERVERTS and CHILD MOLESTERS, they ALL want to break into your home and redecorate everthing with pink!, they are ALL out to convert our children into their "choice" of lifestyle - and ANYTHING other that heterosexual sex, WHILE MARRIED of course, will surely send you to HELL! THEY will RUIN the sanctity of our straight marriages and send the U.S. and eventually the WHOLE WORLD into the firey pits of hell by making sure no more families exist and procreation is punishable by DEATH!!!!!

(I know, that was a little over-dramamtic, but that's the feeling I get when I see these senators and congressmen debating for the FMA, acting like they won't love their Wives anymore if Bob and Mike down the street get to file their taxes jointly or make medical decisions or jointly adopt children.)

So when thats all we hear from the news, churches, schools and Capitols, we feel like that must be what you all think about us. I don't hear too many people standing up for us, and I can't blame them, If I were straight, I probably wouldn't publicly defend Gays either, mostly because of the fear of backlash, or people calling them gay too.

Remember back when you'd get called a N*****-Lover just for saying "they" were people too? And how people would use the bible to back up their predujices and bigotry back then too, JUST LIKE THEY ARE DOING TODAY?

It does hurt - the things that get said about us, things that some people still think are acceptable to say and joke about - I hear it all - I work in a bicycle/skateboard shop on the little main street in my town - I hear what today's kids joke about, the way the boys talk about girls, the way they talk about black people when there aren't any around, - and since I don't look/act 'stereotypically' gay, I hear what they say about 'faggots' when they think none are around. And I just have to stand there and take it - with the way the economy is now (thanks Bush), I can't be running off the little bigots, or we wouldn't have any business left!

I do applaud their ability to keep it to themselves when they think someone that might be offended is around, or when an adult is supervising them (unless it's one of the adults that still act like that)- but as soon as it's just their 'clique', the BASHING begins. Acting like little neanderthals, and if their parents saw it, they would probably jerk a knot in thier butts, but there's very little parental supervison anymore these days.

So please don't be too hard on Cortar for saying "most" straight people hate gays - at least she didn't say "ALL"

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Choose love not hate.
Hating gays is hating love.

Who am I to judge who's love is valid or not?

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I am straight. I don't hate anyone. But I do wonder how many gay bashers will suddenly "turn gay" if the draft is reinstituted.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
It all boils down to this, you want to the freedom to live your own life as you see fit then allow others to do the same. If there are consequences to certain behavior then let 'god' do the judging as none of us are qualified to do his/her/its job.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
FEAR! It is as simple as that. They are afraid. Afraid of what people would think if they were ok with it.. afraid that people would ridicule them as well.
Its a viscious circle of fear.:shk:

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Here is what I think. The main reason is that not that gay people have not been around, but rather they are more out. If memory and history serve correctly, in the past gay people were out, yes, but not out there. There was no outlandish costumes or behavior. They acted just like everyone else. I would say, that most people had a relative in their family that was gay. Just that the person would show up, not have a wife or husband. But if you look at the current events of people who are going out and stating they hate gay people and it is immoral, you can see the echos of the past. At one time, most of America would have considered someone of a different race as a second class citizen. Out where there was a lot of African Americans in the south, there were the Jim Crow laws that promoted segregation. On the west coast, most would look down at people of an Asian descent. Even the Native Americans were put on the reservations. I would say that it is not hate, but rather fear. Fear of what is not normal in accordance to what society would say is normal. But on the flip side, here is the other aspect. I was living in Colorado, during their Adment #2 debate and heard this. Discrimination and hate is a terrible thing. But here is the real question. If you discriminate against someone who is gay at work, that is wrong, but it is equally wrong for a person to come out at work, as then the question is what is he trying to say?

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I'm pretty much asexual (meaning I have no interest in sex, not that I reproduce asexually XD), and I have no problem with homosexuals at all.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 01:40 AM
link   
This is my theory on the whole sexuality thing, this also concerns homophobia...

It goes like this...

Humans are scared of death right? I mean REALLY REALLY scared yes?
So we all like to believe in a life after death of some sort, many will not admit it but when it comes down to it, when your life is threatened, we all send up a little prayer don't we?
So if we believe, however vaguely, in an afterlife then we could naturally assume that reincarnation would be a natural progression, after all, who among us can genuinely say that we learned everything we needed to know in one lifetime? Few, i should imagine.

Now, if there is reincarnation, are we really saying that we come back every time into the same sex body? or even the same species? (that's another thread i'm sure). That wouldn't make any sense at all.
This could only mean that the 'soul' has to be asexual or indeed bisexual, ie. having elements of both sexes, it is this conclusion, however unconciously it is aknowledged, that scares the bejesus out of you average straight man.

The fact of the matter is, we are all born asexual, statistics on the sexuality of youngsters bears this out, i can remember a time when i found niether men nor women attractive sexually, i am sure that most of you can too.
It is also a fact that most people have homosexual fantasies at one time or another...

"A larger number of adults reported having had an isolated homosexual experience. And most people said they had had an occasional homosexual fantasy."

www.davidmyers.org...

