It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Diplomat Killed, 4 Abducted in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   

One Russian diplomat was killed and four diplomatic employees were abducted in the Iraqi capital on Saturday, the Associated Press reported quoting a Russian Embassy official in Baghdad.

“Yes, I can confirm this. One diplomat killed, four employees kidnapped. That’s all I can say. No commentary,” the official, contacted by telephone from Moscow, told The Associated Press. He refused to give his name or provide any further details.

Police in Baghdad said witnesses at the scene told them that gunmen opened fire on a car that belonged to the Russians in west Baghdad’s upscale Mansour district.

Interior Ministry Lt. Col. Falah al-Mohamedawi said one person was killed in the incident.

Source

Baghdad is a dangerous place to be even for the natives, but I have to wonder if America is not behind this in some way.

A provocation against Putins recent strong words?

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   
you know as much as I hate to admit it, thats what I thought too...

the CIA could have pulled this off, in an attempt

1. that russians are being targetted as well.

2. as you said, simply retailiation.

I have a feeling the CIA works very closely with the bush administration.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Retaliation for Putin's strong words? Come on, doesn't even Bush & the CIA have better things to worry about.

I have to call this one a major stretch.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Maybe you can explain the attacks on Arab nations' diplomats as well. Of course its mostly the kidnappings they want where they post on videos demanding the nations that still have diplomats here to pull out of Iraq as well as to not recognize the new govt. in power.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
Retaliation for Putin's strong words? Come on, doesn't even Bush & the CIA have better things to worry about.

I have to call this one a major stretch.

His words, and the actions backing them up. Like pricing their oil and Gas in Euro instead of dollars. And the open opposition to American hostility towards Iran.

Or maybe they had information we didn't want people to see.....

CX

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Breaking news, Russian commando's have stormed the hideout and rescused all the hostages.

www.sky.com...

CX.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Malichai
Baghdad is a dangerous place to be even for the natives, but I have to wonder if America is not behind this in some way.

Why wonder if the US is involved? Nothing written any where (except here) has mentioned any US involvement, nor cast any aspersions to the fact.

Good to see that Russia managed to get the hostages released too.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 04:01 AM
link   
CX, that's interesting.

All the other news sources are claiming either Iraqi Commandos conducted the raid, or that there was no raid/release at all.

WSJ

Four Russian Embassy employees were released hours after being seized by gunmen in an attack in western Baghdad that left one of their colleagues dead, the Iraqi Interior Ministry said Sunday.

SPI

An Interior Ministry spokesman on Sunday denied a report that four Russian hostages had been released the night before in a raid by Iraqi commandos.

BBC

An interior ministry official had said they were freed by Iraqi commandos in a raid on the attackers' hideout on Saturday night.

WP

On Saturday, police sources said they had been rescued by special forces. But a police official dismissed that report on Sunday.

I think it's entirely possible that the Iraqi Interior Ministry has its head up its rear, and that, in fact, the Russians took care of business.

If that's the case, I'm very, very glad. They have the right and the duty to free any hostages, no matter their involvement in other Iraqi matters. I'm sure the news will say that Iraqi commandos conducted the raid, to help Russia avoid explaining their actions, and to help build credibility for a commando force better known for its terorrism than its counter-terrorism (I'm speaking of course of the Iraqis).

Apparently Sky News didn't get the memo that the fix was in.

Really though, I don't know what's going on, there are too many contradictory reports circulating right now. None of the officials or the media people can seem to get their story straight. In all fairness to them, it must be very hard to ascertain the facts of any situation in a war zone.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 05:29 AM
link   
This is interesting.

Sorry, but if the Russians got their guys out I think it makes the US look pretty bad, since this would be the first case I can think of where someone found their hostages and retrieved them, let alone in 24 hours.

It will be interesting to see how this story holds, as Sky News seems to be sticking with their story even on update.

new topics

top topics

join