It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

too much junk...it's time to grow up.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
There is so much crap being circulated on this website lately. What's the deal?

Random people claim to have all of these powers and "smoking guns* but after a page of questions and debunking, they disapear or don't bother backing themselves up.

When I first found this site It was interesting and seemed to have alot of quality information.

But it seems that in the year or 2 I have been on this site *I forget exactly how long* this section of the site has slowly gone down hill.

there have only been a few decent posts in the last few months that have actually held some weight.

I think people need to start taking more responsibility of their actions and stop making things up in order to get some attention.

If the members on this site don't grow up a little bit, we might run into some of the boy who cried wolf.

[edit on 4-6-2006 by enthuziazm]

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I totally agree- When I first found this site about six months ago I really enjoyed reading about stuff I had never seen before- like projectprove.com, secret NASA tapes, Gazrok's posts, etc. Now all you get is stuff about Reptilians, how you get membership into the MIB, and obvious fake pictures and posters. Let's please turn this around before this site turns into a New Age Scientology spinoff.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   
three letters + N S A +

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bruise
Let's please turn this around before this site turns into a New Age Scientology spinoff.

exactlly. the posts need to start being quality discussion, all of these other things just slow the progression down.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Well at last someone I can agree with. Lately it seems the quality of posts here has taken on a Weekly World News kinda slant. Which btw the May 29 issue has a cover headlined- Rednecks Shoot Down Saucer. And no I'm not one of them.
But I fail to see why there couldn't be a discussion of, say, Bruce Maccabees analysis of the Trent/McMinnville photos. After all he is quite qualified and he looked at the original negatives.
It is truely a sad day for UFOlogy.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
You know what??

I am sad to agree.. after being a lurker on this site for 5 years before i decided to contribute i have noticed multiple trends..

People seem to have an educational lapse on spelling etc

Now before you guys shoot me down,I am not talking about grammar with the guys whose English is not their primary language..

After all I only speak one language..Who am I to say??

Also not the guys who speak in ''netspeak''who i can understand fully..

also i am not talking about the guys who like, me type really fast and press the post button before reviewing your grammar..whoops.. 1 or 2 times

It,s the consistantly unintelligible posters who almost bring me to the point now of not even reading this superior forum.

Now before the mods get involved and post a reply that we should deny ignorance and accept spelling errors as the norm.. I would like to point out that an increasing number of ''new recruits'' are posting the most ridiculous,unbelievable pile of poo poo that i have ever seen on five years of reading ATS..

Abductees and Intergalactic presidential meetings??.Piles of ordnance in their backyard??.Drinking unknown,unlabelled substances??..

Now don,t get me wrong.. I am very very open minded. but I mean.. c,mon..???

One guy even posted the most ridiculously photoshopped,visually inaccurate UFO I have ever seen in my life

I am not blaming the mods by any realms.. BUT maybe there should be another channel by which we can report this pile of doo doo to the powers that be as soon as possible so that other members should not have so suffer through these obviously fake threads..

My two pee worth

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Hang in there.

Don't worry.

Look at your life and these forums.

There is stuff happening everyday.

Enjoy, be happy, make your life and these forums as you want.

Have a nice happy lovely wonderful day.

WATER CRYSTALS ...........

www.whatthebleep.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
An effective method to suppress inconvenient truths is to surround them in an ecosystem of low quality, sensational and dismissable stories. I'm sure some of that is going on here at ATS. For some reason, topics like UFO's, aliens and political conspiracies draw a disproportianate amount of bad thinkers and sensationalists. The phenomenon is so consistent as to seem deliberate.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Yeah I used to read this website alot also before I began to post months back. I don't even care if people do not take the time to proof read and correct spelling that's irregardless, and a waste of time to be a grammar nazi.

The problem I have likewise are people posting crap seeing if anyone is naive enough to beleive them with absolutly no questions asked and no reassurances that what they say is fact. Skepticism is healthy for people to have in regards to stories like these. One common trait they all share is that they regard us as being less intellegent then they are. People will say this thread is for people with a higher state of mental awareness or intellegence etc. It is almost like they wish us away but I don't give up that easy never have in regards to anything.

"An effective method to suppress inconvenient truths is to surround them in an ecosystem of low quality, sensational and dismissable stories. I'm sure some of that is going on here at ATS. For some reason, topics like UFO's, aliens and political conspiracies draw a disproportianate amount of bad thinkers and sensationalists."

Nah I think people are just being retards... I do not think there is any organized disruption of this website. Look at how many sensationalists and crazies like scientologists and other fringe religeos groups are out there. People are just looking to fill that empty void in their lives some accept Jesus/God for example but some also accept aliens etc.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Agreed. But how to stop people that are brand new from posting.
I think ip address ban should be imposed on people posting false
data/pictures ect.....

[edit on 4-6-2006 by imbalanced]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   
No offense to those whom may believe in UFO's and the like but many out there find such things rather funny, and take it upon them selves to ridicule your believes. What easier way to do this then find or make a cheesy photo and post it on a site like this. I don't think it's a concerted effort to undermine your position but just pranks to laugh at you. Either way I would like to see a lot less of it. Its not right to rip up someone else's believes just because you think their a little wacky, for everyone think something that someone else would laugh at.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 12:05 AM
link   
"Doctor, you are the problem."

