It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Storytelling is dead.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Wondering if anyone else seems to notice that nearly all games to come out in the past five or so years, have been extremely shallow in story telling. Most recent games seem to rely on other things to get players in, such as flashy graphics, or claims of great AI. Seems that all of the game studios around now, dont care about story, and only work towards something that is pretty enough to market. Such as Oblivion, which had an extremely shallow story, and was all about the graphics, as the AI it claimed to have, was horrible. Although there is Knights of the Old Republic, it was also rather shallow with backstories, etc. It seemed to only follow the story of your progressing through the linear one line story. Wondering if anyone else is noticing it?

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Yes this is true the only games i would give credit to now a days are metal gear sold 1,2 and 3 honestly the best story line(s) ever and final fantisy although i dont like teh game itself the storyline is deep other than them all games today are about shock value ,graphics or have a movie licence attached to them

EDIT:spelling

[edit on 4-6-2006 by Marto_Bagg]

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Games have become a viable money generating industry now, so there's a marketing squad behind everything that comes out. 10-20 years ago, it was still a good living, but it was a more "art for art's sake" kind of thing. Just like everything else: once someone realizes you can make a buck at it, they get more worried about making the buck than making the product.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Sadly, Final Fantasy has been becoming more and more shallow. Its rather insulting they put it out as an MMO, if FF12 is junk, then the series is dead to me, and I will more than likely, just ignore it. Metal Gear Solids were fun games, and they did have a good story, one of the few I forgot when I thought it to my self. Yeah, money is ruining the world for me, people care about it, more than art now it seems.

new topics

top topics

join