It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name of F-35 to be released within weeks

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The Star-Telegram reports Air Force chief of staff Gen. Mosley will release the name of the F-35 (Joint Strike Fighter) by end of June, according to his spokesman.

Is it Phoenix? Maybe a Lynx?
Ideas for the F-35s name are ample, but for now it's top secret

Five years after the Pentagon embarked on the joint strike fighter program, the Lockheed Martin F-35 is just weeks away from getting a name, and the final recommendations are as closely guarded as plans for an Air Force bombing strike.

Overseeing the naming process is Gen. T. Michael "Buzz" Moseley, the Air Force chief of staff who grew up in Grand Prairie.

After soliciting recommendations from the military services and eight partner nations helping develop the plane, top Air Force officials have narrowed the list to a handful of finalists and are moving toward a decision by the end of June, Moseley's spokesman said Saturday.

"We're down to a few," said Maj. Glen Roberts. "We're in the finals."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I wasn't even aware they were looking for a name for the plane, I thought they would keep it "Joint Strike Fighter".

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I hope its Phoenix rather then Lynx. Lynx reminds me too much of the UK heliocopter of the same name, and if its between a small cat or a mythical fire bird I have to go with the bird.

Fury wouldnt be a bad choice either with Variations for each model in the different services

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
It's gonna be called...............

TURKEY!

A Damn great Wild useless turkey....... or maybe...........

WHITE ELEPHANT!.......

Get rid of this piece of c### and get a whole fleet of Gripens and typhoons. Sod the US and its games over what can and cannot be done or used with / around the f-35, and have three times as many aircraft for the same money.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Well, it will be named after a bird as the convention seems to dictate.

Falcon, Eagle, Raptor are all birds. I know the Hornet does not follow suit, so who knows?

I think it should be called:

The F-35 Skippy!

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

I think it should be called:

The F-35 Skippy!

I would suggest it be called the Shadow then

Sky Shadow for the AF
Sea Shadow for the Navy
Storm Shadow for the Marines

better luck next time Army

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
It will be called the Thunder Pigeon or the Chickadee

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Census
It will be called the Thunder Pigeon or the Chickadee

I like "Thunder Pigeon"!!

Imagine a high end, ultra deadly fighter named Thunder Pigeon just shot you down. I can hear it now:

"Hey, you hear Eddie was shot down today?"
"really? What got him?"
"They say it was a Thunder Pigeon!"
"Thunder Pigeon?"
"Yes, a Thunder Pigeon"
"Oy..."

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Zion Mainframe,

Fury is a childish name for an emotion best expressed as a 4 year old having a tantrum. Given our current status in the World's Eye, it is hardly an apt name to be giving unto our latest war chariot.

It is also British and while the U.S. is currently already bent over a barrel selling what our 'special friends' need rather than what we do, the fact remains that the Fury in both biplane and monoplane formats was a dated aerodynamic designs long before they ever fought a war-

www.jaapteeuwen.com...
www.fleetairarmarchive.net...

Which of course makes it (ironically) an entirely appropriate but rather uninspiring sobriquet for a jet that is itself nothing more or less than Lunchmeats excuse to 'no matter what!' suck the exchequer dry so as not to end up dead-and-red themselves.

'Vampire' being another great British-farce aviation blunder.

Of course there is at least the wondrous notion that, with an ATL turret fitted, the jet might be called...(drum beat please!) 'Star Fury' as the representation of yet another British owned 'scifighter' marketing over sense concept.

>>
The Star-Telegram reports Air Force chief of staff Gen. Mosley will release the name of the F-35 (Joint Strike Fighter) by end of June, according to his spokesman.
>>

Whoopy. We all await with baited breath. As opposed to the blase` indifference with which we will wave off notification that the JSF is not a 191, not a 219, not a 257, nor even a 276 but a 300 billion dollar program. After all 'a billion here and there', matters hardly not so long as it's the Ami Taxpayers who pony up to guarantee foreign sales prices. Eh Whot? DEWS you say? Bollocks my good man!

>>
Ideas for the F-35s name are ample, but for now it's top secret
>>

Am I supposed to feel 'part of the club' by sending in my vote or something? Industrial Fraud is as Deficiecy Act Governmental Fraud purchases. In any case, it wouldn't hurt to publish the list and thus give us something like a "The dummies shoulda picked the other one!" satisfaction when they inevitabely call it the Fighting Chickenhawk instead of the short and brutally truthful: "Armed Robbery".

