It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey ya'll. Eight months later I'm back.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Hey ya'll. I don't know if many of you remember me, but I shipped out to Iraq about 8 months ago. I only kept up a journal for about a month, but after that things got a bit hectic. Anyways, here's a little overview of what happened.

It was uneventful for the first few months. I was assigned as a battalion aide, and put in command of a platoon. I was re-assigned to Kirkuk, where I spent my entire in-country experience. I led routine patrols, took small arms fire, and even experienced a mortar attack during my time. At about month six, with only two months left of my deployment, one of the saddest days occurred that I can remember. We were just west, outside of the city, cruising along in a patrol. Everything was going fine, I was with my platoon, spirits were generally high, and the patrol was almost over. We were about to head back in when we began taking sporatic fire. Five minutes into the firefight, I got a call on the horn, and heard some horrible news. One of my team leaders had called for a field medic. I knew we had problems when I heard that. I rushed to see what had happened, and when I got there I saw a former young man; confident, strong, and proud. Unfortunately, that wasn't going to be enough on that particular day. He took a round to the back of the neck, where the kevlar is designed to stop shrapnel hits, rather than direct fire. He was dead on the spot. The fire fight went on for another ten minutes or so, when we could tell that the enemy was starting to lose its backbone. The fire was beginning to die down, and as it did a medevac flew in. They took the young man out, and we went for the opforce we had encountered. All told, we confirmed seven enemy combatants KIA. One U.S. soldier KIA, and one wounded with a graze.

That was the most memorable experience I can remember. However, not all was bad. I still encountered smiling children who were grateful for U.S. presence.

All in all, its' tough over there. Without a doubt, the men and women serving over there are giving it their all. However, I deeply think that the media (maybe especially the U.S. outlets) are exaggerating the situation over there. At least that is my opinion after my experience.

Anyways, thanks for listening and after eight months being absent from the world of ATS, I'm glad to be back.

-dave

[edit on 5-6-2006 by WeBDeviL]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Glad to see you are ok and after eight months. It doesn't even seem like you were gone that long to me, hmm admittingly I was off and on again here for awhile.

Looking forward to reading from you again. There are a few others who are also over there, or were when they last posted. Medic hasn't been heard from in awhile, and his site is quiet. He might be as you were in the field though, he said they were going to Baghdad last I read. I wonder if he went through gunners palace.

Glad your back.

*Toasts with a drink of barley pop*

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Welcome back to ATS, WeBDeviL!

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Welcome home WD, I'm glad you made it back to us. Looking forward to your posts too.

wupy

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Welcome back, WebDevil. Glad you made it safely back home.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
im new, but welkome back mate.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I hope Medic is doing alright. Like I said, I lost one man under my watch in Iraq, (and that was one too many), but I'm thanking God it was only one. Let's hope Medic is doing fine

But it's good to be back. Even if this place gets rather crazy sometimes.

[edit on 6-6-2006 by WeBDeviL]

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   
This place may be crazy, but at least the mortar fire has been brought under control.

Do we remember you? Yeah, we do, and we're glad you're back - safe and sound and in one piece.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Welcome back. You got alot of catching up to do.

Glad to see your head is still attached, and your sanity at least appears unscathed. Do share your observations, perhaps you can establish some sort of balance and renew a little faith.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Welcome back webdevil...

I made a note to check on you... glad to know you are back safe and sound...
My thoughts go out to you in regards to your loss... I hope the other guy will be alright.

I really hope you dont have to go back...

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Here's that thread, BTW (I think).

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
Hey ya'll. I don't know if many of you remember me, but I shipped out to Iraq about 8 months ago.

Excellent! Glad to see you back safe and sound.

No doubt some things here have changed a bit in that time, but we're still the same great place. Awww, who am I kidding? It's even better.

Anyway, welcome back.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Glad you are back. Nice to see 7 to 1 odds. Make me feel better about the troop safety there.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I just wanted to send you a hello, thank you!
My name is Nitevixen440/Jenn I just became a member last night of this site, was browsing around read your entry and thought I'd say Howdy, thank you and all of that!

Talk to you later,
nv440

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
WElcome back buddy!

great to see you return again,

newbie helpline still going strong

Talk to you soon

Asala

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I remember some people asking if something had happend to you when you stopped reporting.

Great to have you back Devil!

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I havent been on here long enough to of spoke to you before but welcome back anywho
!!!!

Blue x x x x x x

new topics

top topics

join