It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happened to the RAH-66?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The RAH-66 Comanche was a prototype helicopter developed by Boeing -Sikorsky and it was capable of some really cool things. I know that project was cancelled due to cost reasons and other factors, but does anyone know what happened to the prototypes and such?

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
It got cancelled by Rummy. Am employee of Boeing that is a member (sorry can't remember his nickname) told in a thread, that the helicopter was too heavy and too expensive and that all its advancements were put into current chippers making it pointless.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Bah, another sexy aircraft killed off cuz other people wanted other things.

First the Avro Arrow, now the RAH-66. Next thing you know the Russians will start making ugly aircraft...

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Ultimately the role of scout is better fullfilled by unmanned systems. Scout helicopters as a specialized air frame are making a comeback in countries like Russia and Iran, but the US Kiowa is, IMO, a bit naff.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
It was a great chopper and a pity the project got cancelled... A great chopper and wasn't it the first chopper with stealth... anyways... here's about the history... right corner for more info... enjoy...

-link-

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I thought it was the first attempt at a stealthy helicopter FIN, which was the first if not the Commanche?

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
"And wasn't it the first stealthy chopper...?? doesn't that mean it was the first...

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Oops, sorry FIN, I'll give my glasses a wipe, I thought you said 'it wasn't' and I thought you'd seen a helo I've missed.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Planeman
...but the US Kiowa is, IMO, a bit naff.

Can you expand on that a bit, Planeman? And just so I don't get flagged for a one-liner, the weather is fantastic here today and its a scorching 88 Degrees out.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
wasn't it the first chopper with stealth

I think it was the first helicopter prototype to roll out with stealth as a main component in the design...the back rotor design was downright sexy... Anyone have the stats on what its armament was supposed to be?

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   

The Comanche can go to war with up to 14 "Fire and Forget" Hellfire anti-tank missiles, which, once fired, are programmed to control their own flight to their targets. The helicopter can also deploy up to 56 rockets (70mm), or 28 Stinger air-to-air missiles, to attack fixed and rotary-wing targets.

Alternatively, it can carry two 430-gallon ferry tanks to self-deploy over 1,260 nm, or crashworthy 230-gallon tanks for more than four hours of combat endurance.

Adding to its already immense firepower, the Comanche also stows a three-barreled, 20 mm turreted nose mini-gun that can shoot 1500 rounds per minute.

To maintain its low "stealth" profile, the Comanche features a fully retractable missile armament system, enabling it to hide missiles and rockets in I-RAMS (Integrated Retractable Munitions Systems) bays.

^^Our own ATS...

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Dark,

Originally posted by Darkpr0

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
wasn't it the first chopper with stealth

I think it was the first helicopter prototype to roll out with stealth as a main component in the design...the back rotor design was downright sexy... Anyone have the stats on what its armament was supposed to be?

The tail rotor design was an almost direct copy of that on the Gazelle Anglo-French chopper.

Cheers

S

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Ah the Comanche
I know more then a few people that got laid-off after that project was canceled. That was going to be a huge contract for Sikorsky's.

Besides being the first real attempt at a Stealth helicopter it was amazingly quick and maneuverable. It had somthing like 800 HP in the tail rotor alone, so it could turn around very quick.

It also had a very innovative rotor design which (inpart inspired be owl wings) which only radiates one-half the rotor noise of current helicopters. On top of that it had a quiet mode that the pilot could switch too that would drop down the RPM rate of the blades making it even more quiet.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Yeah, scrapped!

haha, Russians make good looking helicopters, there's a new one. The only good looking helicopter that I would even consider is the Ka-50, and that's stretching it! Not to say of course they aren't good helicopters.

Yeah, said to see the RAH-66 go, but as it went a few years ago, we got over it.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Back to the AH-60, huh?

Did RAH stand for Reconnaissance Attack Helicopter?

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
Back to the AH-60, huh?

Did RAH stand for Reconnaissance Attack Helicopter?

yes...

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Yea, I was a victim of the RAH-66 (Boeing's Military Helicopter Plant in Ridley Park ,PA. 19078) jumped around 2 many times too soon ,and they hit 40% of
my organization,I had 10 months (21 years with them ) I was first guy to go out the door .lol . The reason it was cut was because the money they were starting to spend in Iraq (1st-to 2nd year) and they just could not give in too full production.
At the time I went out on lay-offs ..there was 6 R&D A/C being tested at Sikorsky's
flight test center in West Palm Beach 2003. Boeing (me ) made the Fan tail ,all Graphite Composite,also the Blades,and Sikorsky made the Fuselage. Plans were
to build up-to 3000 A/C for the Army ..weight was a problem in the start,but was pretty much sorted out by 2000..Also the Fan-Tail was a one off .had reversible
blades ,,and was more towards 1000 hp ..all done by fly by light hardware and software.Pilot still had alot of control to set down even with main rotor hub destroyed .

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The Comanche really fits one of my two battle plans.

Scenario A: Insurgent soldier in a stolen tank patrols mid-desert area. Suddenly he feels a large vibration and stops the tank, sensing a problem. He checks the tank's systems, none of which had any visible bad readings. He looks up to scout the area, and sees a huge line of armor heading right towards him. Giving him just enough time to say "Oh, crap...".

Scenario B: Insurgent soldier in a stolen tank patrols mid-desert area. He finally stops the tank to give its systems a moment or so to cool down. He takes a swig of an oily liquor and pops the top for a moment to let in some fresh air. He turns around and sees three helicopters silently floating, missile arms extended. Giving him just enough time to say "Oh, crap...".

I'll leave you to guess which of these the Comanche fits.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by vertol
..Also the Fan-Tail was a one off .had reversible
blades ,,and was more towards 1000 hp ..all done by fly by light hardware and software.Pilot still had alot of control to set down even with main rotor hub destroyed .

I knew it was a insane amount of HP going to the tail

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with that project. I live about 20 minutes away from Sikorsky's Bridgeport plant so I know alot of guys that work there and shared that fate after the program was killed.

[edit on 2-6-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
They made only so many of them, shipped em to spec ops pilots and utilize them in secret. I wouldn't be surprised if they were converted to remote UAV type craft. With the human interface area converted for extra fuel and payload.

Well, that is what I would have done any way.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join