It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Celestine Prophecy: Discussion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Not sure if there is a thread about this yet, but here goes:

If you have not read this book, check it out, its pretty interesting, but Im sure many of you veterans of this community have read it.

If you have read this book, what do you think of the possiblities of the ideals it presents and what do you think of its ideas about the disappearance of the majority of the Mayan population in te Peruvian regions?

I apologize if there is already a Topic about this, Im new :p

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I live an practice this Everyday..... you can really see it..

great book an great way to explain a taboo topic to masses that wouldnt normaly read it.

Follows alot with the Live in, Live out ideal..... do as you would to others as you would to thyself.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
So you do believe what it says about the Mayans disappearance?

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I read the book several years ago so I dont remember all the details. It was a good book, and there were a few interesting concepts. For example I find syncronicity interesting. But it seems that several concepts were cobbled together, perhaps to make money, perhaps to start a new religion, I don't know, but it was not life changing for me.

I have read a couple of his other books, and I think that the first was the best.

I didn't know there was a movie about it till now.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
i believe that the mayans had something going for them. whether it was ET friends, or inter dimensional travel i dunno, but i know they left us with some information we still havent any clue how they obtained so well... but not the rest of the civilization.

i mean if they knew the long count an earth's cycles, ages an where our cosmic center was an where we are in comparison an still have yer civilization wiped out cuz of bad harvests?

i mean some say they left after their great drought an formed other civilizations.

but i cannot believe some one thing from a book, i can merely harbor the notion of it.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Before the book was even released to the public, a very close spiritual friend of mine commented that the Mayan Civilization had achieived a higher state of awareness, and essentially transcended to another dimensional plane.

I believe it is highly likely that other realms of existence are indeed reserved for those who prove themselves to be worthy.

Best of luck on your thread - I absolutely LOVED the book.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I am a really big fan of this book. Even though for me, I find it to be written more in parable form, I found a lot of deep meaning in it, that helped me with my teenage years growing up. I still own the books (for like the tenth, maybe 15th time, I keep giving copies away). I'm going to add this thread to my favorites, I would like to see where this goes.

Thanks for starting it!

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
there is even a sequel to that book just as good as the celestine prophecy, the tenth insight. gives the book kinda closure.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I just finished watching the movie and thought how wonderful if this insight were possible. I am going to find the book, reading the details is always better for me.

I would recommend the movie for all those who like supernatural events.

This movie makes the Catholic Church out to be the bad guys. Also, you would think that this movie would be banned more then movie Golden Compass.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
This brings back memories.
Unfortunately the memories aren't as sharp as they used to be!

The main thing that I was left with having read the book was how things are connected and how this thread leads to this which enables this to happen which allows for this connection, etc etc.

It wove a wonderful tale of the little players creating a large drama each having their role yet unaware as to the importance on a larger level.

I loved the book but I must admit it seems so old stuff now!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Not to 'slam' the OP -- but the disappearances of the people of (mostly) Guatemala is a brutal example of a "dirty war" w/ a really corrupt government.

For anyone 'interested' in that, check out this months' Harper's Magazine where there's an extensive story about that -- also, the subject of said article is the "Guatemala Documentation Project" where 200,000 people were reported missing or killed by the police, mass graves are still being found. And there's been a lot of good work done by researchers to let relatives rest from knowing their 'missing' have been ID'd.

The other half of the OP, eh, maybe somebody can 'sell' me on the book, but I read it about ten years ago and thought of it as new-age 'shanti shanti' drivel -- as in, it seems more interested in creating a 'following' based on vague ideas, then an actually good story... the theme of the book is coincidences as how they 'follow' the main character(s) throughout the story.

I never read any more Redfield, or the follow-ups of said book and I don't really plan on it either, unless, like I said, someone can remind me what they liked about the novel.

Guatemala Documentation Project @ The National Security Archives

[edit on 8-12-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alec
If you have read this book, what do you think of the possiblities of the ideals it presents and what do you think of its ideas about the disappearance of the majority of the Mayan population in te Peruvian regions?

I actually brought this book up in another thread recently, so it's interesting to see it get its own thread here. I'll address a couple of points: First, the Mayans were in Mexico/Central America, not Peru. I don't recall a connection in the book..perhaps there was...but it should be noted that the Mayans didn't disappear. Their descendants still live there today...look at any indigenous Indian, and you see that marvelous profile.

What did change is that the high culture collapsed. Archaeological thought is that the big 'cities' were never urban centres as we know them. They were ceremonial centres that were used for special occasions...the people would attend for the rites and festivals, and return to the outer regions afterwards. Perhaps a ruling/religious elite and it's immediate support system lived there, but certainly not the masses. Same deal as the Mississippean culture in the States. My theory there, is that the people got tired of being called "Stinkards", and simply walked away...melted back into the forests. Could be the same as the Mayans.

As to the metaphysics of the book...well, I always kinda liked it, and if you can put it into practice, you're certainly taking an active role in living your life. Good luck in your journey.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I read the book when it came out, I was in my teens so I guess some time in the mid 90's. At the time I loved it, it really opened my eyes up to the world around me, it inspired me, and left me 'searching' for more. I also read the 10th Insight when it came out, which I liked less. Over all encountering this book was good for me, having seen a copy in the last few years I have to say my standards have risen dramatically so it was not as impressive.

An interesting side note on the book, there is this really great woman here where I live who is clairaudio / clairvoyant / etc... I have been to see here to ask advice which was all really on point and helpful. During the time I spent there we had a lot of conversations about a lot of different things and some how this book came up. She told me to stay away from it, that it was written to "program" readers. She said it all sounds nice and positive but its intended program was bad for humans. I dont know if I believe it but sense I herd it from what I consider to be a pretty right-on human being I am passing it along.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
One of my friends told me about this book and how great it is. It's a novel not a history book. If you look in the front cover, where the publishing info it clearly states that it is fiction. If you have a softcover edition, you don't even have to open it up, it says it is fiction on the spine.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I read the book about 12 years ago when i was 18. I met a girl in a bar one night, went back to her place and she gave it to me. I read it like a month later and loved it. All the names of the people who had the book before were written on the cover so i wrote my name down and i gave it to a girl i stole a night with in Utah.

I don't remember much about the book but i do know that was EXTREMELY significant for me at the time. I started to see things differently after that, and i've made quite a nice little journey out of my life as a result.

I would recommend it to everyone.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I have both books but I haven't read them for years. I can only really remember the first insight which was to pay attention to coincidence. I did that and was amazed how many seemingly unrelated things came together. What was the second and third insight???

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I loved the book as well. I read them in high school and gave me a great perception to build off of. I didn't like the 10th and 11th insight books because i found it much more difficult to practice and relate to.

new topics

top topics

join