It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New satellite tracking website!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
For those of you who love Heavens-Above, you may really like this website:

Real Time Satellite Tracking

The default is the ISS, but there are several hundred different satellites you can view. Along with telling you where it is on a map, it also tells you a whole bunch of information tidbits. Here's a screenshot of the interface.

Enjoy!

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Thanks cmdrkeenkid! I will make use of this resource in my nocturnal skywatchings. I was looking for a way to predict when whatever was overhead (previously I had to use spotty info from the Richmonf Hill observatory near Toronto). This is way handier and I can get it on my laptop thanx to a wireless modem while I'm "out in the sticks". Thanks for another great reason to think highly of the ATS community! Well done!

Thanx,

Victor K.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
I was looking for a way to predict when whatever was overhead (previously I had to use spotty info from the Richmonf Hill observatory near Toronto).

Victor, have you tried Nasa's J-Pass 2.5? It predicts which satellites will be visible on a given time and date based on an observer's geographic location. The interface is a bit non-intuitive, but it is quite a useful tool.

Be sure to heed the following warning that is displayed on their webpage: "You must click the Option button, choose the "Control" tab at the top, and change the Satellites selection to "All Satellite" or "Custom" to get any meaningful results. The default, "Shuttle/Station/Mir" will not return any results, since NASA has consolidated Station and Shuttle tracking at the Human Space Flight Web site, and Mir is no longer in orbit." (I missed that the first time through, and couldn't get the app to work.)

There is also J-Pass Generator, which will predict sattelite passes for your locale and e-mail them to you.

Xeno

[edit on 18-5-2006 by Xenophobe]

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Hey thanx Xenophobe. More good news! I may try both if I can get it working on BSD. Seems doable. I liked the other one because all I had to do was bring up my browser and click, click presto! What normally happens is that I already have a fair idea what to expect on any given night and I'll run across an orbit of whatever that seems out of place and it would take like a day or so to confirm. This way is so much easier I can spot check orbits as needed without as much distraction scribbling notes.

Thanx for the help,

Victor K.

new topics

top topics

join