It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Class VP arrested after coming late to graduation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

The ceremony was at 6, therefore she was 5 minutes early.

No, she was an hour late.

I spent most of my time stepping out to take swigs of liquor and smoking cigarettes!

Why don't I find this hard to believe?

Come on, JsoBecky! I am used to at least having a more sensical debate than this with you. Can you just not defend to the hilt for a second, and think on the other side?

Yes, I can look at both sides. And I wonder what message you are sending to her when you defend her so staunchly, yet fail to tell her where she went wrong. You're not doing her any favors by kissing her butt.

You're just setting her up for failure later in life.

And, the proper spelling is jsobecky, btw. Maybe a few less swigs, and you would've learned stuff like that???

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

She was not an hour late. There was a 55 minute time frame when everyone was suppose to show up.

By saying she was an hour late, then according to you everyone who arrived at 5:30, 5:45, 5:50, and say even 5:54 was late also even though they arrived in the time fram allocated by the school, and only those who arrived at 5 or earlier were on time.

It is like telling everyone to arrive between 4:30 and 5:00 to catch a bus to go on a feild trip. Then you tell everyone who arrives after 4:30 sorry, because you didn't arrive by 4:30 your late, so you can't go.

Technically and in reality no one is late until that bus leaves. That bus could leave exactly at 5:00. More than likely people will have started to board the bus at the last minute, and the bus will have to wait until everyone has boarded. So someone arriving 2 late could still board the bus, since it is still there letting the passangers on. Bus drivers are known to wait for the straggler they see running to catch the bus, or when they are asked to wait a few more minutes because so and so will be here and they are late because and give an excuse. That doesn't mean the driver will wait an half hour, but they may wait another 5 minutes or so though.

If you were throwing a barbq asking everyone to arrive between 3 and 4, you wold not be turning away everyone who came at 3:01 saying they are late. I'm sure you still wouldn't turn away your buddy who came even a half hour late due to work, because they didn't arrive by 4.

Even in a job situation if the employer said arrive to the meeting between 4:30 and 5:00 would not consider you late at 4:31. If you arrived two minutes late with a good excuse, then most will not say anything especially if you already have a good track record with the company and were known to be on time.

The student was there at 5:57 inseasd of 5:55, and the door wasen't even closed. The teacher shut it in her face when she tried to enter in. Why wasen't the door closed already if they were going to be that strict? Also, how do we know if the teacher's watch wasen't two minutes behind? Or how do we know if the watches the mother and daughter had said 5:55, eventhough the school clocks may have said 5:57. If this was the case, the mother and daughter would have originally thought they were on time. It is not clearly stated if they thought they were on time, or it the teacher just said according to her watch they were two minutes late. Who's clock or watch was off?

Besides that is only two minutes, and the teacher could have easily let her slip in without causing any problems as the students were just starting to line up. That is just like running up to a bus a little late and getting behind those who are already boarding. Ya ain't late until that bus leaves. I have never known a bus driver to shut a door in anyone's face when that driver knew there was a person there or close who was trying their best to bord the bus before the doors shut.

I can just picture those two women trying to run in heels as best they can without tripping or catching any hems in their heals. Arriving at that door huffing and puffing as they arrive at the door. Then only to have it slammed in their face by the rudest - the mothers terms - teacher she ever met. I only know the last sentence to be 100% factual as printed in the paper. The papers don't print all the little details, so I had to do some speculating.

If the teacher saw them walking up slowly to the door, then she may have had some reason to do what she did. It really sounded like they were doing their best to get there as fast as they could.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Your sense of scale is ridiculous!

I think your assessments will change when you have to move out of your mother's basement and face life for what it is.

Is that the best you can do?

Me thinks thou dost protest too much...

You have no idea who you're talking to...
(We'll just keep that as my own little private joke.
)

[edit on 18-6-2006 by loam]

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Your sense of scale is ridiculous!

I think your assessments will change when you have to move out of your mother's basement and face life for what it is.

I agree with loam. How the heck can you compair being constantly an hour late going to work to being two minutes late to a graduation? Your sense of scale is way off.

Is that the best you can do? by loam

Loam, I think that is the best he can do.
Here I thought he would have posted already debating me on the time issue. Hmmmmm, maybe I have him cornered there.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mystery_Lady

She was not an hour late. There was a 55 minute time frame when everyone was suppose to show up.

No, there was not. Graduates were supposed to be there at 5PM.

By saying she was an hour late, then according to you everyone who arrived at 5:30, 5:45, 5:50, and say even 5:54 was late also even though they arrived in the time fram allocated by the school, and only those who arrived at 5 or earlier were on time.