>>
Five years after the Pentagon embarked on the joint strike fighter program, the Lockheed Martin F-35 is just weeks away from getting a name, and the final recommendations are as closely guarded as plans for an Air Force bombing strike.
>>

Tap-tap-tap is this thing on? (Cricket Noises). You guys need to fire your marketing director. Right Now. Real Bad.

>>
Overseeing the naming process is Gen. T. Michael "Buzz" Moseley, the Air Force chief of staff who grew up in Grand Prairie.
>>

Say what you mean then explain what you mean then emphasize what you mean. Even when it's purely meaningless. Given that all men are from Mars, why should Steve Canyon's point of droppage in BFE Lone Star matter to me? We all KNOW it's a GDFW:London conspiracy to make the rich richer folks. The POTUS grew up in the People's Republic Of Houston too, 'member?

Duuuh.

>>
After soliciting recommendations from the military services and eight partner nations helping develop the plane, top Air Force officials have narrowed the list to a handful of finalists and are moving toward a decision by the end of June, Moseley's spokesman said Saturday.
>>

Golly Wally, you mean the old man was too busy making a list and checking it twice to come to the phone in person? What will his fan club think of him nose thumbing them? Oh the humanity of it all.

>>
"We're down to a few," said Maj. Glen Roberts. "We're in the finals."
>>

Which is the same as gloating that SDD is in the bag 'no matter how badly the jet screws up' because the Air Farce has effectively killed off all the other competitors by smothering them with cold dead hands in their cribs. Never mind that they were better. Never mind that this thing is a piece of trash. It's off to the races!

>>
I wasn't even aware they were looking for a name for the plane, I thought they would keep it "Joint Strike Fighter".
>>

Yeah, we're so innovative like that. Thunderdolt II. F-111 Blank. Fighting Fallacy. F-15 Beagle (till the pooch howls!). 'AMRAAM'.

CONCLUSION:
Given the location and the justification, I can only think of one man who can summatively define this phase of the RICO crime now in progress. Yes, sirree bob, it was indeed Larry Hagman who once said of pure evil: "You may love to hate me, but I will be laughing at you all, all the way to the bank..."

And the peanut gallery roared.

KPl.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Well only one person can write a thousand word xenophobic tirade about an aircraft's name.

I think it should be called Shooting Star 2 after that aircraft that was "another great American-farce aviation blunder" and "a dated aerodynamic design long before it ever fought a war".

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I'd like it to be something short and snappy like 'F-35 Venom' for example. As long as it isn't anything as painfully forced as 'Fighting Falcon', yuk.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I think it should be called Hurricane or Camel or Overstrand or something of similarly superior pedigree.

[edit on 17-5-2006 by planeman]

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Phoenix or Kestrel

Razorback would work well for me, as well.

seekerof

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Ah yes, you can't beat pedigree. If KPI's assessment of the F-35 is completely correct (which it may well be) and if the Americans choose a British name to sweeten us up then it should be carefully chosen to mirror its equivalents in the past. Vote Bobolink or Gnatsnapper, or even Defiant!

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Flying turd
harrier 3
flyinging bathtub
lead balloon
ef2000 fodder
hairy cockatoo
penut butta jelly time :pbj:

If I have to choose a serious name...

Joint strike fighter

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
screaming budgie

freedom seagull

liberty chicken

big f&n target for SS-N-25 Onyx

cash cow

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I remember the first time I saw the video of it hovering. I thought what a shame that hornet has already been taken. From the rear, that's what it reminded me of.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I'd like for the F-22 to be called the Umbra, and the F-35 to be called the Penumbra. It would even match their qualities, with the F-22 being the primary, more stealthy fighter, and the F-35 being the secondary strike fighter.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
As much as I don’t mind F-35 Phoenix I don't think they will go with that route. We already had the AIM-54 Phoenix. As for what it will be called, your guess is as good as mine.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Wow, not only is the F-35 going to be taken out by a whole bunch of rabid hunter killer drone thingies, but now surface to surface missiles (SS-N-25) are killing it as well! The platform really does suck, doesn't it?

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Because you know, every other plane in the world is immune to hunter-killer drones and anti-aircraft missiles.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join