It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masked Gunmen Escape After Staging Ambush Attack in Miami

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Multiple gunmen, riding in two vehicles, ambushed a van in Miami on Monday, killing three and critically injuring a fourth. Authorities don't believe this is a random attack, but they have provided no information as to a possible motive. Police are still searching for the attackers.

www.foxnews.com
Masked gunmen ambushed a van Monday, killing three men and wounding another, authorities said. Several gunmen in two cars surrounded the van, shot the victims and escaped in their vehicles in central Miami, police spokesman Lt. Bill Schwartz said.

"It was an ambush," Schwartz said. "They shot the van to pieces and they shot the men inside ... to pieces."

Detective Willie Moreno, a police spokesman, said the ambush was not random but did not say what the motive might have been. "It appears that at least one of these individuals was a target," Moreno said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, this reeks of a mob hit. I love the comment made by the police spokesman. It appears that one of these individuals was a target? How did he figure that out, do you suppose? Hundreds of bullet holes, maybe?

Miami is a nasty town, it's prime territory for more than a handful of organized criminal cartels, engaged primarily in smuggling and narcotics distribution. It's one of the key entry points in the US, for drugs and guns, as well as human cargo. That's contested real-estate down there, to put it mildly. Still, this brazen display is pretty unusual. LEO's in the states aren't used to dealing with cases like this, which are much more common in war zones, former soviet republics, and other anarchic settings.

My guess at this time is that this was a 'routine' hit, but of course it's a bit hotter and heavier than some in the states might be used to. It's hard to guess who might be responsible, but if I had one guess I would have to put my money on the Russians. Their guys are known for this style hit, nothing subtle or crafty about it, but it certainly is effective and it sends a clear message. Really though, it's way too early to speculate. This could have been something completely different. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what additional information emerges. (For the conspiracy-minded, this incident takes place against a back drop of increasing pressure to criminalize gun ownership to various degrees in urban settings, specifically Miami, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, and NY, see the link below for additional info.)

Related News Links:
Link

[edit on 6-6-2006 by WyrdeOne]

[edit on 6-6-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Here's an article going into more detail.

www.local10.com...

Police are looking for four men and two vehicles in connection with the shooting. The cars are described as a red or burgundy Nissan Sentra and a white Nissan Sentra or Altima. The shooters are described as being in their mid-20s to early 30s, dressed in all black.

Police said that there is concern that this ambush may have been retaliation for the death of an 18-month-old who was killed when he was caught in gunfire last month. Now, investigators said they also fear that there will be more violence in retaliation for the deaths in the ambush.

Investigators told Local 10 that much of the recent violence is connected to feuding Haitian gangs and an escalating gang war.

Well, that's certainly a plausible explanation.

Could very well be more to this, although the cars driven by the assailants seem consistent with the profile presented by police.

Retaliation for the killing of an 18 month old child? What a mess...

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Wyrde, I think you're right. The Russian mob is composed of ( at least has a significant element of) for soviet soldiers and KGB agents who were out of work after the cold war. that's the primary reason why it was able to expand so aggresively.

DE

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
DE, absolutely, that's why they've made such rapid gains. They've got a huge advantage in training and are generally 'harder-edged' than their competition. There's also a big nationalist component, that stokes the fire and keeps their men loyal.

Anyway, it appears now that the Russians had nothing to do with this. I'm waiting to find out what weapons were used in the attack, but it looks like a local feud between Haitian gangs.

Young men throwing their lives away for some quick cash and ephemeral 'respect' from their neighborhood... :shk:

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Well, although it is true that the Russian mafia is in control of most of the orginized crime in Miami, Miami is nothing at all like "war zones, former soviet republics, and other anarchic settings"... L.A. is much worse than Miami, and so are parts of New York.

Miami is not "a nasty place", only someone who has never lived there would say that. I left that area because I prefer being closer to the mountains, Wyoming is a beautiful state, and yes it is more peaceful, less crime, etc, etc.

Events like the one mentioned in this article does not happen in a daily basis at all, they are rare.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Well, although it is true that the Russian mafia is in control of most of the orginized crime in Miami, Miami is nothing at all like "war zones, former soviet republics, and other anarchic settings"... L.A. is much worse than Miami, and so are parts of New York.

I think you may have mis-read my post. I didn't say that Miami was a warzone, only that such ambush attacks, where people get shot to pieces in their cars, are more commonly associated with warzones and former soviet states.

It's definitely not common in the states, and I think I made a point of mentioning that (twice).

Miami is not "a nasty place", only someone who has never lived there would say that.

I'm quite sure that's a matter of opinion, and in my opinion, it's a nasty place. But you're right, I've never lived there. I visited once, and the climate, combined with the ridiculous number of geriatrics, combined with the crime, turned me right around.

Some folks like living in places with exhorbitant amounts of flesh on display, with heat and humidity and beaches and all that. Give me the emerald mountains any day.

new topics

top topics

join