It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Calls Upon US To Close Guantanamo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
The Attorney General, Lord Goldsmith has called for the closure of the Guantanamo Bay detention camp. During a speech in London he called for it to be closed saying Guantanamo was a symbol of injustice and its existence was "unacceptable".

news.bbc.co.uk
"It is time, in my view, that it should close. Not only would it, in my personal opinion, be right to close Guantanamo as a matter of principle, I believe it would also help to remove what has become a symbol to many - right or wrong - of injustice.

"The historic tradition of the United States as a beacon of freedom, liberty and of justice deserves the removal of this symbol."

Rights groups have said the detainees, held on suspicion of involvement in terrorism, are mistreated through cruel interrogation methods - a charge the US denies.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Everybody here will have a different view of Guantanamo...But my view is that it should remain there and not be closed.

I believe the UK are wrong to ask for its closure as the US obviously has reason to believe the inmates are a threat to the peaceful world.

Wheter or not the methods of interrorgation are as bad as people say they are remains to be seen...BUT...Im sure the prisoners wouldnt be too kind with our boys if it was the other way round!!!

join