It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran delivers 1000 SA-7 Strela shoulder fired anti aircraft missiles to Iraq…

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
As well as a “large quantity” of special compressed air roadside explosives. Apparently Iran has Iraq’s best’s interests at heart…They obviously provided these lethal weapons to the insurgents to help support the new Iraqi government.

Source

In the past two weeks, Iran has been pumping into Iraq two types of extra-lethal weapons in very large quantities. They have already taken their toll in the shooting down of two military helicopters - one American and one British – and an estimated 19 deaths of US military personnel.

DEBKAfile’s military and intelligence sources estimate the delivery to Iraqi insurgents as consisting of around 1,000 SA-7 Strela ground-air missiles made in Iran, and a very large quantity of a newly-developed roadside bomb, loaded with compressed gas instead of ball bearings and cartridges, to magnify their blast and explosive power.

The supplies have been distributed across Iraq - Basra and Amara in the south, Baghdad and its environs, Haditha in the west, and Mosul in the north.

About the Strela:
Source

That border really needs to be locked down…

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
well what do you know, if it ain't skippy with his same BS about Iran. Come to think of it, thats too bad i guess because i was hoping the insurgents would be getting the brand new misagh-2

[edit on 17-5-2006 by Mehran]

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
If these Mossad agents knew for 2 weeks this was going on, why did they wait 2 weeks and then release the info? Probably planting the stuff themselves.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Wow,

Two responses and two amazing statements of hatred. One hoping the insurgents get better weapons and the other an anti-Semite.

At least you guys don’t veil your hatred...

And dont worry Mehran, you and yours are making your own beds. Soon you will have to sleep in them...

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Sorry if I am sceptical of a single Israeli source in this matter skippy, particularly as it has been covered in the mainstream press long ago.

Old SA7's huh?

'Course I don't suppose there might be the slightest possibility that at least some of this stuff is in fact the stocks of the more advanced US 'Stinger' being used, hmmm?

What with the way the US showered that kind of weaponry on the region not so long ago when it suited them, eh?
You'll even find stories about British Blowpipes knocking about too.

Well, I suppose with the way Bush, Rummy and the rest are thought of in the US right now the last thing they need is for stories to turn up about how US (and the allied) servicemen are being killed by the weapons 'we' once supplied, hmmmm?

No chance of that kind of thing making the headlines (again), right?

Until the invasion of Iraq, many of the shoulder-fired weapons believed to be outside government controls were those provided by the United States and its allies to mujahedeen fighters in Afghanistan to assist in their resistance against Soviet forces during the 1980's. Those weapons included American-made Stinger and British-made Blowpipe missiles, but by December 2002, American-led forces in Afghanistan had captured more than 5,000 of the missiles from the Taliban and Al Qaeda, according to news reports at the time.

www.myaoc.org/eweb/images/aoc_library/Advocacy/Legislative/ManPads/NYTimes_11062004.pdf

Oooooh that scary old Iran, huh!

[edit on 17-5-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Wow,

Two responses and two amazing statements of hatred. One hoping the insurgents get better weapons and the other an anti-Semite.

And dont worry Mehran, you and yours are making your own beds. Soon you will have to sleep in them...

yeah i hope the insurgents get better weapons because the whole world is tired of the way your government is running things and how you messed everything up in the middle east, by the way i am comfortable with my king size bed

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mehran

yeah i hope the insurgents get better weapons because the whole world is tired of the way your government is running things and how you messed everything up in the middle east, by the way i am comfortable with my king size bed

yeah and hopefully they will start using some more white phosphorous.

iran is cruising for a black eye. unfortuneately it will be their people that will suffer for the decisions of their government.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
If these Mossad agents knew

That's like how they warned the US of 9/11, and no one listened. So did they plant it, or leak it?

Timing is every thing.

Since this is related, how you may ask that much is obvious "U.S. policy on Iran";

Preparing for a Nuclear Iran: The Role of the CIA

Strategic Insights

[edit on 17-5-2006 by ADVISOR]

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
iran is cruising for a black eye. unfortuneately it will be their people that will suffer for the decisions of their government.

