It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

test cases and slow news days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Do you think that ATS sometimes puts up test cases / photos to test the membership or to give some scope of debate during slow news days?

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Maybe but I think for the most part it's the users putting up new posts. Although I do suspect that some times the staff will put up dubious post just to keep us on our toes. I have no proof just a gut feeling.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Do you really think that ATS staff has time to make up stuff to post?
Most, if not all, of us work for a living and spend our time online Denying Ignorance and applying the T&C.
And being like every other member and reading/learning/posting and applying humor now and then.

Besides, in the case of world events, fact is stranger than fiction

[edit on 5-6-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I think it's kids bored in a highschool computer class. I know when i took C++ in highschool we spent much of the time tormenting people online. They tell some far out story and watch a few fools believe it, and then watch the uprising of people who waste time debating it. The next day they look at it and laugh their asses off.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
no, no, and no...

this isn't happening, i assure you...

well, it only happens on either halloween or april fools day

anyone remember those???

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
All I'm saying is if a mod 10-15 minutes to kill, and with nothing better to do (maybe while waiting for a meeting?) might chose to test his/her fellow ATSers and put a of a hoax up just to see how quickly the hoax is debunked. And maybe even feels a little pride when they see that by the third or forth post it has been unquestionably debunked.
I'm not saying that it does happen only that it could

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I'm beginning to take offence to all this nonsense.

Let me inform you that I do not post "test cases" or "fake news". I was a member before I became a supermoderator and I value my membership here more than I do any position. I have never changed my interests or my posting habits since becoming a member and this type of random accusations is really begin to irk me.

All threads that I create and post, are threads based on topics that interest me and caught my attention. I am personally a news junkie and weather nut, and I share what I feel is not covered or given enough attention in the mainstream media.

Why would any of us ever post a thread if we didn't want others to read and discuss it?

my gosh!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
There is some sort of test going on here.

Very weird.

very!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
The only time I recall anyone putting something up they knew was false was about a year and a half ago maybe? It was after the big stirring success of the Find The Rings game I think.

Simon (I think it was Simon so correct me if I'm wrong) put up a photo of some jet or something over some mountains with balls of light chasing it...and I believe it was posted under the guise of Simon receiving these pics under some odd circumstance or maybe it was Simon posing as someone else.

Well us being who we are, you had those who knew it was fake by looking at it, those who new it was a fake photo because they have a lot of photography experience, the believers, name callers and skeptics all got into such a state (me included I'll admit) that within a few hours someone had to come forward and admit it was the start of a new game...which I believe happened after a couple of posters had brought up the possiblilty it was a new game being started by Simon in the first place.

Harmless and meant to jumpstart a second game that was hoped to be as successful as find the rings.

I didn't play either game so don't know how it turned out but I remember the inciting incident.

But in hindsight a very good way to judge ats members reactions to tom foolery. It's a good group.

Did I get that mostly right?

Spiderj

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by T Trubballshoota
...slow news days?

These are some of the most extraordinary days of my life-time. I don't know how you came to the conclusion that there are "slow news days".

In fact, I long for some normalcy in the news... Unfortunately, I think we're just only getting started.

[edit on 5-6-2006 by loam]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Worldwatcher,
No offense intended, If my words hurt by all means I apologize. The OP asked if this could happen and I came up with a theory as to how it could. I do not stand by it, but it does make a little sense to me. But I would never say that moderators in fact do this. And I can see why you would be insulted, yet again I apologized if I did indeed offend you.
But now a question if you will, do you not feel pride when you see a hoax quickly killed off by a thorough investigation by fellow members? Yes anger at the hoaxer but pride for the community

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
you have understand that days and days of seeing all this attacking in various forms against ATS, admin and staff can be really aggravating, especially when you know it's all false, but no matter what you say or do, someone will find a way to blindly turn it against us. It's McCarthyism in play and if members took the time to research all of ATS, look at posts from admin and mods from previous years, they would know that we're just regular conspiracy minded individuals trying to learn and share and upkeep a community we hold dearly.

as for your question,I take pride in the fact that there is a community ( ATS)where logical and critical thinking is valued and shared by members. What's the point in Denying Ignorance if logic cannot be used to "debunk" hoaxers. And no I don't get mad at hoaxers, some are quite entertaining until they begin to take themselves too seriously.. I actually feel more sympathy and sorrow for those who have to resort to delusional fantasies to make themselves interesting.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I share worldwatcher's sentiments completely, it is very frustrating and personally upsetting each and every time someone implies we attempt to create deception and instigate "misinformation campaigns" just because we can, or because we are bored. It's complete nonsense.

