It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS News Crew attacked in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
News is just developing about three members of a CBS imbedded news crew that were hit by an IED in Baghdad today. Two members were killed and one journalist is seriously injured.

www.cbsnews.com
(CBS/AP) Two members of a CBS News team, veteran cameraman Paul Douglas, 48, and soundman James Brolan, 42, were killed and correspondent Kimberly Dozier, 39, was seriously injured Monday when the Baghdad military unit in which they were embedded was attacked.
:
Here is the official dispatch from CBS News "A CBS News television crew embedded with the 4th Infantry Division of the U.S. Army came under attack today in central Baghdad. The journalists were reporting from outside their humvee and are believed to have been wearing their protective gear. Cameraman Paul Douglas and soundman James Brolan, both London-based, were killed. Douglas, 48, had worked for CBS News in many countries, including Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Rwanda and Bosnia, since the early 1990s. Brolan, 42, was a freelancer who had worked with CBS News in Baghdad and Afghanistan over the past year. He was part of the CBS News team that had received a 2006 Overseas Press Club Award for its reporting on the Pakistan earthquake.

CBS News Correspondent Kimberly Dozier, 39, sustained serious injuries in the attack and underwent surgery at a U.S. military hospital in Baghdad. She is in critical condition, but doctors are cautiously optimistic about her prognosis."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This strikes close to home for many of us. Kimberly Dozier is a well known journalist, and this attack makes it even more difficult to bear.

There have been many journalist casualties in Iraq since the beginning of the conflict. There have even been accusations that some were murdered by coalition troops. But this is not one of those cases.

The new Iraqi gov't still has a long way to go to instill order in that country. This incident can only serve to lengthen our stay there, imo.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
This is tragic for sure, but I guess one can only expect it when the media demands to be right on the front lines. Frankly I wish they would just cover the news from a distance. They sure would be safer off that is for sure.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The thread title is misleading. You should revise it so that it accurately reflects what happened.

They were not specifically targeted. They were part of a group that was attacked. This is not exactly a developing story either. It has been in the press since mid-day.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bibliophile
The thread title is misleading. You should revise it so that it accurately reflects what happened.

They were not specifically targeted. They were part of a group that was attacked. This is not exactly a developing story either. It has been in the press since mid-day.

What title would you suggest? Were they attacked or not?

Not exactly a developing story. So, in other words, you think my lead-in paragraph was misleading?

I posted it yesterday morning, I believe.

Do you have any comments on the incident at all? All I see is a critique of the existence of the post.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Jsobecky,

This isnt old news at all. I'm glad you posted this as an ATSNN news item. Nobody had bothered to, and It is news.

As far as these reporters, i feel badly for them- they should not be out in the front lines doing any reporting. I think that is bad policy.
If the corporate owners want stories from the front lines at these media outlets, they should go themselves.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Editor&Publisher

The deaths of two CBS journalists on Monday means the Iraq conflict is now the deadliest war for reporters in this century.

Since 2003, 71 journalists have been killed in Iraq, more than the 63 killed in Vietnam, 17 killed in Korea -- and now the 69 killed in World War II, according to Freedom Forum.

The Iraq numbers do not include the 26 members of media support staff who have also died, as counted by the Committee to Protect Journalists.

"It is absolutely striking," Ann Cooper, the executive director of the CPJ, said on Monday.

"We talk to veteran war correspondents who have covered everything going back to Vietnam and through Bosnia. Even those who have seen a number of different wars say they have never seen something like this conflict," Cooper told The New York Times.

Well my Congratulations to the Bush Administration!

One more and they will make another Record in History - Most Dead Journalists in a Conflict!

[edit on 30/5/06 by Souljah]

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Well my Congratulations to the Bush Administration!

One more and they will make another Record in History - Most Dead Journalists in a Conflict!

There you go again trying to blame it all on Bush or are you trying to derail yet another topic? Here is a hint Bush did not tell the reporters to go there, they went on their own, at least according to the reports I have read they all volunteered.

Now what I would like to know is why don't you condemn those that planted the IED in the first place?

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
There you go again trying to blame it all on Bush or are you trying to derail yet another topic? Here is a hint Bush did not tell the reporters to go there, they went on their own, at least according to the reports I have read they all volunteered.

If you haven't heard, Reporters go there so we can have Reports and News and Photos.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   

If you haven't heard, Reporters go there so we can have Reports and News and Photos.

Oh you mean like the stories they reported that you dispute are accurate? Interesting you only take the ones from your sources as being accurate yet you dispute all others. :shk:

And again I ask you why you have not condemned those that planted the IEDS in this instance?

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   

And again I ask you why you have not condemned those that planted the IEDS in this instance?

When you have an Ugly Occupation - Expect an Ugly Resistance.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   

When you have an Ugly Occupation - Expect an Ugly Resistance.

Why is it you care about Iraqis, more than say, Chechens? How about the U.N. rape of Congo? Isn't occupation still occupation no matter where it is?

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Yes, it is a sad thing when people lose their lives. Journalist have lost their lives as long as they have been alowed to report from the fron lines. They chose to be there. Unlike many of our service members who although they volunteered for the military, they did not volunteer to go to Iraq.

My heart goes out to all families and friends of all the dead and wounded.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   

you just contradicted your previous statement!

just do us all a favor and discontinue your internet service

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by WithoutEqual
Why is it you care about Iraqis, more than say, Chechens? How about the U.N. rape of Congo? Isn't occupation still occupation no matter where it is?

You want to know about Chechnya?

OP/ED: Chechnya: Russia's Dirty War

You want to know about Africa?

Africa: the Prison Continent

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by WithoutEqual

You want to know about Chechnya?

OP/ED: Chechnya: Russia's Dirty War

You want to know about Africa?

Africa: the Prison Continent

Heheh. Well I guess that is settled. LMAO I just think that is too great!

I think that it is such a shame that this had to happen, though. I also find it sad that these people were out there trying to find a story to report, and this happened.
Here is an update from Yahoo! News.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
just do us all a favor and discontinue your internet service

Did you mean that I "Do YOU a Favour"?

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
Unlike many of our service members who although they volunteered for the military, they did not volunteer to go to Iraq.

My heart goes out to all families and friends of all the dead and wounded.

I didn't volunteer to go to Lebanon in 1983 either. The US military isn't a Cub Scout pack. If you don't know the possible risks of enlisting that is your fault. The military does nothing to hide the possible risks. As a matter of fact the many of the junior enlisted and officers signed up after 9-11. For years the US Military was treated like a social program by the Liberals. "Go into the military, get a job, an education and money for college. Now when the military is called upon to do its job and there is some risk in doing this job, these people were tricked into enlisting? These people volunteered to serve their country, no matter where they are sent. You swear an oath to obey the LAWFUL orders of those above you, right up to the Commander in Chief. You do not get to specify where you are sent, what you are going to do there and the risks that you are willing to take! Last time I checked Congress gave its approval for the invasion of Iraq, they could have just as easily denied the President's request.

I do agree with darkelf on one point. My condolences and sympathies also go out to the soldiers and the families of the dead and wounded.

[edit on 31-5-2006 by JIMC5499]

new topics

top topics

join