That is the sad truth of this terrible situation. People do not have to die.

Iran, remember that you had the choice of not going to war and getting along. You are so eager to become martyrs for the cause. Who prospers from this cause? Do you see these same people martyring themselves for the same cause or just thanking those who do?

We all had the choice of peace. So sad.

Iran is lighting the fuze which will take everyone out. I pray for us all that it is not too late walk away from this horrible thing.

[edit on 17-5-2006 by xman_in_blackx]

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Hey skippytjc,

I agree with ya' on the border part; we need to do our best to seal it.

If the media is to be believed the coalition forces were able to pretty much seal it during the elections.

I don't know how well it would work over the long-haul, though. Even with all the bombing and ground ops that took place along the borders in Vietnam we still never choked off those supply routes; just drove the basecamps and supply lines deeper into laos and Cambodia, further destabilizing those regimes.

Granted, technology, terrain, and regional geopolitics are different now...

Somebody on another thread was talking about reports that the pentagon was notifying units to be desert trained and ready for deployment soon, units about 10-15,000 strong, I believe, for unspecified ops. The scuttlebutt was that they were prepping for ops in Iran itself.

I wonder, though, if they aren't getting ready to do some work along that border.

Someone needs to have a serious conversation with the Russians regarding their supply of equipment and intelligence to Iran, imho.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Wow,

Two responses and two amazing statements of hatred. and the other an anti-Semite.

ahaha Anti-semitic because I don't like the Mossad? I owe them no allegiance. You want to brown nose a bunch of assassins and saboteurs extraordinaire you go right ahead. You wanna be in the Mossad fan club ...help yourself. They always happen to be in the right places at the right time and with just the right info to suit the occasion or their purposes. Convenient.

I hear they pay very well for information from US Government employees tho, just ask Johnathan Pollard.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Lets cool the personal remarks

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 03:51 AM
link   
SA-7s are fair game, these are available on the black market, not a big deal for iran to be supplying the iraqis with them, if they wanted to they could export much more sophesticated shoulder launched sams than the sa7

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
Sorry if I am sceptical of a single Israeli source in this matter skippy, particularly as it has been covered in the mainstream press long ago.

Old SA7's huh?

'Course I don't suppose there might be the slightest possibility that at least some of this stuff is in fact the stocks of the more advanced US 'Stinger' being used, hmmm?

What with the way the US showered that kind of weaponry on the region not so long ago when it suited them, eh?
You'll even find stories about British Blowpipes knocking about too.

Well, I suppose with the way Bush, Rummy and the rest are thought of in the US right now the last thing they need is for stories to turn up about how US (and the allied) servicemen are being killed by the weapons 'we' once supplied, hmmmm?

No chance of that kind of thing making the headlines (again), right?

Until the invasion of Iraq, many of the shoulder-fired weapons believed to be outside government controls were those provided by the United States and its allies to mujahedeen fighters in Afghanistan to assist in their resistance against Soviet forces during the 1980's. Those weapons included American-made Stinger and British-made Blowpipe missiles, but by December 2002, American-led forces in Afghanistan had captured more than 5,000 of the missiles from the Taliban and Al Qaeda, according to news reports at the time.

www.myaoc.org/eweb/images/aoc_library/Advocacy/Legislative/ManPads/NYTimes_11062004.pdf

Oooooh that scary old Iran, huh!

Hmm well you're quite prepared to use a single source stating that over 5000 of these Stingers and Blowpipes have been captured, disregarding the fact that these figures are incredibly overblown. Let's not forget either that these weapons hvae a shelf life and 1980's are not going to function anywhere near 100% if they were used.

In late 2001, Pentagon officials acknowledged that some of the 2,000 missiles sent to Afghan fighters during the 1980s might have fallen into the hands of Taliban or Al-Qaeda fighters.

www.payvand.com...

PS. The Blowpipe was a crappy missile and the Mujahideen refused to use it, it didn't even use IR guidance rather SACLOS.

new topics

top topics

join