It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America is not ethical enough

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   
As America evolves there needs to be more people who watch other individual's actions and moderate these actions rather than act themselves. What do you think?

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kool Aide Sipper
As America evolves there needs to be more people who watch other individual's actions and moderate these actions rather than act themselves. What do you think?

Why just America? Why not any other country through out the World?

What specific actions should people be looking for? and why?

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Sounds like the younger generation is trying to get out of working for a living by creating a new market for themselves, lol.

Your idea is a little rough around the edges on this issue.

I sit in a cafe all day alongside other laptop immersed perople, and we're always watching over each other in different shifts - heck, even the patrons do this.

People watchers are everywhere.

As far as people who get PAID to perform this service - they better have passed through extensive psychological screening before being given the power to pass judgement on their fellow men and women based solely on looks/actions alone.

I was recently barred from a Starbucks for mentioning the word "bomb". I was also talking to a friend and in the context of a short story I was writing. A young girl working behind the counter has passed by and overheard a part of the conversation and took it upon herself to "report suspicious behavior".

I'm sure she meant well, but in relaying the story to her manager she added a few of her own details and now I was "threatening to blow up the place".

Public surviellence? Not a good idea for the untrained, and definitely not a good idea for hyperactive teenagers with short attention spans.

Also - the thread of your post is "America is not ethical enough". Just kinda curious what you meant by that. Care to add?

[edit on 30-5-2006 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
the 10 commandments, is it better to watch them being broken than to break them?

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Don't forget what Jesus taught us :

"Judge not, lest ye be judged."

If someone is in direct opposition to God's Divine Law, I'm sure the Almighty will take issue with them when He deems it the right time.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:20 AM
link   
so are ethics better than no ethics?

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
Sounds like the younger generation is trying to get out of working for a living by creating a new market for themselves, lol.

Your idea is a little rough around the edges on this issue.

I sit in a cafe all day alongside other laptop immersed perople, and we're always watching over each other in different shifts - heck, even the patrons do this.

People watchers are everywhere.

As far as people who get PAID to perform this service - they better have passed through extensive psychological screening before being given the power to pass judgement on their fellow men and women based solely on looks/actions alone.

I was recently barred from a Starbucks for mentioning the word "bomb". I was also talking to a friend and in the context of a short story I was writing. A young girl working behind the counter has passed by and overheard a part of the conversation and took it upon herself to "report suspicious behavior".

I'm sure she meant well, but in relaying the story to her manager she added a few of her own details and now I was "threatening to blow up the place".

Public surviellence? Not a good idea for the untrained, and definitely not a good idea for hyperactive teenagers with short attention spans.

Also - the thread of your post is "America is not ethical enough". Just kinda curious what you meant by that. Care to add?

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:24 AM
link   
You haven't really clarified what part of the post you are referring to, and I'm afraid I can't read your mind on this.

Could you please elaborate?

Cite a particular example, for instance?

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:29 AM
link   

sorry, Im must have misunderstood something.
People need to learn to watch themselves, there are enough busy bodies as there is already without making it some kind of standard.

I live in HUngary, in the east part, where people are so dang nosy its pathetic.
Instead of looking at themselves, out of fear of their own weakness, they jump all over someone else. (Im american by the way...wife was born in Hungary.)

So...NO.
Clean up your own soup bowl first.

heheh

peace

dalen

you must have wrote this thread just for fun?

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Finally a Christian quoting from the master...cant agree more with the comment myself.
Most Christians overlook Jesus all together!

peace

dalen

by the way...true change is on a heart level...you can opress, etc. but the choice has to come from that person. Until everyone is chipped and cant think for themself anymore.

People so much want control...they are afraid of what life teaches...everything is temporary, you have control over nothing...one day all passes away...even dictatorship mentalities.

[edit on 30-5-2006 by dAlen]

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:32 AM
link   
would a society with a strict code of ethics and laws be more ethical than one without?

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:40 AM
link   

would a society with a strict code of ethics and laws be more ethical than one without?

Umm, that is a Philosophy 101 question and the answer would be 'yes,' a society with a code of ethics would be more ethical than one without a code of ethics.

Furthermore, that would be like asking if a society with laws is better off than a society without laws.

In both cases, one society has ethics and laws, amounting to ORDER, whereas the one without a code of ethics and laws is CHOATIC.

You would prefer to live in which?

seekerof

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I suppose how those ethics were enforced and how any deviation from them were dealt with would answer that question.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:48 AM
link   
thats good, ive never thought of that.

I suppose how those ethics were enforced and how any deviation from them were dealt with would answer that question.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:49 AM
link   

No offense, but thats a pretty 'a' typical given response from one who advocates nihilism, is it not, GENERAL EYES?

seekerof

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   
At times I'm so middle of the road it astonishes even me.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   
are ethics dynamic or stagnant?

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Ethics, in and of themselves are dynamic.

Mankind itself is in a constant state of flux, but that does not mean every man is subject to the same changes at the same time. Some people find comfort in the ethics of old, others in a new interpretation.

Whereas one may cling to the ethics of old, another might embrace the ethics of a new age.

Neither man is wrong, and neither man is right.

And once again, the nature of the ethics themselves comes into play.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Phew -

Yikes, probably opening a can of worms on this one!

Well, I believe that it is time that people start being accountible for their own actions. As far as policing people for ethical standards - in the work place yes, but in general - yikes. Hopefully we will not allow ourselves to be controlled.

I have a strong opinion on this one as a mother. America, start raising your kids! So many people that choose (or do not choose :@@
to have children leave it up to society to raise them while they care for their own needs. If you are going to have children, show some responsibility as a parent and teach your kids wisely, spend time with them, really put in the effort - please. I know so many parents that have the kids, then leave them while they carry on with their own lives - just kinda throwing them out there for society to shape.

We need to teach our kids our true history, some kind of ethical standards, make sure they have a good education, etc. etc. Unfortunately there are too many kids raising and teaching themselves and boy what a standard society has.

But as far as a watch crew over ethical standards, we need to be extremely careful (all of us Christian or not) not to allow ourselves to get to the point of being totally controlled in a communistic way - We are already battling this already in many aspects.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   

A moral relativist's favorite passage from the Bible, and one that is taken out of context. Does Jesus teach us not to judge? Not exactly:

1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
(Matthew 7:1-5)

Why do you look at your brother's sin while ignoring your own, Jesus asks. Then He tells us, remove your own sin, then help to remove the sin of your brother.

What Jesus was talking about is all those who judge others in order to glorify themselves. For many, they cast judgment against someone for something they themselves do, often not even seeing it. It was also in regard to the means by which people judge.

These exhortations are pointed against rash, harsh, and uncharitable judgments, the thinking evil, where no evil seems, and speaking of it accordingly.

The Adam Clarke Commentary

Judging others harshly results in harsh judgment upon yourself, but judging others with the intention to help them become better people will result in the same gift being given to you. We all want to be free until we are bound in sin; then, we become comfortable in that bondage and lash out at those who try to free us. This verse, taken out of context, has been used as that justification for hedonism and as a means to lash out at those who point out what they're doing is wrong.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Jungle Jake,

That was a very good reply. I do believe that we need to have ethical guidelines; there is an obvious reason why God has so many warnings against sin and the types of sin - to protect us. I also believe that we need to be extremely careful to encourage people to follow ethical guidelines, but realize we are not enforcers; nor should we be (this is an area that has hurt Christianity tremendously). People want the freedom to make their own decisions and we have all been given that freedom to do so. I believe what is the most important aspect of this is making sure that ethics are recognized, stand up for moral/ethical values and above all teach our generations.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join