It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican Navy to buy SU-27s

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
10 Su-27s? That means only one thing: Capital defence. The only time those would go toward the border would be for a joint mission with the US. Otherwise, expect to only see them hovering close to Mexico City.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Hey, i've been following ATS for awhile and finially decided to join. I just want to say that, if I do recall correctly, Mexico was also looking at Gripens and the Su-27s beat them out. I apoligize if this view has already been said but 10 is a pretty pathetic number, but only giving Mexico 10 would mean that as corrupt as they are, they wont be able to really endanger themselves. I'm not sure how theyd do that but it is Mexico. Also as the information on this topic is barely there, I think that it is safe to assume that there is a plentiful number of options and that we will be seeing alot more then 10 in the future.

Personally i think that the 27s are way better then the Gripens and that im happy to see them getting exported to the Americas and keeping russian aerospace alive. Now if only Canada would have picked up on the Eurofighters.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Why?....

With the EuroFighter's development history, Canada would be better off by surplus F-14s...at least THEY work right.

jra

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TSR2005
Why?....

With the EuroFighter's development history, Canada would be better off by surplus F-14s...at least THEY work right.

Firstly, as much as I like the F-14, it would be a bad choice for Canada, mostly due to the maintenance it needs. I believe the average time is 50 maintenance hours for every flight hour. Not good.

Secondly, how does the Typhoon not work right? That's an honest question. I haven't followed the aircraft in great detail. There seem to be a great number of them flying now, so I'd assume there arn't any serious issues with them. And I feel that the Typhoon would be a good replacement for Canada's aging F-18's. Either the that or some variant of the Su-30's.

And good for Mexico if they get they get the Su-27. They seem like a good, solid, affordable aircraft.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Escrotumus
they ought to take that money they are blowing on those su-27's and redistribute it to their citizenry. mexico has way too many other problems to waste money on this stuff. too bad we have to live on the border of such a country that would rather see a mass exodus of its own citizenry rather than fix the obvious problems of poverty and corruption which is what is driving them out. id like 5 minutes with vinny fox to give him a piece of my mind. why mexicans are so loyal to that government ill never understand. as feisty as they are here in the US i would think by now they would have revolted against the nobles in their own country and taken it back for themselves.

That's quite a symplistic opinnion. First of all, i'm a Mexican and i'm glad the Navy modernizes, just in case you don't know, every single day Cuban Mig's violates the Mexican Air space between Cuba and Yucatán, a few months ago, they seized a Mexican fishing vessel supported with patrol boats and charged the crew of human smuggling even when they had nobody on board and were sailing in Mexican waters. In the last couple years Cuba and Venezuela has been harassment any statement of our govt, acusing it of being following US policies.
A patrol of this planes would drive this guys out of the border.

It never has been a problem with US planes crossing the border, there are indeed programs of cooperation in the interception of jet smugglers that can't be reached by the F-5's due to their range.

On the other hand, we have jobs here in México, but as goods and services, they follow the Law of offer and demand, if you have better salaries, then many people will decide to leave. And the one and single reason because of Mexicans go to your country, is because they GET HIRED. I don't understand why some of you are so paranoic about an invasion, a future attack or whatever, let me tell you something, the first people in defend your soil in an emergency will be the Mexican Americans. we have a proverb: "no le des patadas al pesebre", wich means: don't kick the feeder recipient (don't know the word for pesebre). Ask that to 50K Mex-Am foot soldiers in Irak.

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a little off topic maybe, sorry..

Fishbed, respect for your government, which has the guts to buy what they like and not care if the USA will be happy. My corrupt government will buy F-16s at the same price as Su 30/37 just to keep the USA happy. It's a shame.
Most countries buy F-16 for political reasons and this helpes the americans further promote this POS as 'the most sucessful light fighter'. MiG 29M's haven't scored a sale yet, because of the US government's leverage on small countries. Mirage 2000-5/9 also suffers although it is vastly superior to F-16.
The arrogance of the US is unbelievable. You should just see the bribed officials in my country talk about the great F-16, and the rubish MiG 29's which have to be scrapped instead of upgraded. People who know nothing of aviation decide what should be bought, and for a couple thousand dollars in bribe will even agree to buy Cessna 182's for air defence.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join