As has been mentioned, the only time a staff-initiated prank occurs is on April Fool's Day (which was cancelled this year due to pre-existing board drama) and on Halloween. This is well known among the long-standing members and not only expect it, but look forward to it in anticipation.

When we hold ATS competitions, we occasionally insert information into already existing topics (whether it be a completely obscure phrase, a pattern of letters/numbers or an image) as part of the game, but we make this known in the beginning of the competition.

The idea of bored moderators trying to make fools of the membership is rediculous.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Hoaxing, when it is not an organized event that everyone knows about as mentioned by the boss, is severely detrimental to the members' and the staff's enjoyment of the site, and furthermore, is in direct ideological opposition to the site mission: Deny ignorance. Deliberate hoaxers are warned, and in serious cases banned outright. The recent spate of hoaxes is a source of frustration for the staff and members who care about this place. To suggest that the staff would hoax just to "keep things exciting" is preposterous, and shows a feeble understanding of what ATS is all about.

BTW, there's no such thing as a "slow news day" in conspiracy theory. e.g. Forty years of slow news days later and the JFK assassination is still unsolved. The only thing that staff do to keep the flame going is to encourage and reward quality and honest contributions from the membership, and it is those contributions that keep ATS buzzing, make it a great place to be, and draw in even more quality members. Hoaxes...have the exact and marked opposite effect.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   

As has been mentioned, the only time a staff-initiated prank occurs is on April Fool's Day (which was cancelled this year due to pre-existing board drama) and on Halloween

I know I'm just a lowly member but I didn't get that memo. I think I posted in like five different threads on April 1st accusing them (very politely) of being a part of some organized april fools day prank. Thanks a lot Simon, no wonder nobody takes me seriously

Though it could be the power puff girls t-shirt.

I take it we have serpo to thank for no april fools day prank this year?

Spiderj

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Thanks guys.

It was more a response to some hoax threads I had come across..if I remember.
It was just that the thought had occurred to me that to test how good the "system" was at debunking you may put up some of the lame brained stuff....like a mystery shopper in the retail sector. No offence meant. But really you should not take offence. I think your integrity should be tested and not assumed....assumptions lead us to dodgy world leaders taking us down dodgy paths because we assume they know best.

Surely ATS should also be a target for conspiracy theorists? You cant really sit there in judgement and not be judged? (Mind you who judges the judges??:lol

Another thought. Who or what is a member? Is it the person or their electronic identity?

I mean suppose I am Bert Bloggs and I log in to a forum as Bert Bloggs 2006.
I am a naughty boy and get banned. I then register again as Bernie Bloggs 2007 with a different email.

Here the implication is that I could have multiple identities. Now suppose Bernie Bloggs 2007 becomes a moderator (just suppose) and has another membership as Mr A.Troll whose online persona is a prat. What can be done to stop this practice from occurring in reality?

Man your boards are great....you have even got me thinking conspiracies

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Trolls Need Not Apply

Originally posted by SimonGray
The idea of bored moderators trying to make fools of the membership is rediculous.

I can attest that this is not tolerated on ATS.

The Amigos would not allow this sort of gross violation of the T&C. Such behavior would be a serious breach of trust and cause for disciplinary action.

Moderators are not exempt from the T&C. We must honor them like every other member.

Moderators who indulge in hoaxes or other forms of abuse of the membership may be de-modded or banned.

It has happened before, though I pray it doesn't have to happen again. :shk:

new topics

top topics

join