It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Past U.S. Policy To Shoot Korean Refugees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
A new document has come to light revealing that the the U.S. Ambassador to Seoul, which informed the U.S. State Department that soldiers would shoot refugees coming up to the lines. The letter was dated the day of No Gun Ri, of which a Pentagon 16-month inquiry concluded was "an unfortunate tragedy" - "not a deliberate killing."

news.yahoo.com
More than a half-century after hostilities ended in Korea, a document from the war's chaotic early days has come to light — a letter from the U.S. ambassador to Seoul, informing the State Department that American soldiers would shoot refugees approaching their lines.

If refugees do appear from north of US lines they will receive warning shots, and if they then persist in advancing they will be shot," wrote Ambassador John J. Muccio, in his message to Assistant Secretary of State Dean Rusk.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So here we have a prime example of a cover done in part by the Pentagon that denied the truth behind an event of killing refugees 50 years back. This is a telling sign for how far our country has come up to this day, when the Pentagon remains quiet on events happening in the current war in Iraq.

I can understand the basis of being afraid of refugee groups containing soldiers, but this is what I thought was a rule that you didn't kill refugees, ie. Non-Combatants.

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org
www.army.mil
www.defenselink.mil

[edit on 5/29/06 by niteboy82]

[edit on 5/29/06 by niteboy82]

[edit on 5-6-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I didn't realize how much this changed up history. When reading even more in depth on Wikipedia and going through the related links, and this was groundbreaking developments just mentioning that this had possibly occured. Then after the Pentagon hearings, and everything put to rest, it just faded out, except I'm sure, for those who directly experienced it.

I am also very impressed with the bravery of some of the Veterans from this time to come forward and say what really happened. That takes serious guts (and serious risks) in my book, and I find the truth that they stood on against the odds to be very important as examples to the rest of us.

Indeed, Cho remembers seeing so many people die during the Korean War that he said the reports of the killings at No Gun Ri did not surprise him. “People were dying everywhere,” he said. “Over 35,000 Americans died too.”

Source:
Asian Week

This was an article featured in 1999 when the suggestion first came up of this occuring before the Pentagon investigation.

I am happy that finally the truth did come out, and those that dealt with this for all these years, while silent, are finally able to release this without fear, now.

join