It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing v Golf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 05:48 AM
link   
In light of Stangerous' sports thread, I thought I'd have a rant of my own.

Boxing is a great, athletic, punishing sport that takes courage, strength, agility and intelligence (let's not think about Tyson).

Golf is a sad, boring, slow game that requires money, naff clothes, and good weather. There's skill involved, but it doesn't make it any less of a drag to watch.

No contest really....but then they are completely different "sports". Still, Boxing is far superior to Golf....anyone disagree?

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I'm an avid golfer as well as loving to watch it, especially when Tiger and Phil are stomping all the Euros.
j/k I also follow boxing very closely and go to Vegas for select fights that are "can't miss".

I can understand why people find golf boring to watch. I think it's more of an appreciation thing because hackers like myself realize how hard it is to do what those guys do. Hitting a golfball correctly is simply one of the hardest things to do in all of sport.

BTW, the best boxer in the world is Manny Paquiao from the Phillipines. He's worth the price of pay-per-view......I guarantee it!

Peace

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
To begin, your "best boxer" claim is a mile off the mark old chap. I think you'll find that that crown belongs to my fellow Welshman Joe Calzaghe
Jeff Lacy learned what happens when you underestimate the Brits. I haven't seen a fight like that in years, it was superb. Unless you were backing Lacy

But as for Golf, I have tried playing myself, and yes, it is incredibly hard to hit a golf ball well, never mind perfectly, without serious dedication or skill. I actually don't mind golf as much as I let on, it just doesn't get the blood flowing like football or boxing. For the slower paced sport, I'd go for Snooker/Pool/Billiards over Golf. If you can play Golf, it's a lot of fun, but otherwise there's just not enough "going on".

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I don't mind playing golf at all, but I think I'd prefer to watch paint dry on the walls than watch it. There's just no excitement in it at all, imo.

Boxing is well fun to "play", too.

I wouldn't call myself a boxing fan but I have no problem watching a fight. I wanted to take up boxing a few weeks ago but my mum doesn't want me getting hurt.... Yeah, right! More like she doesn't want to see other people get hurt by me!

Edit:
I forgot to cough at the end, my bad.

[edit on 4-5-2006 by xeroxed88]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Golf is exactly what Dr Love has said, something you really need to appreciate.

In regards to Boxing, it can be a great sport and something to watch. But lately it is filled with punks who are doing more trash talk outside of the ring, then throwing punches in the ring. Seems like more often then not the matches could be fixed, or atleast skeptical to say the least. I do enjoy boxing, however I do find it very possible to be full of corruption.

Golf is something I find myself watching on Sundays when Tiger is in the running. Mainly because Tiger has turned the game into a sport full of emotion, rather than a pure gentlemans game. The game has been under transition for quite awhile since Tiger has won the masters in '97 I believe it was and it will continue to change.

Somebody who can hit the ball with the distance and accuracy these guys do, deserve to be applauded.

The same goes for these athletes can have the endurance to battle in a ring for 15 rounds, but there are a few bad cats in the industry that are ruining it for the rest.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Its like comparing chess to Archery!
I love Golf! Hate to watch it but I think it is one of the most relaxing enjoyable sports ever. Beer, sunshine, beer carts, hitting the crap out of a little ball named after my boss.
As for Boxing it is a very extreme grueling sport that takes a lot of hard work and dedication as well as a good medical plan.
but, I don't think a comparison between these two sports could ever be done.:w:

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
With regards to the corruption side of Boxing, yeah, there's bad apples, but good homegrown boxers like Ricky "The Hitman" Hatton are reaching their primes in excellent shape, while staying honest and decent sportsmen. Amir Khan is another young boxer who, if he manages to learn how to defend well, will be a good, decent sportsman.

Golf.....yeah, I appreciate the skill and altheticism it takes, but it's just not as exciting, not enough variety. Tiger is probably never going to be topped, so until he retires it's going to be too predictable. But then, I rarely watch Golf, so perhaps I'm not giving it enough credit. Each to their own though, it's certainly got far more right to call itself a sport than Curling

[edit on 4-5-2006 by chebob]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpinDropSmile
I don't think a comparison between these two sports could ever be done.:w:

Your probably right, but it's not impossible to compare their individual merits as "Sports".

Perhaps it should have been "Boxing vs Wrestling", but then there'd be even less to debate

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by chebob
With regards to the corruption side of Boxing, yeah, there's bad apples, but good homegrown boxers like Ricky "The Hitman" Hatton are reaching their primes in excellent shape, while staying honest and decent sportsmen. Amir Khan is another young boxer who, if he manages to learn how to defend well, will be a good, decent sportsman.

Never heard of them but no doubt a great story behind these names. However, can they ever expect to make it to the top of the game without buying into the system. Don King is always behind every big name bout, I see no change in sight for this.

The honest man can not make it big in Boxing, he has to conform in order to make it.

And sadly, conformity in boxing means corruption. Take a dive here, and recieve the big payday on the rematch.

Golf may not be exciting to everybody, but it is honest.

Boxing has reached the point where the guys are that strong, they can KO a guy with one punch. With has had the boxers rely on all defense. Fifteen rounds of two guys dancing around looking for their spots. The rare fight (Gatti vs. Ward Trilogy) is a moment of brilliance for the sport, however they are too far in between.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Hatton is 40 fights unbeaten, a monster with an Iron chin. He took apart possibly Australias best hope, Kostya Tszyu. He is already the WBA Light Welterweight Champion, he is looking for more and he's expected to get it. It's safe to say this lad's not going to be corrupted, and his best is yet to come.

