It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name of F-35 to be released within weeks

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Please don't let it be Spitfire II, It would be a shame for the most elegant plane ever built to get butt ugly plane like F-35 named after it.

Cyclone would be my bet (lots of free ad space for old mercurys too
)

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Its a pretty dismal list though isn't it. I had oped that the mention of 'Spitfire II' I had mentioned earlier was a joke. Alas not then.

There has actually been a Reaper before, the Gloster Reaper, but it only existed as a single prototype and it was a ground attack development of the Gloster Meteor with tip tanks and underwing Rockets a la Hawker Typhoon et al.

Cyclone would prolly be acceptable to the RAF going as it does with Typhoon and Tornado (but not as well as Tempest does - are you listening Air Vice Marshall?)

In the final analysis however I think all 6 are rubbish, actually. Not impressed one little bit. Who decided on the final 6, GW?

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
In the final analysis however I think all 6 are rubbish, actually. Not impressed one little bit. Who decided on the final 6, GW?

I agree, picking from that list is like picking the best out of the worst.
If I was forced I’d go with either Cyclone or Reaper, some of these names don’t even make sense and none go well with F-35. I mean seriously Spitfire II? Piasa, someone care to tell me what that is? And then we have Black Mamba, which makes me go WTF? Were they watching too much Kill Bill or something? And I do think these 6 names were slanted a bit on the European/British side.
And no, GW did not pick the names, only the secretary of the branch involved decides the name of a system, hence the dialogue between the Navy, AF, and Marines.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I was joking about GW, alluding to the mentality of the person who made these the final 6

If they are slanted towards the UK then I would suggest only in such a way as to what someone from America might think was a name we would like. If so, then he needs to think again

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Actually, I think that Typhoon II would be a great choice.

Also, I stumbled across a site that had some really neat pix of an F-35 undergoing assembly. Here is the link, for your viewing pleasure....

F-35 Construction

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jezza

They are: Black Mamba, Cyclone, Lightning II, Piasa, Reaper and Spitfire II.

What the
Piasa

Is that this thing?
virtual.parkland.edu... rockartA.htm

Man I hope they dont pick that

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Pyros, how could it be the Typhoon II when the real Typhoon II is the Eurofighter Typhoon?

You might as well call it the 'Raptorlet'

jra

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jezza
They are: Black Mamba, Cyclone, Lightning II, Piasa, Reaper and Spitfire II.

If that's the official 6 names that are left, I then kind of hope they go for the 'Cyclone'. That was seems to fit best. The 'Reaper' is ok, but not great. 'Spitfire II' is a great name, but a better plane deserves that name.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by emile
F-35 should be called Thunder Dragon!

Maybe firedrake?
Or Lightning II

As same of what I have said, F-35 has already been named Lightning II. How correct of my guess!
Cheers! Everyone!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join