It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heterosexuality a choice?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Ok, so I was listening to some talk radio tonight, and this question came up. If homosexuality is a choice, then shouldnt heterosexuality also be considered choice. And if thats true then can anyone heterosexual tell you the moment they knew or made the choice that they were heterosexual? I cant, Ive been thinking about it for a while and I cant think of any specific moment that I came to realize or choose that I was a straight guy(If there was such a moment). Food for thought.

[edit on 5/16/2006 by ludaChris]

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I'd have to think that what goes for homosexuality also goes for heterosexuality, especially since, in some studies, the brain of a homosexual, in so far as the centers associated with arousal and attraction, are active in ways similar to heterosexual members of the opposite sex (iow, gay men think like women, wrt attraction).

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris
If homosexuality is a choice, then shouldnt heterosexuality also be considered choice.

No, heterosexuality is the natural state, then some people makes a choice to abandon that natural state and become homosexual.

At least that's the argument.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I can remember when I started to like the opposite sex. it was when i hit puberty. It was no descision. It happened soon after, when I started looking at boys as more than an annoyance to beat my frustrations upon. I dont remember what triggered it, but more than likely its was of course, biology and hormones kicking in for the first time. There was never any desire nor question in my mind whether or not I felt sexually attracted to females. I didnt. It seemed overnight to me. Before that, i was, like msot children, relatively asexual in desires.

So I suppsoe you can say the same thing for homosexuals. perhaps they just wake up when they hit puberty and go the other way. Do homosexuals develop during puberty in the same way that heterosexuals do? or does something happen to them to alter the puberty years to make them prefer the same sex?

My two best friends, during piberty, could be considered bisexual, and had relationships with other girls. But now both are strictly heterosexual, with no desire for women. No, they didnt become religous or anything. Did they grow out of homosexual behavior, or were they not really gay and were just experimenting with it?

One could also argue that homosexuality occurs naturally, but is a disease, an abberration, like psychosis, downs syndrome, or any other defect that causes people to behave abnormally or crave things that are not "normal".

It could be an arguement used for or against homosexuality.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Most of the science behind this is junk because you would have to study such a large section of people for so many years just to devlop a baseline database. We really do not understand what learned behavior is to its full degree. For instance why one person learns the opposite of another with the same input in a control situation.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Do homosexuals develop during puberty in the same way that heterosexuals do?

Yes, exactly! Although the world doesn't want to hear this.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I don't think it's a choice.

My sixth grade teacher Mrs. Gordon (who seemed old at the time but was really only twenty five or so) leaned over my desk to help me with a math problem. I failed math, but the minute she leaned over...well I just knew that Mr. Gordon was a very lucky man.

It's not a choice, at least in my opinion. When I look at oh say Angelina Jolie I think, actually I think I can get band for writing what I think, but needless to say it's instictual. I know it's instinct because when I look at Brad Pitt the only thing that goes through my mind is...lucky shmo (well not shmo but close enough).

I'm sure for gay men it's the same thing but reversed.

Women too, though I had a girlfriend once...never mind.

IMO sexuality is not a choice.

SPiderj

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
No, heterosexuality is the natural state, then some people makes a choice to abandon that natural state and become homosexual.

At least that's the argument.

Thats the point I was trying to make, I mean I dont know anyone of my friends(or myself for that matter) who can tell me the moment they decided to be straight. I should have made it less subtle.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
I can remember when I started to like the opposite sex. it was when i hit puberty.

We all know when we started liking the opposite sex but it wasnt a choice it just happened. This is what is blurring the line in coming to the decision that homosexuals choose to be that way or are born that way. I figure I was just born liking women but it wasnt a concious decision it just happend that way.

top topics

join