Society conditions us to be afraid of the unknown, to fear that which is different or not understood, sometimes this is a good thing, it can keep us safe from harm.
But what happens when we suspect that we are in fact different ourselves, that we may belong to a sexuality that is little understood?
Well, we are afraid of it aren't we? And what do we do to things that we are afraid of? we either ignore it, direct hate towards it, or try to destroy it.
But what to do if you are afraid of yourself? You can't go around ignoring yourself for very long, after all you have to live with yourself don't you? Can you destroy yourself? Well sure you can, and i suspect that lots of people have comitted suicide because they saw inside themselves and did not like what they found (social conditioning again)
So maybe you can direct hate toward yourself but that is all too much hard work for most people.
No, the easiest thing to do is to take all that hate and destructive feeling and direct it toward whatever target seems fit for the purpose, this applies equally to many things but in this particular case it is the entire non heterosexual population of the world, which is by my reckoning about 6.5 billion people!

In essence we are all bisexual, it's just that some of us lean one way or the other while others shoot straight down the middle
(no pun intended, honestly!).

BTW, I am a heterosexual male and i am not afraid to admit that i have had homosexual fantasies at various points in my life, and even one brief encounter, the upshot of it is that i prefer women, they are vastly more attractive than your average bloke!!!

Anyway, this is my humble opinion, none of which i can prove until i die and come back to set the world straight!

Oh dear, running out of characters now, time to stop babbling. I do hope this has been thought provoking, it's a theory that i tell to anyone i can, i have even 'cured' the odd homophobe with it!

Q

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Thank you all for your post, you all are making me have a better day than the other day. Bad day I guess. Does anyone know exactally when the amendment is suppose to be trying to get passed by Bush?

Also I was wondering was everyones different opinions on wthere marriage or unions or none at all are better for the homosexual community.

I personally would love to get married with my wife, but I would be just as happy with a union so that if anything happened to my wife and something medical needed done I could have a say or just be there. It scares me that something could happen and I might not even get to see her.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   
THEQUANTUMSHAMAN that is a very interesting theory you may be on to something there, but I think that most people would scared to explore that idea. I have always felt that there is more hate directed at bi-sexuals than gays, because so many people see everything as a choice and they think they won't choice or that they are being wh#*@'s

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by CORTARA
THEQUANTUMSHAMAN that is a very interesting theory you may be on to something there, but I think that most people would scared to explore that idea. I have always felt that there is more hate directed at bi-sexuals than gays, because so many people see everything as a choice and they think they won't choice or that they are being wh#*@'s

Thank you for your kind words cortara, though i fear you may be right that most would be afraid to explore this issue. In any case, given the proliferation of sexuality related threads on ats of late i have decided to make this the subject of a new thread, wonder where it'll go?

Q

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 02:55 AM
link   
you never know around here

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by CORTARA
you never know around here

Indeed, have you, or anyone else for that matter, seen the thread on gay conspiracy in car manufacturing?
Un freaking believable!!

www.belowtopsecret.com...'

Sexuality seems to be a big issue on ats at the mo, this thread has made 12 pages!
A long read, but worth it if only for the comedy value!

Regards,
Q

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I have seen the car one and I did laugh hard on that one. I'm wondering why sexuallity is so hot right now, because it has been a issue for awhile. Maybe everyone is coming out of the gay/lesbian/bi/straight closet. I don't know

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 06:06 AM
link   

On the otherhand, I find it so damn ignorant when I hear people slagging off homosexuals, etc, it really gets on my nerves.

yes, i totally agree. Live and let live.

i have several gay friends (male and female) 2 gay friends of mine own a gay bar, both me and my best mate lend support once a week and drink in there. Ive been chatted up a few times but it soon becomes apparent im not gay so there is never a problem.

I hate having anybodys point of view pushed on me, so i do get somewhat annoyed when i have gay people ramming it down my throat, but that would be exactly the same annoyance if they were a Jehovias witnessor banging on about cosmic ordering.

I am against gay adoption as i believe a child needs the input of both male and female parents, but gay marrige should be celerbrated as a union between two people that love each other, regardless of sex.

Homophobic people have inherited the poor social skills and fears of previous gigotted generations, in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   
what a great read!

the thread title suggests one thing and then the majority of threads/responses have actually said..No! this isnt how I feel!

Hate is such a strong word. I dont hate anyone... and its so great to see the level of tolerance/education here.

One of my friends when her boy was 7 wanted to dress in girls clothes..all the time and she was like oh shivers!! what am I gonna do?? I could see her fear. He is also such an girl for a boy...I mean my girl has more b******s than this one, but genetics is what it is. This lad is now 17 and has not had a g/f...he even speaks with that shwing voice....seems to me he is predisposed somehow genetically to be gay. How can you hate them when they are born that way? I have friends that are gay and I love them to bits.

You have to get to know people based on their heart and not let fear or judgement get in the way of that.

I must say, I would like to give the majority of people WATS but I dont think I cant do that? (cos we only get 2 votes a month??) Either way, it is such a relief to see the responses proving the title wrong.

oh edit to state: that I am not coming out of a closet.. I am straight/monogamous/hetro

[edit on 10-6-2006 by NJE777]

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I don't hate gays but I will slander homosexuality.

For me it's the whole "man on man" intimacy that disgusts me. As a male who is attracted to females, I find it repulsive that a male could be attracted to another male. They themselves as people don't bother me, but I draw the line when they engage in intimacy.

I just find homosexuality disgusting and freakish.

I find female's freakish too. I would never want to be one. EVER. I would never want to be attracted to another male. They must be trapped in hell. They are beautiful and attractive, but as far as being one-- NO WAY.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join