It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just signed up today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I live in Franklin Park, IL just outside Chicago.

I have a weblog dedicated to art, music, politics, conspiracy theories, anything really.
I found abovetopsecret.com site when someone at my site turned me onto it.

I was recently booted off a political weblog called The Daily Kos because I got into an argument with a "high level" member of the site.

A little explanation lest anyone fear that I will be unproductive here:
The Daily Kos has a "troll rating" fuction that is a good idea, but lately that site has devolved into a Lord of the Flies type situation, with "Trusted Users" ( those who post alot and get a lot of good ratings by posting puppy pics) forming Survivor-like alliances and then putting a "hit" out on people they disagree with.
For the record, I was not a "troll" which is the purpose of troll ratings. A troll is supposed to be someone who does nothing but post inflammatory remarks. 99% of my comments were rational political arguments, the remaining 1% was me getting ticked off at those rating me unfairly for my opinions and finding creative ways to cuss at them (cussing is allowed there)

Anyway, it led to a discussion at my site and a user named Jesus Christ turning me onto this site, so it all worked out I guess.

I really dig abovetopsecret.com Now I am a member here. Very cool.
I love the organized debate section.

[edit on 28-5-2006 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Welcome Brian Nowhere! I think you'll find ATS rather useful. Please enjoy, learn and teach, respect others and please bring us lots of good data and truth. Some days will be better than others; somedays you'll be the "windshield" and others, the "bug".

Be patient and I'll watch for your posts. The site organizers and mods are very helpful and very reasonable, but know this, read the T&C and know what it means as "flying Hammers" are best to be avoided. This is a wonderful community with a fanatastic commonwealth of resources! Enjoy, your gonna love it!

Victor K.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS, Brian!

I hope that you enjoy your stay here.

------------------------------------------

Don't forget to have fun while you're here.
Check out some of these forums on BelowTopSecret

General Chit Chat

Chit Chat Subjects

Travel
Jokes, Puns & Pranks
Folk Tales & Urban Legends
Food & Cooking
Relationships
People
Faith, Spirituality, & Theology
Health & Wellness
Rant
Members
Dreams & Personal Predictions

Arts & Entertainment

General Entertainment Discussion
Video Games
Television
Movies
Music
Comics
Fantasy & Science Fiction
Literature
Member Art

Computers & Internet

Computer Help
Website Design
Interesting Websites

Mechanic 32.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Voted Off The Island

Originally posted by Brian Nowhere
The Daily Kos has a "troll rating" fuction that is a good idea, but lately that site has devolved into a Lord of the Flies type situation, with "Trusted Users" ( those who post alot and get a lot of good ratings by posting puppy pics) forming Survivor-like alliances and then putting a "hit" out on people they disagree with.

My understanding is that this is the reason we don't have such a system on ATS. They invariably devolve into precisely what you're describing: net.tribalism and a "conform or die" mentality.

These things are antithetical to Denying Ignorance.

Some of our most respected and prolific members are also our most highly controversial. We have members all over the world with very different viewpoints, and it is impossible to be a member of ATS for any period of time without encountering opposing opinions on pretty much every topic.

All opinions are welcome on ATS as long as they are expressed in accordance with the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use.

There is no litmus test for ideology here -- other than honoring the T&C and respecting fellow ATSers.

It is also possible (and common) to engage in spirited debates with staff members on all sorts of topics and not be banned for it. For example, I disagree with many members about many things that we discuss in the forums, but I wouldn't for so much as a moment consider taking any sort of moderator action against them just because we disagree -- even on "touchy" topics.

If I did, the administrators would be very, very unhappy with me, and I would be subject to being de-modded (a painful surgical process) and possibly banned, if my offense was serious enough. All staff actions are reviewed by the "staff tribe" and if any of us disagree with them, we are encouraged to say so.

It's not a perfect system, but it's the best I've seen yet, and if you ever have any questions or concerns about ATS, ATS policy or the behavior of the staff, please don't hesitate to let us know.

top topics

join