That timeframe was not allocated by the school. Graduates were to be there by 5PM.

It is like telling everyone to arrive between 4:30 and 5:00 to catch a bus to go on a feild trip. Then you tell everyone who arrives after 4:30 sorry, because you didn't arrive by 4:30 your late, so you can't go.

Show up at 5:55PM for an airline flight that has a takeoff time of 5PM. Sorry, you missed your flight.

Technically and in reality no one is late until that bus leaves.

See the above response.

If you were throwing a barbq asking everyone to arrive between 3 and 4, you wold not be turning away everyone who came at 3:01 saying they are late. I'm sure you still wouldn't turn away your buddy who came even a half hour late due to work, because they didn't arrive by 4.

This isn't a BBQ. BBQ's are informal. This was one of her defining moments of her young life. She did not take it seriously.

Even in a job situation if the employer said arrive to the meeting between 4:30 and 5:00 would not consider you late at 4:31.

Except that you keep ignoring the fact that graduates were supposed to be there by 5PM. Not between 5PM and 6PM.

I can just picture those two women trying to run in heels as best they can without tripping or catching any hems in their heals. Arriving at that door huffing and puffing as they arrive at the door.

And I can just picture them yakking on their cellphones, playing with their hair, and not concerned with what time it was.

A life's lesson sorely learned.

Here I thought he would have posted already debating me on the time issue. Hmmmmm, maybe I have him cornered there.

No, it's more like I don't hang on every word you post. I have probably made at least a dozen posts in other threads since I last visited this one.

Patience, my dear. I'll get to you, in due time.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Just curious, Mystery_Lady... who is "wo"?

Nothing personal, believe me. I was just curious.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Ok so it said arrive at 5, but they gave an alternate deadline time. It is the same thing as saying you can arrive anytime between 5 and 5:55. I still say they were not an hour late.

They still were not an hour late, because they gave 5:55 as to when the door would close. According the the article I posted to give more information, the teacher closed the door in their face. It still sounds like the door was still open at 5:57.

Ok a bbq is not as formal. Your airline is not a good compairson. The airline would never have said the doors would be closed 55 minutes later than the departure time.

Lets look at this at a job point of view. The boss says arrive at 5, and we will close the door at 5:55 and start the meeting at 6:00. If an employee arrives at 5:45, do you think the boss has the right to fire that person for arriving an hour late? Actually that might make a good debate. In the job world, people do arrive a couple of minutes late without reprecussions unless they are constantly late over a long period of time.

The facts stand that the school gave the parents and students until 5:55 to arrive without being considered late. They were only two minutes late, and could have slipped in since they were only lining up. This is only another product and outrage of the zero tolerance policy the schools have taken on.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mystery_Lady
The facts stand that the school gave the parents and students until 5:55 to arrive without being considered late. They were only two minutes late, and could have slipped in since they were only lining up. This is only another product and outrage of the zero tolerance policy the schools have taken on.

The fact that you keep repeating this does not make it true. From the base article:

It all started when Cosey arrived at the high school in Calumet City two minutes before doors were scheduled to be locked. Invitations had clearly stated no one would be allowed in to the 6 p.m. ceremony after 5:55 p.m., and students had been instructed to arrive at 5 p.m.

The 5:55 time was set for family, friends, and photographers, etc., not students.

If a student had arrived at 5:10, 5:20, OK, give them a break. Not an hour late.

And she acted like a child with her loud outbursts, too. As if throwing a temper tantrum should allow her to have her way.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   

It all started when Cosey arrived at the high school in Calumet City two minutes before doors were scheduled to be locked. Invitations had clearly stated no one would be allowed in to the 6 p.m. ceremony after 5:55 p.m., and students had been instructed to arrive at 5 p.m.

The 5:55 time was set for family, friends, and photographers, etc., not students.

If a student had arrived at 5:10, 5:20, OK, give them a break. Not an hour late.

And she acted like a child with her loud outbursts, too. As if throwing a temper tantrum should allow her to have her way.

No where did it state that the 5:55 time was set for family, friends, and photographers only. It states no one, which includes students. She was not an hour late. No, she was acting frustrated, which any normal person would be, after having a door slamed in your face by a rude person when you know you can get in before it starts.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I can understand her frustration. I can also agree that the school over-reacted.

I just hope she and others learned a lesson, that's all.

[edit on 22-6-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   

I can understand her frustration. I can also agree that the school over-reacted.

Hey, we can finally agree on something.

[edit on 25-6-2006 by Mystery_Lady]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join