Please explain..... Just another baseless claim

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   
If people dont present there " proof " for their claim in their first post, I just ignore it, I have grown tired of the idiocy people present, with ignorant claims of things which they have no proof for. I also find it sad when these posts get 5+ pages of responses , in which there is never a presented proof, and people just follow with it. Now, I can understand discussing ideas, or conspiracies which there cant be proof for, however, when people start claiming, they are an alien, or they have proof, and they never present it, that is something completely different.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Or perhaps the guy how claimed that he could call up UFOs on demand, could he prove it, of course not.
There is even one guy on here that claims he IS an alien. Can he back this up? No.
And this is just what I can come up with after doing no research on here. Am I saying that all these people are doing this to discredit your cause? No, that would be just conjecture on my part. But I can by looking at the preponderance of evidence that there is some, whom wish to ridicule and poke fun.
And don't tell me it's baseless. I remember when I signed up to this site there was a thread showing me what not to do. In the thread I person claimed that they were in Germany being chased by some USAF “super soldiers” that wanted to kill him for whatever reason. Mind you his IP address showed that he was writing from some city in the States. So I can assume that this kind of tomfoolery has happened so much that the staff felt it was necessary to put a warning not to do it.
The complaint made in this thread was that it is time to grow up. Then the author went on to list some areas that he had problems with ATS. I thought about it and to the best of my abilities, using logic gave my opinion.

PS The Doctor why would you say that you are the problem? I never listed you as being a problem.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Whilst I've gotten a kick out of some of the threads and how silly the posts can get, I have sort of gravitated away from this section of the forum. I am still interested in aliens, abduction theories, UFOs and the possibility of conspiracies and conjecture - but I mean really, if the posters aren't able to provide some proof of these riduculous claims...

I realize proof is what is ultimately lacking in this forum category and in fact the whole UFO phenom, but really, these kiddos come on here counting on the fact that proof isn't available and hoping that they can have a chuckle at teh very least.

I still read the posts but pretty much it's all *crap*.

I have to avoid the silly theads on accounta me not being able to control my smart-ass-ed-ness...too tempting to abuse tags or posts

Back to the paranormal LMAO things are a bit better over there.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Hide the truth in a sea of disinformation is a very effective tactic and one I have no doubt the goverment uses. Not only does it make it hard to see the drop of truth in the flood of bunk but it can also look bad on the whole community. Some people will always fall to the worst hoax and those people tend to make us all look like crackpots. They also have help of a bunch of hoaxers that unknowningly help them for their own reasons. Most of the time your average hoax is debunked easily under close scrutiny thankfully.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Before everyone gives up on the forum here , you should note that the UFO phenomena is alive and well and well documented all over the planet , so before you let a few children on-line with strong imaginations and free time run you off the forum you should take the overwhelming evidence over the last 60 + years into consideration.

There is a TRUE and REAL conspiracy here that has everything to do with UFO's and absolutely nothing to do with children playing games on-line. It really is up to the adults to understand the difference and expose childish pranks so we can solve the TRUE mystery of the UFO phenomena.

Another piece of advise I could give is simply "don't feed trolls". That's really not to much to ask. And make sure and reply and encourage posts and threads that you think are good. You also have WATS awards every month that you can award good posters with. ( Has anyone given a WATS award on Aliens and UFO's forum this month or last? )

So again there are things you can do as Individual Members to help out on the Forum. And children will be children , but we shouldn't allow that to keep us away from discussing a REAL MYSTERY. ( the UFO Phenomena !)

So its just silly IMO to let kids with their imaginary friends ,"Aliens" , run inquisitive adults away from discussing a True Worldwide Phenomena that remains the BIGGEST MYSTERY of all TIME.

That's just my take , I think "Members" should help out by stepping up.

[edit on 5-6-2006 by lost_shaman]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I have now-
You have voted lost_shaman for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

I agree with you completely. If the post is that preposterous, at the very least, don't participate in it. If you really feel that strongly about it, u2u a mod for the forum (mods for each forum listed at the top of every page) with a link to the post, or send it to the "Suggestion" box at the top of the page.

Good post, ls

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
"That's just my take , I think "Members" should help out by stepping up. "

I completely 100% agree with that.

It's time for the serious members on this site to really show what they are made of, and focus their energies on topics they feel strongly about.

I think discrediting and ripping into the *crappy* posts is something we need to rise above.

It's just feeding the problem if we give these members as much attention as we have been.

Just imagine is every post claiming something with no proof, no credibility, even if it's 500 words long, was not replied to, and didn't accumulate like 5 pages of "GIVE US PROOF' and "YOU SUCK!"
It wouldn't encourage people to make a sensationalist claim so they can rack up ats points.

It's definetly time for change, a sort of 'Aliens & UFOs' revolution

But remember, if you feel strongly about something, even something radical, make sure you voice your opinion, but let's stop the flame wars and *crap*.

Deny Ignorance....always.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by enthuziazm
It's definetly time for change, a sort of 'Aliens & UFOs' revolution

Great, who do we ban first?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join