It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pilots poisoned by contaminated air

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Pilots poisoned by contaminated air

Airline pilots have been rendered incapable of flying their planes safely by polluted air pumped into their aircraft, a shocking report reveals.

The report, compiled for an official investigation into the danger, says pilots suffer "alarming cognitive failures" - including being unable to remember vital instructions from air traffic control or if they had put down the wheels before landing - risking "substantial loss of life".

Last year, the Government admits, there were 10 "air-contamination incidents" on British Aerospace BAe 146 aircraft alone, leading transport ministers to ask the official Committee on Toxicity to investigate.

More...

This is a shocking article!

For example, it continues:

Most planes take in air for passengers and crew through their jet engines and pump it unfiltered into the cabin. Campaigners and pilot's representatives have long warned that it picks up chemicals en route, which endanger passengers and crew...

"Some of the pilots we examined reported alarming cognitive failures following exposure to contaminated air such as: being unable to retain, or confusing, numerical data and information provided by air traffic control regarding heading, altitude, speed; completing tasks in the incorrect sequence; setting the wrong cleared level for the aircraft to climb or descend; being unable to recall important matters such as whether the undercarriage has been raised or lowered."

I had no idea.... It also explains why I typically feel so awful after extended travel periods by plane.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   
The engine bleed air does not normally get contaminated. It is only when faults occur in the system that bad things happen.

And that's what maintenance is for. What's disappointing is that it was allowed to get to the stage where pilots were unable to fly the aircraft. But then again, that's what autopilot is for . . .

edit: why should I tell you what I did?

[edit on 5/6/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Not surprising at all. I've experienced this firsthand, and let me tell you it sucks.

I was in a plane sitting on a taxiway awaiting takeoff. My plane was directly behind an MD-11 that was pumping out all sorts of noxious jet fuel exhaust. Matter of fact, it was so bad that you could actually see the exhaust filling the cabin. The pilot came over the intercom, apologized for the inconvenience, explained the situation, and said that he would do his best to put some space between the MD-11 and us. About five minutes later, we were still sitting on the taxiway, but the smoke had cleared the cabin. Needless to say, I had a headache and felt nauseated for the entire flight.

Eeek! I never considered that the pilots may have been feeling as bad as I did!

Is it possible that they donned their oxygen masks?

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Sorry, wrong post,
thanks loam

[edit on 16-6-2006 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   

LazarusTheLong, I think you meant to post in this thread:

Ambulance being sent out for several sick passengers on an incoming continental flight!

top topics

join