It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End To 'War On Terror' Nowhere In Sight

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
In the Hague, 2024

"Aaannd, the Nobel War Prize goes to... Mr. George Bush!" *thunderous standing ovation*

"We are gathered here today to witness the dawn of a new era in the world. All nations and peoples now have the freedom to participate in the free market. All terrorists have had the opportunity to become part of this great transformation in the community centers they helped build. It was a struggle against all odds the collaborators set in our way for years during my brother's administration, and we almost failed with the McCain Plan. But now we are one voice and one people under God, and we can claim our rightful birthright from the evildoers. I have sent a memo to our new president to declare this a holiday, the first true holiday for freedom and democracy in the entire world! Let liberty reign!"

*thunderous applause again*

Station cuts in for commentary

[edit on 29-5-2006 by Matyas]

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
And some patriots for REAL democracy and liberty blow up the conference! Yeah! And then revolution!

[edit on 28-5-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Okay, as long as we're talking about fiction that gives a political warning, what else do you guys read other than 1984?

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 01:40 AM
link   
[edit on 29-5-2006 by EdenKaia]

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   
This is all very scary; especially because as an american in my 20's it is my friends and my generation that is being sent off to war. Several of my friends are currently in the armed forces and several have been to or are scheduled to go to Iraq and Afghanistan. I am lucky enough to have not lost any of them to this war but how long will it be before I do? We are still just kids and we are dying horrible deaths in a foreign country for a cause that very few of us actually believe in. Not to mention all the innocent Iraqi and Afghan citizens that are collateral damage. I pray that with the next election we will be able to get a president in office that will end this horrible waste of life. The best we as concerned citizens can do is to urge any and everyone over the age of 18 to first educate themselves on the issues and candidates then go to the polls and VOTE! I just hope this time we are given a decent selection of candidates to choose from!

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Non-fictionally, I would go with these choices. I've read Greg Palast's "The Best Money Democracy Can Buy." I have also read, "What's the Matter With Kansas", by Thomas Frank. I also find Russ Kick's set of books interesting (such as "Everything You Know is Wrong") because they go into the underbelly of society. Rep. John Conyers, "What Went Wrong in Ohio?" and Vincent Bugliosi's "Betrayal of America" are also others that I would count as interesting reads that outline some of the problems of the 2000 and 2004 Presidential Elections. Not to mention the book by Scott Ritter as well.

But with science fiction, you can never go wrong with H.G. Wells' "The Time Machine" or E.M. Forster's "The Machine Stops" as it deals with dystopia, technology and war. But I think Orwell's novels are hard to beat when describing the intricate manipulations of society in terms of politics, propaganda, technology and societal conflict. I would also go with Aldous Huxley also, but Orwell writes of the kind of dystopian society that we live in right now.

It is sad that we have gotten this far down the track in American society. And it is a shame that it seems to get worse every day.

[edit on 29-5-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
It's amazing how much a good book can change minds. If you check my profile, you'll see that I am an author. And yes, I do think we all need to read up and go to the polls in November. I am just old enough to remember little bits about Vietnam. It was my father's war. If this current war keeps going, we may see desertions in another few years.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amante
This is all very scary; especially because as an american in my 20's it is my friends and my generation that is being sent off to war.

Well, welcome to life. I served, my father served, my mother served, my grandfather served, my great grandfather served (the South that is)...

But you have a point about believing in what you are doing. I guess any generation wouldn't believe in going to a work camp.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
It never ceases to amaze me how long it took for people to see that this "War On Terror"
was deliberately meant to be infinite. Never ending and a handy excuse to gather support
for War Powers to the Presidency.

9/11 was a criminal act by a small group of radical extremist.

It should have been handled by international law enforcement.

And it could have been handled by international law enforcement.

Bush and Cheney wanted a war to justify billions in military industrial spending.

The War On Terror might as well be the War Against Evil.

It will never end! Bush and Co. have made certain of it, creating a whole new generation
of potential terrorists.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join