It's a shame about the promotion side of things because it makes it harder for real good boxers like Ricky to get the worldwide recognition they deserve.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Hatton is 40 fights unbeaten, a monster with an Iron chin. He took apart possibly Australias best hope, Kostya Tszyu. He is already the WBA Light Welterweight Champion, he is looking for more and he's expected to get it. It's safe to say this lad's not going to be corrupted, and his best is yet to come.

It's a shame about the promotion side of things because it makes it harder for real good boxers like Ricky to get the worldwide recognition they deserve.

Actually mate , at the moment the Hitman(technicaly of course we know hes the best) is with out a title .

He gave up the IBF version shortly after stopping Maussa in the unification match. and has just given up his WBA version , hoping that the WBA will sanction his upcoming Welter weight fight against Luis Collazo as a title bout on the 13 th of this month.

But the Ring magazine still rate him as No 1 Junior/light welter weight.And that IMO is what is important I don't buy into the whole alphabet title mess.

On the promotional side of things I don't think (although we can never know for sure what went down) splitting from Frank Warren was a clever move , its IMO that the split was enginered by Hattons Dad , motivated by greed. Still It does not sully my opinion of him , he is very very exiting to watch , and im sure will get rave reviews when he fights in Boston this month , I know the mexicans in America like him alot already because of his relentless "Mexican" style of fighting.

To Chissler , Hatton is already at the top of his game , there are not too many boxers in the world who can sell 22,000 tickets (sometimes against poor opposition) time after time *note Frank Warren has the rights to stage the next 3 fights at the Manchester evening news arena, another reason that Hatton should not have split IMO but I digress.

Also big up to Chebob for starting a thread about boxing,something I could talk about all day and night

And my prediction Hatton to stop Collazo in the first 6 rounds on the 13th

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Ah yeah, I read about him "giving up" the title this morning, but I don't think Ricky had to think long. He wants to prove himself, so he doesn't mind giving up one thing to get another.

And of course, if your not "with Frank", your chances of getting the biggest and best fights are automaticaly reduced

But thats why I like Hatton, he is still going strong, still wowing the fans and he's still one of the best boxers to watch. I agree with you that he will beat Collazo, but I'm going ot be cheeky and say a 5th round stoppage

Calzhage is similar to Hatton, and almost impossible to KO, but his career has been checkered. He's had so many personal problems, big name fights missed, and fights against obviously inferior opponents, that a lot of people have lost faith in him. But if he gets the "big" fight he wants, I think he will be back up there in the limelight.

I think somoene should start an actual boxing thread, because sooner or later I'm going to get flamed about Golf again, and then I won't know what to say

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   

But thats why I like Hatton, he is still going strong, still wowing the fans and he's still one of the best boxers to watch. I agree with you that he will beat Collazo, but I'm going ot be cheeky and say a 5th round stoppage

Honestly, I think Collazo was robbed. Hatton caught him off balance in the first and never really did anything the rest of the fight except grab and hold. I had never seen Hatton fight before and my anticipation quickly turned to disgust. Hatton's crazy if he thinks he can take on Floyd Mayweather Jr. or Anotnio Margarito, he'll get destroyed.

Peace

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Ah, controversial decision. I'll admit that Hatton got a lot more than he was expecting, and barely got through the fight, he still deserved his win for his resilience and the first round knockdown (
).

Seriously, he deserved the win for going in there and getitng the job done, no matter how much punching he took later on or how close it was. Close decision, but the right one. And you know it

Heck, people (very few, but still) were saying the same thing after Calzhage vs. Lacy, it's hard to stay unbiased when it's a big "UK vs. USA" bout.

But, I agree, he shouldn't be looking at Mayweather..............yet!

He still has that potential, he won the fight, and probably learned a lot more about what it takes to move up to that weight. If he can improve in the right areas, I'd be unable to call Hatton/Mayweather. After seeing Lacy, Tyson etc., it's easy to pass over a lot of the USA Boxing hype

[edit on 15-5-2006 by chebob]

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The only way Hatton competes with Mayweather is if Mayweather takes him lightly, which he has been known to do with inferior fighters. But, put Mayweather in there with a brawler, ala Gatti, and he has no choice but to unleash hell. Hatton won't last five rounds with Margarito, Mayweather or De la Hoya. Maybe Gatti might be more up his alley, right now at least.

And Chebob my friend, as far as referring to Tyson as "hype", in his later years yes, but in his prime he may have been the greatest fighter ever.......including Ali.

Peace

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

And Chebob my friend, as far as referring to Tyson as "hype", in his later years yes, but in his prime he may have been the greatest fighter ever.......including Ali.

Peace

I agree that he was one of the best. I wouldn't want to break wind near his house. But he never had the composition to be The best, he just didn't have the self control. He was hard as nails, but IMO he wasn't the Top Dog, not even in his prime. Close? Definately, but not quite.

Now Chris Eubank had everything - Strength, Riding Suits, Monocles, Bizzare behaviour. How can you not love good old Eubank! If he doesn't knock you out, he'll have you with his wit (or his cane)

[edit on 15-5-2006 by chebob]

new topics

top topics

join