It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple threads covering the same subject

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Time and time again, I see comments posted directing members on one thread to the location of another earlier thread covering the same subject accompanied by the advice to do a search in future. Who cares if there is another thread that already covers the subject? Why do some members feel so compelled to point this out? If you get annoyed at multiple threads covering the same subject, then stop whinging about it and don't participate on that thread. If you can't be bothered rehashing the same information already presented in previous threads then don't. No-one is forcing you to do anything.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Its important, because, nobody wants to see the same thing posted over and over again. I get tossed in the trash can, and i dont whine.
This is a huge community and there is no room for repetitious mumbo jumbo.

What's so hard to understand about that?

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
hey mytym

I understand how you feel on the subject but really this is done so that we have somewhere where info can be gathered easier,

kind of like if you where looking for a thread on lets say The recent quake would you really want to have to sift through 10 threads on the same topic just to get to the latest detail,

Also this is done as there may be a topic already in full flow on the topic, It would be almost pointless to start another and the members would prob stay with the one they where putting there info on originally,

I hope this clears the reasons up a little for you,
Be sure to u2u me if you need any help

Asala

[edit on 28-5-2006 by asala]

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
These are good points, but it happens with threads that are no longer current. Often members will tell you to do a search and find a similar thread from months ago. If the author of the repeated thread doesn't get the answer being sought, a search will still be an option. There is no need for other members to post reminders laced with a tone of annoyance, in my opinion.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Also we don't close duplicate threads if the original is over 2 weeks old.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   

laced with a tone of annoyance,

Yes and thats something that i can fully understand and do ask others to think about when telling someone theres a thread on the same matter,being rude does nothing, but a friendly note is always the way to go,

What i can only suggest is that if you think a thread had been unfairly closed,
Please use the suggestion, We are more than happy to look over it and decide as a team what should be done,

We would look over all points and take the action decided,

Or you can always just u2u me or another member of staff

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
If i am involved with a thread or subject, and i see another member starting a thread with the same title etc, then i will direct them towards the thread in question.

What is so wrong about that? It will save them a lot of time in getting answers to their questions.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Just to be clear, I have no issue with moderators closing duplicate threads. This is one of the duties involved with being a moderator and it is necessary to ensure information is concentrated in as fewer locations as possible for ease of attainment. What I do take issue with is members big-noting themselves by continually feeling obligated to point it out to an author who in many cases is both unaware of the duplication and receives no benefit as a result of this unwanted direction.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
As i said before. what is so wrong in pointing out the fact that the story/item has been covered before?

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytym

members big-noting themselves by continually feeling obligated to point it out to an author

Not just the author but also to other members. This could serve as a heads-up to other members so they won't spend time and effort posting in a thread which might be closed anyway. Show them the other thread so they can post there instead.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I would just like to point out, with a touch of irony, that this subject has already been covered.

Why does everyone keep starting threads about the SAME TOPICS!!

[edit on 28-5-2006 by Koka]

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Koka
I would just like to point out, with a touch of irony, that this subject has already been covered.
[edit on 28-5-2006 by Koka]

Sorry, but i have to

Oh the irony

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
please dont be '' put out ''about this

i have presented topics myself that have been shown to be covered

if like many user you love the ''new posts'' button it is quite frustrating that you stumble upon a topic that you know has already been covered

dont dwell on the fact that you may have posted a topic that took you weeks to research..

only revel in the fact that the questions you posed may have only been answered in a duplicate thread,saving you maybe weeks waiting to have your point of view clarified.

my advice.. follow the link to the relevent thread.. if you have a different perspective to the subject then feel free to post in your opening thread. if you find yourself on the same topic as a previous thread.. also feel free to post on theirs.. you may present a point of view that may revive a lagging discussion.

ATS is about presenting information that people may not be aware about.not to have a cool,long running popular thread...

if you want that.statistics are.. post a game in BTS.. i take part myself to relieve stress.

its fun and you can gain some points n post power too

edit.. can i have a P please Bob

[edit on 28-5-2006 by AGENT_T]

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I may be posting this on a duplicate thread, but it is a bit older than some recent ones which only serves the point. I would like to suggest adding an easy to search by tag place even if it's found somewhere on the search screen. I didn't notice it the last time I visited the search page. Actually I didn't find threads by searching for the word duplicate thread using the default search.

I was able to find plenty of duplicate threads by searching for "duplicate threads" and then clicking on the google search. I think the google search seems more effective for the time being. I wouldn't be surprised if there were less duplicate threads if the google search became the default search. Just an idea. I would like a place to click on search by tag within the search screen. I don't see that yet. If someone has the link for the page where you can do that, I wouldn't mind if you posted it here. I lost the bookmark the last time my pc went haywire. My two cents.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Koka

It might be just my pc since I haven't totally fixed some errors after I made the mistake of using an old browser and it wanted me to update to service pack 6 for internet explorer, anyway I didn't see a button to click on Post Reply on the linked thread above. I only saw a button to Start A New Thread.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the pesky microsoft update stuff I haven't got rid of yet. Can't use IE, email, or windows help. Yep, microsoft really updated my pc. I'm just thankful I had Mozilla Firefox or I'd be up a creek without a paddle.

new topics

top topics

join